1.4 TDI tuning/info

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Ah, that makes more sense. can get away with a lighter crank with the counterweight further from center

I balanced my big 7.25" clutch flywheel on a tire balancer, you can do calculated imbalance just the same way. Throw the stock fw on there, note the imbalance and position relative to the TDC mark (or any other reference) and then make the same imbalance on the new one with a drill.

Sausage

TDI
Lupo 1.4 TDI
Does anyone run the flywheel without the imbalance? if so do they leave the front crank counterweight pulley alone or remove that imbalance?

I have 228mm flywheel and clutch to go on, but wasn't going to be messing with the flywheel balance, but now think I might need to:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=343554

If so as suggested by 486 above you could stick the 3 pot flywheel on a bubble tyre balancer and put weights on it to balance it opposite the cut out, weigh the weights used and mark the location, then you know how much to remove on the 4 pot flywheel and where (directly opposite the weights location).

I dont have a balancer though....

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
If so as suggested by 486 above you could stick the 3 pot flywheel on a bubble tyre balancer and put weights on it to balance it opposite the cut out, weigh the weights used and mark the location, then you know how much to remove on the 4 pot flywheel and where (directly opposite the weights location).

I dont have a balancer though....
I used the kind that spins the wheel and tire then tells you the imbalance on the screen.

No friends that work in auto shops? I'm sure any automotive machine shop around you would know someone that balanced flywheels, but they'd want like a hundred bucks. If Ruben says people run it without, it's likely fine and a small imbalance.

Sausage

TDI
Lupo 1.4 TDI
I'll try it without, just then wondered about the front pulley without the flywheel to match might be causing stress.

Snuupy

TDI
VW POLO 6N2 1.4TDI AMF PD
Hi guys, I have a offer for Garret GTB1549V for a very good price, what do you think about this turbo? They say is good for 200h.p. and spool faster than most VNT17 or VNT20 turbos? I know I need custom manifold, but this is not a problem :)

I have a an other question: Did you know the max fuel injection quantity of a PD75 injectors, now I'm running 55mg of fuel. Did they can handle more fuel - 60/65mg before they fail?

Last edited:

biohaufen

TDI
Audi A2 1.4 TDI AMF
Hi Snuupy,

I ran about 70mg worth of duration with AMF injectors. (465cc)
So they shouldn't "fail" if you're running only 60-65mg.

Last edited:

Zaziki

TDI
1.4 PD75, 2.0 CR184
@Snuupy i run also ~69mg of fuel throuh BNM(465cc) injectors, everthing is fine.

I've done a simple remap on a BNM Engine, now like always, i want a bit more power from it. I'm now at 1,3 bar boost pressure, but i think it will kill my clutch since this car has done 222.000km so far and i have clutch slip when i use my trailer (to be honest 1,3t).

So, is there any recommendation today, for a stronger clutch - or a plug 'n ' play gearbox ?

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
@Snuupy i run also ~69mg of fuel throuh BNM(465cc) injectors, everthing is fine.
I've done a simple remap on a BNM Engine, now like always, i want a bit more power from it. I'm now at 1,3 bar boost pressure, but i think it will kill my clutch since this car has done 222.000km so far and i have clutch slip when i use my trailer (to be honest 1,3t).
So, is there any recommendation today, for a stronger clutch - or a plug 'n ' play gearbox ?
im going to try to put a 1.9 gearbox and clutch as so far its what everyone is doing not sure how much work will be involved in it, i already have the mounts for it, come new year and ill probably do it

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
Ruben managed to get myself a 6 speed too straight out of a polo with everything i need !
finally gonna be able to see what sort of power we are making

Snuupy

TDI
VW POLO 6N2 1.4TDI AMF PD
@biohaufen - Thanks, cuz I got software with 60mg of fuel and 1.3bar of boost, without MAF, EGR OFF and etc.
@Zaziki - My mapper recommendet to me a G60 flywheel with Golf MK4 clutch.

