BRM Tune Idea

grover32

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Hey guys, new to the forum. Had a question for all of you. I want to put a tune on my 06 brm tdi. I am new with these tdi's and am thinking of doing a Malone stage 1 or 1.5 tune. With malone i can send in my ECU instead of paying money for their flashzilla v3. I am wondering, If I purchased an used ECU and sent that to them for tuning, could I replace my stock ECU with this used and newly tuned one? What sorts of issues could I run into while trying to do this? Also, given my engine has some miles on it, I want to do some "cheaper" mods on it without putting a lot of money into it. Any ideas would be great!

Drunkaroos

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI (300K!)
Hey guys, new to the forum. Had a question for all of you. I want to put a tune on my 06 brm tdi. I am new with these tdi's and am thinking of doing a Malone stage 1 or 1.5 tune. With malone i can send in my ECU instead of paying money for their flashzilla v3. I am wondering, If I purchased an used ECU and sent that to them for tuning, could I replace my stock ECU with this used and newly tuned one? What sorts of issues could I run into while trying to do this? Also, given my engine has some miles on it, I want to do some "cheaper" mods on it without putting a lot of money into it. Any ideas would be great!
I had no clue that you could just send in your ecu without getting flashzilla... you just saved me a lot of money.
In response to your question, there really shouldn't be too much of an issue with a used ecu as long as you get the right one for your engine code. I'm guessing you want to keep an extra stock one in case you don't like the tune or whatever.

grover32

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
Yeah I figured that $80 for an used ECU beat $180 for the flashzilla. Thanks for the help!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Here ya go:
http://www.tunemyeuro.com/malone-tuning-multi-tool-rental/
A lot of times when we try to "cheap out" we end up spending even more money. Ask me about garbage Chinese ball joints from O'Reilly's.

A different ECU could end up be being a coding night mere to get to working correctly. At the very least, you would have to deal with the immobilizer.

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yah... rent the Flashzilla, don't buy it. Easy peasy, tuning the car is done in 5 minutes, no fussing with re-coding keys etc, as posted above. :)