30/42 MPG Golf, 31/43 MPG Passat?

Polak

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDi SEL
Looking at the VW website, I noticed they added the new Passat (TDi).

The MPG ratings are 31/43. Isn't this a heavier car than the Golf TDi?

I know the mileages on both can be under rated, but why are the Passat's higher than the Golf's?

fujii13

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW JSW
The Passat doesn't have DPF like the Golf does. It DOES require Urea injection though, which is really annoying and someone should figure out how to disable it via Vag-Com.

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
The Passat doesn't have DPF like the Golf does. It DOES require Urea injection though, which is really annoying and someone should figure out how to disable it via Vag-Com.
I believe every new diesel made has a DPF. Urea injection is no big deal, we have it in our E350 Mercedes. At each service they just fill it up, you never know it is there. You can buy the stuff online and DIY it too, it is not a huge hassle.

andy7079

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Touareg
In order to meet the particulate emissions standards, almost every diesel from 2007 onward will have a DPF. The Golf uses two EGR loops (high and low pressure) to reduce the NOx emissions. The Passat uses Urea injection to reduce NOx emissions by spraying a solution into the exhaust upstream of the NOx converter (known as SCR - Selective Catalytic Reduction). SCR is more effective than EGR at removing NOx and EGR reduces the efficiency of the combustion cycle. So the engineers can either eliminate one of the EGR loops or reduce their duty cycles with the SCR system, allowing for the increased fuel efficiency. SCR is works well enough that it is normally found on larger vehicles where EGR would cause more problems that it helps.

Initially the Urea solution was hard to find and some of the systems were complex becuase the solution will freeze in cold weather requiring multiple tanks (Audi Q7). However, the solution is becoming easier to find becuase its a standard. Heck, I saw a bottle of it in a gas station in Peoria over the weekend.

In my opinion, VW has a chance to really set the bar high. If the system can last 5-10k miles between fill ups, is relatively simple and trouble free, and reduces the overall complexity of the exhaust system on the Passat they might really sell. It might even make me consider a Passat. Only time will tell if they did it right.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
awesome thanks for break down,
passat being not that much more expensive with only basic options, w/ 6MT larger fuel tank, and higher fuel economy, 1000 mile tanks could be fun :)

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
It will be interesting to see what kind of mileage new owners are posting once the Passats have been on the road for a while. Should be interesting to see if the urea system compensates for the heavier weight of the Passat. My commutes to work in my Golf are stop and go. If traffic isn't bad I'm getting low to mid 40's mpg now, but worse in the Winter. Overall mpg is about 41 mpg. I'd love to see how the new Passat would do that setting. I'll bet it will be a fantastic car for long trips.

andy7079

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan, 2014 Touareg
RomanL, the fuel pumps should be the same. Fuel tank size doesn't matter. We'd all love to see some revision to the HPFP, but who knows if that will ever happen.

tedkidd

TDI
11 JSW
My e320cdi got about 4 mpg less, was 1000 lbs heavier, and a LOT faster. Mpg seemed not to drop all the way to 80. Much more aero, even underneath. That may explain it some.

Jsw seems to lose 1-2 mpg for every mph above 62. Trips at 62 can break 45 mpg.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
I hope you live by yourself on an island so your particulate emissions won't matter to others who want to breathe clean air.

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
why are the Passat's higher than the Golf's?
Take a look at these:

VW Golf 1.6 TDI 105 PS BlueMotion SE Manual 5-speed: 61.6 MPG US (74 Imperial)
FORD Focus 1.6 Duratorq TDCi 109PS 5dr Saloon ECO Start-Stop Manual 5-speed: 61.6 MPG US (74 Imperial)
TOYOTA Prius Mark III 1.8 VVT-i Hybrid 15in wheel [2009] Continuously Variable 60 MPG US (72 Imperial)
VW Golf Estate (Jetta SW) 1.6 TDI 105PS BlueMotion Manual 5-speed 55.8 MPG US (67 Imperial)
VW Jetta 1.6 TDI 105PS BlueMotion Technology S Manual 5-speed 55.8 MPG US (67 Imperial)
VW Golf Plus 1.6 TDI 105PS BlueMotion MkVI Manual 5-speed 55 MPG US (66 Imperial)
VW Golf Estate 1.6 TDI 105PS BlueMotion 7speed DSG S Direct shift 7-speed 55 MPG US (66 Imperial)
VW Passat Saloon 1.6 CR TDI 105 PS BlueMotion Technology Manual 6-speed 55 MPG US (66 Imperial)
VW Passat Estate 1.6 TDI 105PS BlueMotion Manual 5-speed/6-speed 53.3 MPG US (64 Imperial)
HONDA Insight 1.3 IMA S 5dr [2009] Continuously Variable 53.3 MPG US (64 Imperial)
VW Passat Saloon 1.6 CR TDI 105 PS BlueMotion Manual 6-speed 52.5 MPG US (63 Imperial)
HONDA Accord 2.2 i-DTEC ES GT Saloon Manual 6-speed 41.6 MPG US (50 Imperial)

Some food for thought.