Leaking oil from dsg

simas898

TDI
Hey,
My 2006 Passat started to leak oil from where transmission meets engine and it was leaking severely.it left a trail of oil where the car was riding.I suspected RMS and removed the gearbox,but i also noticed that engine oil is not missing and the leaking oil was bright similar to dsg fluid so i thought maybe it could be dsg fluid leaking.When i removed the gearbox the housing where the clutch cover is located was full of oil residue.Does any body have some ideas what it might be?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The clutch cover is likely cracked. It has a seal made on to it. It is included in the clutch repair kit, or you can buy the cover by itself. The part number for the cover is 02E-301-205-C. Held in with a big snap ring.

You need to lay the gearbox bellhouse up before you take it out, so the clutch assembly does not fall out.

Last edited:

simas898

TDI
Thank you :)
I am thinking to take the gearbox to a shop,but i just want to be sure that the rms is not leaking before doing that.Is there a way to find out without taking out the flywheel?I haven't inspected thoroughly but at first i didn't see any visible leaks through the flywheel.

oilhammer

TDI
Assuming this is a diesel: diesel oil will be black. DSG oil will be brownish to honey colored.

oilhammer

TDI
Great! Thanks for reporting back.

That is a rare problem on the 02E DSG, but I have seen it before.