Replacement dash cluster

fat_panda

TDI
mk4 golf
Hi folks,

I'm the new owner of a mystery milage 2000 2 door golf.
Runs well, suspension and brakes are tired but serviceable.
Multiple previous owners have definitely modifed it... Apparently the current engine is out of a 2003 Jetta.
Main issue is the dash cluster is all out of whack. At least the tach, fuel, and most warning lights work but everything else is on the fritz.

Label on the unit reads VW 1JO 920 900 L and I'm having trouble finding an exact replacement. I can find some units with part numbers close on eBay but nothing perfect. How close do I have to get? Physically I can install the unit just fine but is there any programming needed to get a new cluster to behave?

Thanks in advance.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I may be way off base, but I think as long as you get a Cluster from a 99.5 or 2000 model it should work. And, it should be for 5-speed or Auto which ever you have. There were some changes in the wiring harness in 2001 and more in 2002. They are very, very similar but Bentley Manuals have separate schematics for them.

I don't think there is any programming required. People send off their ECUs for tuning and don't get the same ECU back!

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Have to do a bit of searching, but I believe prior to 2001 (1999.5-2000) there was no immobilizer in the cluster so should be a direct swap. If you use a cluster from 2001/newer then the immobilizer would need to be "deleted", if they are even compatible.

fat_panda

TDI
mk4 golf
So I'm pretty sure there's an immobilizer; had a some trouble last night getting the cluster's connection seated in the dark after checking the part number. The little car/key symbol would keep flashing. Engine would start but immediately shut down. Slight moment of panic, pulled the dash again and rechecked the connections. I think I didn't have the green right hand connecter fully seated. It all works now. Semi educated guess would be immo-2?
Is there any way to tell from the part number whether a cluster on ebay is from a manual or automatic? I think I've found one from Canada that should work, I'll just have to keep my brain nimble with some metric conversions.
Have to do a bit of searching, but I believe prior to 2001 (1999.5-2000) there was no immobilizer in the cluster so should be a direct swap. If you use a cluster from 2001/newer then the immobilizer would need to be "deleted", if they are even compatible.
jettawreck: what's the process for deleting the immobilizer? Is there hardware to modify or does it involve recoding with VCDS?

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I don't think there is any programming required. People send off their ECUs for tuning and don't get the same ECU back!
I don’t agree with this that’s why I always etched markings my parts that I’m sending out.

Bajan

Which do you not agree with, the programming or not getting back the same ECU when send out for tuning?
..................................................... . . . . . . . . .

Jettawreck, good point about the Immoblizer.

From May 1999 thru April 2000, no Immoblizer. From May 2000 there is an Immoblizer.

Last edited:

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So I'm pretty sure there's an immobilizer; had a some trouble last night getting the cluster's connection seated in the dark after checking the part number. The little car/key symbol would keep flashing. Engine would start but immediately shut down. Slight moment of panic, pulled the dash again and rechecked the connections. I think I didn't have the green right hand connecter fully seated. It all works now. Semi educated guess would be immo-2?
Is there any way to tell from the part number whether a cluster on ebay is from a manual or automatic? I think I've found one from Canada that should work, I'll just have to keep my brain nimble with some metric conversions.
jettawreck: what's the process for deleting the immobilizer? Is there hardware to modify or does it involve recoding with VCDS?
Yep, that's immobilizer working.
VCDS itself won't do it.
"Deleting" the immobilizer involves sending it to (or buying some other than VCDS system, perhaps VagTacho) someone skilled in coding or whatever magic those guys know. Done wrong and the ECU is toast. Cost me $50 to get the immobilizer delete done in my 1.8 gas to TDI conversion car's cluster. Even though the car will run fine, to get the immobilizer light to stop blinking (even after immobilizer delete) the ECU and cluster need to be "paired" (a bit more $$), or there are some other options. Until I found out if my swap/conversion was going to be successful I went with just the delete route and have ignored the blinking light for now. But, eventually I'll get it all done up right.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Getting back any part I sent out period. Nothing to do with software.

Bajan

Yeah, I sent out the ECU for re-flashing (or whatever they do) from my cousin's 99 NB due to the hard starting issue. I clearly wrote on the back of the ECU with a black magic marker his name, car, etc., and took a close-up photo. The unit we got back was not it. However, it did work just fine!

But, on the flip side, the NB cluster is quite different, at least in appearance and display, than the cluster in a Golf/Jetta. So, not matching the ECU to that cluster may make no difference, especially if there is not an immoblizer!.

So, what Jettawreck is saying, OP you'll need some programming (pairing) or whatever it is that they do in order that those pesky lights are not flashing!

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
@ AndyBees and Jettawreck:

98-99.5 and 2000+ cars has complete different system. So parts are not interchangeable at all.
All VW cars in USA starting in 2000 model and up has Immobilizer and if you install second hand instrument cluster or any other immobilizer component it will prevent car to start.

@ FatPanda:

You best solution since you have bad cluster , to update to 1/2 MFA .
I think I have one , PM me or email me.
But however 1J0 920 905 L will work in your car as well.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
@ AndyBees and Jettawreck:

98-99.5 and 2000+ cars has complete different system. So parts are not interchangeable at all.
All VW cars in USA starting in 2000 model and up has Immobilizer and if you install second hand instrument cluster or any other immobilizer component it will prevent car to start.

@ FatPanda:

You best solution since you have bad cluster , to update to 1/2 MFA .
I think I have one , PM me or email me.
But however 1J0 920 905 L will work in your car as well.
There's an answer from someone that really knows and does cluster and ECU reprogramming. Take his offer to follow up with a PM or email.