Broke down on the side of the Hwy on a road trip

heykw

Veteran Member
TDI
fleet
2012 Passat Tdi sel just turned off at 70 mph. Now I'm on the side of the Hwy. In BFE Kentucky guru help please!

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
2012 Passat Tdi sel just turned off at 70 mph. Now I'm on the side of the Hwy. In BFE Kentucky guru help please!

Any warnings, notifications from the dash? Any puddle of fluids underneath the vehicle? Any strange sounds prior to shut down?

heykw

Veteran Member
TDI
fleet
Check engine lights on, no signs of leaks.
When you press the ignition it cranks put won't start.

Turbo and exhaust was replaced 10k 15k ago by VW under warranty

Last edited:

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
Wouldn't be surprised if the turbo poo'd the bed again.

Good luck, and I hope you're not on the side of the road for too long heykw!

heykw

Veteran Member
TDI
fleet
So I got it towed to VW
Dealers says the fuel system is contanimated
And that I need new injectors injection pump lines ect.
To the tune of 9K

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
So I got it towed to VW
To the tune of 9K

They should have went through all of that when the first turbo blew. :mad:

mickyTDI

Veteran Member
They like to cost money. My 2013 had to replace EGR, DMF and now when the engine is warming up i get the pinking injector sound. Must be a dodgy injector , more expense ahead! i doubt the 277 J injectors are cheap.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
I'm mystified at all the stories of disasters with these cars. My 09 JSW 1st generation car ,supposed to be the worst has had no problems of any consequence. Now that I HAVE SAID THIS IT WILL FALL APART. I just don't get the inconsistances in performance.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
So I got it towed to VW
To the tune of 9K
It's highly unlikely that your fuel is actually contaminated. This is Volkswagen's default response when a high pressure fuel pump fails, regardless of whether or not it's actually the case (try to blame the operator).

HPFP should have an extended warranty, IIRC. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Spike_africa

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI/w DSG
It is covered to 120k miles.

Mine failed at 37k miles. They tried to blame fuel, a fuel sample was sent to them, and I sent one to a third party. Third paty came back in 2 days saying fuel was fine. VW took 2 weeks to respond and said it was barely ok. They replaced my fuel system. I was without a car for almost a 1 month. 2 weeks worth with no loaner for my wife as the dealer rightfully so didn't know who would be paying for it and didn't want us to rack up rental charges.

I wasn't for the buyback before, but that situation makes we want to sell it and get a Audi A6 or Ford Fusion or Taurus.

RichmondKYtdi

who would be paying for it and didn't want us to rack up rental charges.

I wasn't for the buyback before, but that situation makes we want to sell it and get a Audi A6 or Ford Fusion or Taurus.
I applaud your list. Next time i plan on saying that to the wife... Honey, Im gonna go get a ford fusion and come home with an A6 and see if i get any reaction....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I wasn't for the buyback before, but that situation makes we want to sell it and get a Audi A6

That'll show those evil VW people! Go buy an Audi, that will really make them really mad!!! :D

heykw

Veteran Member
TDI
fleet
I think is right at 120k.
Who did I you send you fuel sample out to?
Where did you collect the fuel sample from?

It is covered to 120k miles.

Mine failed at 37k miles. They tried to blame fuel, a fuel sample was sent to them, and I sent one to a third party. Third paty came back in 2 days saying fuel was fine. VW took 2 weeks to respond and said it was barely ok. They replaced my fuel system. I was without a car for almost a 1 month. 2 weeks worth with no loaner for my wife as the dealer rightfully so didn't know who would be paying for it and didn't want us to rack up rental charges.