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
all is done boys got the 6 speed on and its working like a charm, little note to anyone thats planning on doing youll need to shave off some material on the engine mount the one in the left not to gearbox one as it wont line up next update is the dyno figures !

Bobby Singh

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi 3.0 TDI
all is done boys got the 6 speed on and its working like a charm, little note to anyone thats planning on doing youll need to shave off some material on the engine mount the one in the left not to gearbox one as it wont line up next update is the dyno figures !
Well done - looking forward to seeing what it makes.
Cheers

Chrislupo

TDI
Lupo3L1.2TDI,Lupo1.4TDI,Golf51.9TDI
Hi,
at the moment my lupo 1.4tdi amf (151.000km) has only a remap and
longer 4 (0.90) and 5 gear (0.65) with sachs performance clutch.
In 5th gear the car is not faster than before, but real quiet.
The car need more than a engine upgrade, but thats another thing...

Maybe this is interesting for some of you.
At the end of the month my 1.4 TDI is finally ready to get into my car again...
It has been bored to 81mm, got BHW pistons and H-style conrods...
Which headgasket you use?
I can´t find a solution, therefore i will use nüral+0,5 87-114907-46 from ARL.

Another question, which 1.4 tdi have these 50.85mm rodjournal?
http://rosten-performance.com/produ...sel/1-4tdi-pd-3cyl-big-journal-rodbearingset/

My camshaft is not in very well condition, a upgrade would be nice,
but i cannot find one...
Can I cut a 1.9 tdi camshaft and make a slot for tandem pump?

From a lupo 3l 1,2 tdi I will use the vnt and the light body parts.
Injektor 038 130 073 AL from ARL or 038 130 073 ag with new nozzels.

At the end I hope to reach 150+ with no or little smoke

best regards
chris

biohaufen

TDI
Audi A2 1.4 TDI AMF
Ok, I'm going through hell with my "1.4" TDI.
In short - I have fitted:

Complete engine rebuild
ARL overbore pistons (81,5mm)
H-Style Conrods with ARP Bolts
ARP Head Bolts
Sachs Performance Clutch + Pressure Plate
Firad +50 Nozzles in PD1.1 BA Bodies
GT1749VB with extended tip compressor wheel

STOCK INTERCOOLER (!) --> I know this is stupid, but for now I haven't found a proper small intercooler that fits in an A2 - my Ibiza Cupra FR intercooler is way too big
Stock exhaust with stock catalystic converter (has 280000km on it)

The engine has ran about 6000km for now.
The engine smoked black in every situation. Light throttle and full throttle! When driving around in part load, there was no smoke at all.
I have tried every possible setting regarding the duration. (multiplied ATL inj. maps by 0,75-0,85, depending on RPM and IQ)

At first with an GT1749V, which made about 1,65bar of boost, but had excessive wear. Unfortunately my balance shaft broke in half and therefore the engine ran about 1-2 seconds without oil pressure. --> This killed the turbo!

Now, with the GT1749VB, the black smoke is gone, but has changed to white!
I have reduced duration down low even further and retarted timing - resulting into really sh*tty power when the climate control is on. (transient response is awful!) BUT smoke is gone. If I add timing again - it starts to smoke black.
Especially weird —> When the Engine is cold it runs waaay better than hot. Now one could suspect that I have retarded timing too much in the 50 and 90 degrees SOI maps, BUT if I advance them only by less than 2 degrees, the black smoke when the engine is hot turns into sometimes black and sometimes A LOT of white smoke :/

*** is going on. I'm talking about 12 degrees of timing for 35mg - and it's smoking black??

I have reduced power compared to AMF PD injectors, at least if I try to be completely smoke free!
Can anyone explain this?
Are my injectors faulty? (eventhough they have been tested!)
Might this be a clogged CAT? My 1.4 TDI has smoked before the rebuild too, but only at WOT

PS:
BTW I cannot recommend to fit an GT1749VB on an 1.4 TDI, turbo lag is waaaay too big compared to GT1749V!

