first outing pulling a trailer

laminated

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Sportwagen
took the trailer out for a load of gravel. total weight about 1700 lbs. pulled away no probs even easier than my BEW Golf. with a 160 hp engine. accel from 80 kms to 100 etc wasnt bad either, fuel consumption up a liter per 100

eatpasta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
took the trailer out for a load of gravel. total weight about 1700 lbs. pulled away no probs even easier than my BEW Golf. with a 160 hp engine. accel from 80 kms to 100 etc wasnt bad either, fuel consumption up a liter per 100
have you added a tranny temp gauge to keep an eye on how hot it's getting? Im planning on adding a hitch and a small trailer to start moving my motorcycles around....I doubt I would ever be pulling more than half a ton though

Bobmws

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE DSG
My trailer with the sidecar rig loaded is ~1500#. The TDI pulls it much better than my former 4 cyl. Camry. Haven't towed it any major distance (don't really plan to) but I don't feel it will be an issue if I have to.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
1700 lbs, nice! What is the tow rating on the Passat again?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
have you added a tranny temp gauge to keep an eye on how hot it's getting? Im planning on adding a hitch and a small trailer to start moving my motorcycles around....I doubt I would ever be pulling more than half a ton though
ScanGuage should be able to display transmission temp.

Also, I would recommend towing in Sport or Manual mode for anyone towing with the DSG, as Drive tends to slip the clutch quite a bit.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
Towing 1700 pounds in a 3700 pound car using a trailer with no brakes. Sounds legit...

enatman

TDI
current 2006 brm, 2014 passat SE returned, 2000 jetta 404k (sold)
Do any of you have a DSG transmission? my other question is..Was the turbo running hotter longer..? So is it a turbo issue too?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
compared to regen pulling a trailer is a walk in the park for the turbo.

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Been towing my kayak for few years now. Total weight is probably under 400lb. Effortless, may be loose 3-4 mpgs at most.

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
That's a bit different than towing the same amount in a trailer.
The only thing making 1700 pounds the maximum I've towed with my Passat is the trailer's capacity, not the car. Much heavier than that and I'd want some brakes on the trailer.

Thought about putting airbags in the rear shocks (definitely sag when maxed out) but will wait to ensure that I'm keeping the car (I'm pretty certain I am).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I wouldn't be concerned about the shocks, but more of what those bolts are connected to for your hitch.

I'd only be doing that kind of towing with the Euro Bossel (SP?) hitch that has way more robust connection to the car.

Jedadiah

Veteran Member
TDI
Former: '15 Passat TDI SE 6M, '15 Golf S 6M and '10 JSW
Only problem is that there is no Bosal or Westfalia hitch for the NMS :(

Do the unibody frame rails even have the mounting holes in the sides? I haven't had any of the rear panels off my 2015, and you can't see the rails without removing something.

My JSW is my tow rig.