1 fault found: 01268 - Quantity Adjuster (N146) HELP!

blue_lizard

1 fault found:
01268 - Quantity Adjuster (N146)
18 - 00 Upper Limit Intermittent

The Quantity Adjuster is a motor inside the injection pump with an eccentric shaft that adjusts the quantity of fuel. I do not know what 18 - 00 means or Upper Limit

Trying to start a newly installed used engine from Germany after my original engine broke a valve on freeway, maybe due to a blocked injector overheating one cylinder or because of a particle of carbon from intake manifold interfering with valve and piston clearance. Right from the beginning I noticed the current to the fuel cut off solenoid did not sustain itself for more than 5 seconds. It tired starting it anyway, hotwiring that solenoid,( the advice of VW mechanic at San Jaun Capistrano DEalership). That did not help much as the fault cause the EDC (Electronic Diesel Control) to shut down the engine because without throttle control (Quantity Adjuster inside the injection pump) reliable engine operation cannot be ensured. Even when I had the solenoid hotwired, which overides their cutting off the power and fuel, then the car went into Limp Mode, running at fast idle, smoking like hell and I had not throttle control. I have be checking all wire connections and plugs, looking for dirt or bent pins. All look fine. Any suggestions I will consider trying,

Andy