Question about rear seat area. Kids question.

MVJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I currently drive a 2012 Jetta tdi sedan. We are going to have a 3rd child. I have one in an infant seat. The other one in a booster.

How much wider is the Passat in the back compared to my jetta?

Do you think I can fit a 2nd infant seat in the back and my booster seat?

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
I've had my two kids (one in a booster, the other in a car seat) and an adult in the back seat at the same time for a long trip. They all fit.

I suggest you go into a dealership, or find someone with a Passat, and try fitting them all in the back seat to see if it's workable.

Regards

jrock

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Blue, Passat, 2012 Silver
I have two car seats in the back at all times, I've had three before without a problem. We have a Graco Smart Seat All-in-One Convertible, fits without a problem. The Graco will not fit in the Jetta and I use a Cosco car seat in that vehicle.

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
I just went out and measured a 2012 Jetta sedan that I have on my lot and a 2013 Passat. The Passat has basically 3 inches more width in the back seat. It might actually seem bigger than that due to the way the door panels are shaped and the increased leg room on the Passat.

The Passat has 55 inches between the door panels and the Jetta has 52.

MVJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Thanks for the info everyone ... I'll test fit after the baby comes. I may make the jump when it comes tax refund next year.

ABS

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI, 6MT
I have three kids, 13 years, 11 years and 27 months, so our Britax car seat is placed in the middle when we take the Passat versus the Brides Odyssey (the family butt mover). Anyway, there is still a ton of room in the rear quarters loaded down with the five of us. My 13 year old is nearly 6' tall already, so as they grow I am also thankful for the leg and headroom in the Passat. I liked the JSW, but rear seat room and related family considerations made the Passat an easy decision.

Good luck!

weebl

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf (BEW)
I've fit my three in the back seat of our Passat. Well, sort of. We have 2 booster aged kids, and one infant carrier aged. Our usual set up in the back is one booster and an infant base, and a second booster carried in the trunk. For comfort, we can take up to two adults in the front, plus any combination of 2 in the back.

But three in the back can be done. The carrier must be installed without the base in an outboard location, and the two backless boosters can be squished close together. Seatbelt access will be tight.

My oldest son is on the cusp of going booster-less. We have come home, well to their bus stop a couple of blocks away, with our youngest in his carrier with the base, to meet them coming off the bus. All three fit no problem, with one booster, one carrier with base, and one without a booster.

Normally, if the 5 of us go somewhere, we use our van instead, but the Passat if it's a smaller load of passengers.

HBRD_KLR

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M
I have two booster seats and a base in the rear. No real issues here. Plenty of room.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I bought my car with 3 in child seats and test fit my proposed seats in the Passat before purchasing. The dealer should let to try to puzzle them. There is a lot of total seat width. The problem I have is the spacing of the buckles. There is 9" in the middle between them. There is no booster that narrow to fit between them. There are very few convertibles with bases that narrow. Some of the Britax seats in the middle would be good like we had a Marathon. It raises the wider part up for access to the buckles for booster or adult for example.

MVJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Yeah i may have to test fit to see if i can put three in the jetta. We will see when the time comes. I have heard of the Radian convertible seats (narrow) along with the bubblebum inflatable boosters for in a pinch.

Unix - you have a point. A new car = $$$ and new child seats = a few hundred dollars.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
When our son test-drove a Passat, he put all three of their seats (don't know the brand) in the back seat. Not a problem.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Pretty much any three 5-point harness combos will work. But access to the buckles is key for any booster or adult that needs to reach the buckle.

I had a Radian and liked it mostly. I can be difficult to get a solid install in some vehicles because it is so thin the buckles ride up on the child seat plastic.