1.4 TDI tuning/info

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
With much exitement and months of homework and research on it, the bigger turbo and injectors are going in next week! althow still on the look for a recommended tunner that can make my ecu vnt compatible and make sure its getting enough air and diesel, will keep you guys posted on it!

biohaufen

TDI
Audi A2 1.4 TDI AMF
With much exitement and months of homework and research on it, the bigger turbo and injectors are going in next week! althow still on the look for a recommended tunner that can make my ecu vnt compatible and make sure its getting enough air and diesel, will keep you guys posted on it!
Ask Rub87, he makes really good remaps and has some experience with vnt converting 1.4TDIs.
He did mine and 2-3 other 1.4 TDIs.

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
Ask Rub87, he makes really good remaps and has some experience with vnt converting 1.4TDIs.
He did mine and 2-3 other 1.4 TDIs.
i sent him an email hopefully he'll get back to me in time ! and hopefully hell be able to do it ! :D

biohaufen

TDI
Audi A2 1.4 TDI AMF
Did you already fit turbo and inj?
How much power does it make? :p

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
Did you already fit turbo and inj?
How much power does it make? :p
its all done guys i had some delays on the way but its finally all done, we went with pd130 injectors, pd150 turbo and a front mount from a t5, this resulted in 160-170 hp according to the tuner, the tune was done by bobby from bobby singh racing and the car feels amazing now, slight slip in higher gears even tho i was told by the company that sold me the clutch that it will be able to hold up to 430nm, now the car is either pushing over 400nm or the clutch is just smelting ever so slightly under load in 4th and 5th but i couldnt be happier with it! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
u have 228mm clutch and 1.9 5 spd?
no ruben im still running the stock gearbox and just a uprated clutch on it, looked at doing the gearbox swap but some people say its impossible because the 1.4 has a unbalanced flywheel due to being 3 pots

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Plenty run 1.9 flywheel with no issue. Some inbalance is still better than changing clutch every other week

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
Plenty run 1.9 flywheel with no issue. Some inbalance is still better than changing clutch every other week
Yeah actually a gearbox will work out cheaper on the long run, do you happend to drive a 3pot on that setup ? just wanna know how it feels

Sausage

TDI
Lupo 1.4 TDI
Excellent thread and info guys. Nice results Welington.

Are the stock internals on the AMF good for 150HP+? It seems so, no point looking for different internals if I dont need to. At what point do the engines need beefing up with better bolts etc?

Is there any solution for the balance shaft / oil pump chain weak point on these? I suppose balance shaft delete isnt an option on these given 3 pot engine?

Cheers

Last edited:

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
Excellent thread and info guys. Nice results Welington.

Are the stock internals on the AMF good for 150HP+? It seems so, no point looking for different internals if I dont need to. At what point do the engines need beefing up with better bolts etc?

Is there any solution for the balance shaft / oil pump chain weak point on these? I suppose balance shaft delete isnt an option on these given 3 pot engine?

Cheers
Thanks pal ;)

I was scared too because now were running like 2.0 bar of boost on the car but the tuner said it was fine its still gonna hold, now obviously if you're taking your car to redline and holding it there for god knows they will most likely explode even stock mine are stock and so far so good i think you might need to keep on top of the maintence more often, but it goes to show i think these engines might be a lot stronger than we think xD

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
me personally not. but others in this topic do
Is it hard at all to do it pal ? or is it a plug and play ? my mate has the gearbox, solidmass flywheel, clutch and driveshafts too i would love to see what its like because my fear is that it will be too unbalanced that you can feel it from the cab

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
its a 3 cylinder lol. its unbalanced by nature <O

if you have these parts its pnp.

DkZ

TDI
Scirocco 2.0tdi 197bhp ( 140 stock )
Well guys don't lose the focus and the faith, a guy in Portugal just made a 1.4 tdi pull 459cv :D

here's the prove: https://youtu.be/QCGu2BVIZOU?t=35m28s
The video is in Portuguese but all that matters is the values of dyno right ? :)

Last edited:

Sausage

TDI
Lupo 1.4 TDI
Well, that definitely gives a lot of hope. Would love to know what he has done to achieve 200+HP let alone double that! I'm sticking with the 3 pot that's for sure.

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
Well, that definitely gives a lot of hope. Would love to know what he has done to achieve 200+HP let alone double that! I'm sticking with the 3 pot that's for sure.

Thats it man would love to see how reliable it is tho :D

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
Hi guys, yesterday we had a go at swapping the gearbox for the MK4 5 gears but we had no luck as the mounts were different but I wanted to ask would the vr6 g60 flywheel bolt up to the original box ? Because all I want is to fit a bigger clutch as I don't really mind the ratios that can be sorted by getting the bluemotion box

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Afaik the input shafts are differennt. So I dont know what 228mm disk will fit your gearbox. It can ve that later style 1.4 tdi have same sahft as normal 1.9 5 spd but iirc the early ones with short ratios have smaller spline

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
Afaik the input shafts are differennt. So I dont know what 228mm disk will fit your gearbox. It can ve that later style 1.4 tdi have same sahft as normal 1.9 5 spd but iirc the early ones with short ratios have smaller spline

oh okay i see, what do you think would be the best way to do it Ruben ? I didn't think this car was going to be as challenging as it is to find a solution for the clutch problem, while i was at my friends garage wee also tried to put the mk4 hubs on so i could have better brakes but even those don't really go in, well they fit but the driveshafts have some wiggle on them wen the hub nut is tighten.

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
Ask someone who did before and ask what mount he used for the gbox?0

i don't happen to know anyone that has done it but thanks for the help man worse case is having to fabricate a mount but if thats what it takes i dont mind will let you guys know how it goes

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
no ruben im still running the stock gearbox and just a uprated clutch on it, looked at doing the gearbox swap but some people say its impossible because the 1.4 has a unbalanced flywheel due to being 3 pots
I don't see why 3cyl FW would have imbalance, unless crank throws are not 120deg apart it should be balanced just the same as 4cyl
you will get more shudder than 4cyl, but this is not imbalance, this is power strokes being further apart, I'd run as heavy of flywheel as you can get, or have made, so it smooths out a little

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
a part of the counterweight is in the flywheel and harmonic damper. I assume there wasnt enough space to make it all into the crank?