Airbag error on MFD anybody knows what can cause it ?

Jav9882

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Well I just turned on my car and the airbag light turned on anybody have this issue before or any clue what can cause it. Thanks

peterwinkle

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Well I just turned on my car and the airbag light turned on anybody have this issue before or any clue what can cause it. Thanks
Any other symptoms? I have had it twice... once when I was installing my sound set up and didnt disconnect the battery before unplugging a harness (dumb). Once when a little spring broke inside the steering column, that one was pretty obvious that there were problems. The steering wheel clicked real bad when turning.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Absolutely no other symptoms. This morning the error was gone though.
The light might be out, but there is probably still a stored fault code. Finding someone near you with VCDS will tell you more about what the car thought was wrong. There are many things that could potentially cause your air bag light to come on.

Have Fun!

Don

Jav9882

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Yeah I need to find some one close by so I can see what it is. I just drove about 20 miles and nothing no ,ore error and everything seems to be back to normal. I was at the beach yesterday and maybe moisture might have gotten but I'm not sure if that would cause anything to go off.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Did you have things piled up in the passenger seat? There are sensors in the passenger seat to detect whether or not the seat is occupied. Perhaps it was unsure? Just a SWAG.

Have Fun!

Don

Jav9882

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
No nothing. I got in by myself nothing in the passenger seat. I did ask my wife to sit on passenger seat and the light still indicated that the passenger airbag was off. This morning everything appears to be good to go. I'll give it another day and find someone that can help me out.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Any other symptoms? I have had it twice... once when I was installing my sound set up and didnt disconnect the battery before unplugging a harness (dumb). Once when a little spring broke inside the steering column, that one was pretty obvious that there were problems. The steering wheel clicked real bad when turning.
not to hijack, but did you have excessive ticking in the steering wheel before it broke? The passat used to only be noisy when hot, now every turn it's making a racket. It'll get warrantied at 20K.

domano 68

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6spd manual
I had this and it was due to a bad clockspring which was replaced under the 3/36k bumper to bumper warranty.
I believe I have this problem. Airbag went off and there is excessive clicking noise. Was this a pretty simple fix? Headed to the dealership tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

brent_strong

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
Simple for me since it was under warranty! I don't think it involves much for the tech to do - usually clock springs are easy to get at and replace. I wouldn't worry about it.

If I had to guess by the date of my post, I probably had 15-20k miles on the car when mine was replaced. I'm now at about 64k miles and haven't had any problems with it since. Probably a small batch of flawed parts out there.