trunk will not open

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
the button in the middle console works- i can hear the motor in the trunk activate, but no pop sound of the lock opening. the key does not work either. it will go in the keyhole and turn/push, but no pop. i can get in the trunk through the back but lets just say i'm not as agile as my 20's. can someone give me a clue what to do or look for when i'm back there. i found an earlier post on this , but it was for a 2000 golf?. i'm guessing its different. thanks, rune

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
See if you can get inside the trunk and get to the lock mechanism on the trunk lid. I can't remember exactly what I did when I had this problem on my Passat, but I think you can tug on the cable or somone how pull a lever or something and release the trunk lid. When I had a problem with it, something in the trunk got wedged against the lid and wouldn't let it open. Real pain to get back there, but it can be released.

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
Glad you found it. How do you like the Frostheater? Did you install it yourself? I'm thinking about putting one of these in my 1996 Passat TDI. Yes, I know it's a pain... but so is starting at -20F in Feb.!

cd2573

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 bmw 328D
have the same problem on 2002 jetta tdi makes the sound and wont release will open with the keys what do I look for to fix it?

Chubber

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
If it's something jamming in the hood, it's often good to have someone lean down on the hood while you hold the button in, then try lifting. Not a Jetta, but I got a piece of rope stuck in my mechanism on another car and that's what did it.

RuneTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 97 passat tdi (SOLD)
love the frostheater. installed it myself in about 2 hours. directions were on the money. if you get one, do not crank down the nut that holds the bracket to the frame. it will crack.

there is a metal rod with a couple of 90 degree bends in it that goes from the keylock to the trunk latch. this rod opens the trunk when you press the button inside or use the key. mine broke at one of the 90's, probably from stress, age...... got a new one from vw for $16, replaced it and my key cylinder fell apart. i got the new rod in but only the button inside will open it, for now.

anyone have any experience with the key cylinder in the trunk. the piece that spins with the key (its like a metal bracket) and engages the mechanism broke off its tabs.