05 5th brake light mod

firsttimedeisel

TDI
2005 Jetta
I have an '05 jetta. Am I stuck with not being able to do the 5th brake light mod? The reason I think I can't is the entire bottom of the rear tail lights are clear. With the reverse light being close to the middle of the vehicle, the outer plastic is clear, not red, as on some older cars. Is there something easy I am overlooking or am I stuck with not doing the mod? Thanks for the help!

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Tdioily had the same dilema. he had aftermarket Light housings, so he drilled a hole big enough for a RED LED light to do the 5th brake mod. it looked good. he bought the LEDs from autozone. I will say they looked kinda cheap( meaning DIM). I would recommend buying good, BRIGHT, LEDs for this.

F250_JR

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI Special Edition
firsttimedeisel said:
will the 99-03 model rear tail light lense fit on an 05?
VW stopped making mkIV's after 2005. The mkV's started in 2005.5. I don't know anything about mkIV's apart from when they were made, but it seems that since 99-03 and 2005 are all in the same generation, that the parts would all be interchangeable.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

firsttimedeisel

TDI
2005 Jetta
capo-gti, thanks for the website. i ordered the silvervision red bulbs. they came in yesterday. got the wiring and crimp today. going to get this done today or tomorrow.

firsttimedeisel

TDI
2005 Jetta
i have to pull the rear lense off as the spot in which the bulb would go has a plastic block blocking it. maybe i will try that one day soon.