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
STOCK INTERCOOLER (!) --> I know this is stupid, but for now I haven't found a proper small intercooler that fits in an A2 - my Ibiza Cupra FR intercooler is way too big
go air/water, then you can jam it anywhere.
first gen prius has a good junkyard radiator and pump

Welington K.

TDI
VW Polo 1.4 TDI
hello everyone,
I never mentioned my figures, the car made 156hp at 3895rpm and 231lb-ft at 3335rpm with the road map,
specs are as follow if anyone is interested
1749vb turbo
PD130 injectors
Front mount off a T5 (not ideal but budget was limited)
1.9 fabia VRS gearbox HDS code
EGR bypass
Straight through exhaust

whats next ? maybe a dyno map and tidying up, I've got some 150 headbolts to go in too, car has been running on this setup for over 20.000 miles so far no problems !

Vekke

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A8 with 1.2 TDI VW Lupo 3L --> 2L (retired)
Just to give some ideas. This is how I made a waterair cooler that fits to lupo engine, or in my case this will go to the A8 with 1.2TDI. I try to make next even more compact package to fit 1.4TDI A2 body.

Core is from 1.2TSI engine and VW sparepart code for that is OE-03F145749B

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
doesnt it crack ver time being so far from the axis of engine rotation (crank) and the pretty harsh harmonics the 3 pot produces at low rpm/peak troque? or do you support the intake from the top also?

Vekke

Veteran Member
TDI
I will make more supports when its installed. It wont last like that for sure as there will be even more weight when water is inside.

I looked that at least valve cover bolts can be used. First need to modify the 1749VA turbo vacuum actuator place as it hit this when putting it in place.

Vekke

Veteran Member
TDI
Just finished my installation of the GTC1444VZ from 2.0 liter volvo to my 1.4 ATL. It wakes as early as the stock turbo. So that is pretty well suited for this engine. Will let you know when I have got some adjustments done to ecu program.

I used the lupo exhaust manifold and made new holes and one thread to fit it to the manifold. As you can see lupo manifold has little bit smaller internal volume. Downpipe is with 2.25" v band fitting.

kk84

TDI
Seat Arosa 1.4 TDI AMF
Hello,

After ARL PD's being fitted I tuned final version. Only limitation was stock clutch which bravely handled torque spike of 358Nm for short time during mapping.

So this is what I came up with :). There's also plan for sport camshaft at the end of spring.

P.S. Here are some measurments. Full tank of fuel, driver weight aprox. 105kg

Last edited:

biohaufen

TDI
Audi A2 1.4 TDI AMF
Hi!

It seems like the balance shaft is one of the main weak points with the 1.4 TDI.
Since I've fitted the GT1749VB and the Firad 50+ Nozzles, this is now the second time my balance shaft broke in half.

The car has run on 2 Bar boost and 75mg until 4200 RPM and made around 170-175hp.
The max RPM was programmed to be 5100 RPM.
Either this or the torque is way too much for the balance shaft.
The engine itself has ARL pistons, H-style conrods and has barely 20000km on it.

Does anyone know why the balance shaft is always breaking?
This time it shattered my oil pan which isn't quite so nice when it happens in regular driving.

How are others running 210hp with a 1.4 tdi? What have they done to the balance shaft?

intaketommy

TDI
VW Polo PD130
We will run without balance shaft soon (1.2 TDI).

We will it combine with a 2.0 CR oil pump with toothed beld (no chain anyway) ...because we installed oversize oil nozzles for the piston crown for more cooling. So the pump should hold the oil pressure.

biohaufen

TDI
Audi A2 1.4 TDI AMF
We will run without balance shaft soon (1.2 TDI).
We will it combine with a 2.0 CR oil pump with toothed beld (no chain anyway) ...because we installed oversize oil nozzles for the piston crown for more cooling. So the pump should hold the oil pressure.
Nice! Would be really nice if you say then how it turned out! I'm very interested :D