New battery/reset codes...

LuvaDub

Veteran Member
TDI
2K TDI NB
Hey all, why would the dealer charge me 70 something to reset codes if I put a new battery in. The battery was less than 1 year old that I replaced. My guess is that they were trying to get the proration back out of me??

What is involved in resetting codes after new battery installlation? Doesn't everything reset itself?

(Did a search and could not find answer)

Thanks!

LuvaDub

Veteran Member
TDI
2K TDI NB
Hey Velvetfoot, actually I didn't get ripped off... I told them to shove it up , well you know.

I was stranded and had to buy a new battery myself and when I called VW, because the battery was not even a year old yet, they said they would pro-rate my battery BUT they would HAVE TO reset the codes, thus it would have cost me MORE to have them pro-rate me for my battery. So I did not go to dealer to "reset codes".

She was trying to tell me that I MUST come and do that even though it looks like everything reset itself.

What else is involved besides clock reset and radio presets?

TDI-NEVER-DIE

Veteran Member
TDI
bora
I just love how they used the language "you must come in"..
we must not as far as i'm concerned..a new battery should not fail.. if this is a new vehicle they should just eat the cost. As far as what needs to be reset, if you have power windows it will come back on its own, mine did. As far as the radio stations, i'm not sure if they even get erased, i had a 12v source plugged into the cigar lighter..
My auto window roll up did not come back until i let the window all the way down and then back up.. since it was plugged in i did not loose the radio presets..

OilBurnerBob

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, black on black
When my battery died this summer (4 years from date of purchase of vehicle) I had it changed at my local Mobil station. Tech said I'd have to have the radio reset but when I got in the car everything - including radio w/pre- sets - worked fine.

The first time I used the sunroof it seemed confused - slid back when I turned it to raise - but then it recovered on the next ignition startup and it works correctly now.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I have a 98 and just replaced my battery. No codes to be changed. They were trying to swindle you. Only thing might be if you have immobilizer (but that shouldn't be affected) or a radio code which has to be entered. You should have a copy of that anyhow, so no issue there. There shouldn't be any codes which need to be cleared. If you don't have one yourself, see if someone in your area has a Vag-com and is willing to meet up. Get the codes reset for free or almost free (assuming there are any which don't show up on the dash).

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
Earlier radios required resetting anti-theft codes after a battery swap, but that's all. In the early 90's or late 80's, there were a raft of GM cars that completely lost their ECU program when the battery died. They went into limp mode, and had to be reprogrammed by the dealer. But no more. My guess is that they were just trying to make some money. Musta had a boat payment due.

LuvaDub

Veteran Member
TDI
2K TDI NB
Yeah, my thoughts exactly guys! That's just crazy ripping people off left and right. /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

BatmanMN_M

Veteran Member
TDI
gls 2003 black
when i unhooked my battery to install my radio (kenwood) the auto windows on the passenger side didnt work, wait, it did work on the way up, but not on the way down, after about 1 mile of driving, it worked fine, like it had to figure something out, haha, i was kindof impressed, in a geeky sort of way