Looking at buying a new TDI sportswagen, couple questions first.

RVincelette

I currently own a 2002 VW TDI jetta sedan. Since I have bought it I had replaced the turbo 2 times. The last time was just recently at 90,000 miles. The other time was under warentee at around 45,000 miles. I plan on having a child soon and would like to upgrade to a new car.

The two cars I am looking at are a 2010 Toyota Prius or a 2010 VW Sportswagen TDI. I'm sure all of you are going to recommond the VW. I test drove and sat in both today. I really like the design of the VW, it is roomier and has more grunt. The only thing I like about Prius is the reliablility of the car over the VW.

I did alot of research on the both and I am still uncertain on how common the turbos going bad are in the TDI's. Is the problem something I can avoid by installing aftermarket items (blowoff valve or Turbo timer)? Did I just get a lemon or does this stuff happen? I was deligent with my oil changes and put Delvac everytime I did a change. I replaced he timing belt when I was due. Can anyone put my fear aside so I can go and buy this car and not worry about it?

Thanks for the help.
Ryan Vincelette

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
The turbo failures are NOT common.

Welcome to Fred's!

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
My original turbo lasted 97K. The wagon has tons more room. But I would ask if you drive mostly short trips, the hybrid will deliver better economy. The engine and drive train is better suited for stop and go traffic. If you have long trips the diesel shines, especially if have to climb long hills, once the battery dies, the hybrid is a very heavy car with a small wimpy gas engine.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
Who was working on your cars that diagnosed the problem as being with turbo? Dealerships and other mechanics that shouldn't be touching these cars like to throw a new turbo in the car and call it fixed.

RVincelette

The first time it was replaced by the dealership and it was under warranty. The second time was my normal mechanic. Will putting in a turbo timer so it cools down for a minute after i turn the car off help with this problem or a blowoff valve? I have seen a couple stories of other people having similar problems, was just not sure how common it was. how long does an average turbo last?

My roundtrip to work is around 35 miles. I put in about 250-300 miles a week on average.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
RVincelette said:
The first time it was replaced by the dealership and it was under warranty. The second time was my normal mechanic. Will putting in a turbo timer so it cools down for a minute after i turn the car off help with this problem or a blowoff valve? I have seen a couple stories of other people having similar problems, was just not sure how common it was. how long does an average turbo last?

My roundtrip to work is around 35 miles. I put in about 250-300 miles a week on average.
Maybe you need a different mechanic than your "normal" mechanic. I suspect that your Jetta did not really need a new turbo on either of the occasions when it was replaced.

TDIs are very reliable, especially if you have a TDI mechanic close-by who does not misdiagnose problems and charge you for unnecessary repairs.

The good news is that you've finally discovered TDI Club. Oh wait, you've been a member for 5+ years. So maybe you can explain whether you've been letting unqualified people work on your Jetta?

RVincelette

TornadoRed said:
So maybe you can explain whether you've been letting unqualified people work on your Jetta?
I promise it will never happen again. One more question, can someone help me out and suggest a good dealership in Providence, RI area? I have read the Feore was horrible but is there a good place? I found a link that has good mechanics but I see nothing about good dealerships.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
The replacement of a turbo by the dealer was just to make money out of VW during warranty period. The replacement of a turbo by your mechnic was his approach to solve the turbo noise by "trial and error approach" when the noise was normal. The turbo should not fail after such few miles. Please do not trust the dealers at face values. Their service reps are not auto technicial or have repair experience but use salesmanship to convience innocent customers that there is problem in the car or to scare that the item is recommended to keep the warranty. Your gurus are on this website for give you free and honest advice. Because you have experience in driving the diesels, it would be better for you to buy jetta wagon.

Last edited:

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
I agree with others: turbo replacement so often is not likely due to the turbo actually failing, rather helping somebody make a boat payment.

The turbo timer might be useful, the blowoff valve, however, is totally non-functional on a diesel. A blowoff valve on a diesel will simply NEVER actuate, it is a lot like a bicycle for a fish.

The turbo timer would be useful if you often drive down the freeway and shoot into rest stops often, shutting down the engine without giving the turbo time to cool. It only takes a minute, maybe two if you were doing 80 against a headwind, but diesel exhausts run cooler than turbo gasser exhausts, so if you spend a minute or two easing down city streets and finding a parking place, you are covered.

RalphVa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Were you using synthetic oil in your old VW? Turbos can cook dino oil. Synthetics can take the heat much better.

On the new VWs, you HAVE to use their synthetic oil, at least the first 3 years. You should continue to do so or use a good substitute like Mobil 1 ESP.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
RVincelette said:
Where can I find trusted dealers to buy my car in my area?
Buy or sell? If you are selling, then post at the appropriate forum here, and on Craigslist, etc. -- if a dealer buys from you, the price could be $4k-$6k less than fair market value.
If buying a used TDI, then avoid dealers.
So basically I'm saying, no need to go through dealers period.

Funguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen dsg and 2015 Passat 6 M/T
He means Where is there a good dealer in Rhode Island to buy his new car? Maybe find a good one out of state and enjoy a leisurely break-in drive home BTW.

John96895

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Black
There is Fiore in Warwick, Speedcraft (or Speedshaft, as they say) in Wakefield, Scott in East Providence, Mattie in Fall River, and Autocenter in Newport. Think that's about it within 1/2 hour or so of Providence.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
You are going to need all the room you can get with the little one taking most of it.

People assume that the prius is as reliable as a normal Toy, but when was the last time you saw a first gen prius? They have disappeared off the roads.

Turbo failures are the exception. Just look at the thousands of turbos out on the road today. From tractor trailers downwards. No problems with ours after 70k

correct url for VWLanghorn is http://www.vwoflanghorne.com/

Last edited: