oil filter/cooler relocate adaptor question

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
Hi after a bit more help, with my ASZ into Reliant Scimitar swap

i've decided the best way around the oil cooler fouling on the chassis leg problem is to space it out by about 3"-4"

what i want to do is make 2 plates one bolted to the block and one to the ally vw oil filter/cooler housing then join the 2 together with solid pipes welded in and drilled to make it all solid

my question is how many oil ways are there - it looks like 2 main ones (a higher and a lower one) and a pressure relief or non return valve of some sort on the housing, what would this need piping into and what is the purpose of it?

cheers

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
in what way is it interfering on the chassis? Could it be solved by running a 1.8t petrol oil filter adapter ? would make for a simpler relocation of the spin on filter itself if needed still.

Last edited:

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
basically the cooler part lands right on top of the chassis rail

are the 1.8t oil cooler/filters higher up?
i haven't measured exactly but i think i'd need 1" at least off the bottom of it

sounds like a potential good solution - i'd much rather do that than make an adaptor plate

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
you can see it here the cooler is removed but the housing is still bolted to the block in the right place, it's not a great picture but gives an idea of my problem

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI

CasaEd

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Passat TDi B4, VW Passat TDi B4 GL, VW Passat B3 PD AWX Conversion
Is there enough space to fit a Air oil cooler type sandwich plate and run that style of oil cooler instead ?

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
i've started on making an adaptor using the standard filter housing
i found out there are 4 holes i need to connect up, hopefully the way i understand it is:-
larger upper one - main filtered oil feed out to engine
smaller upper one - filtered oil feed to head
lower right - main oil feed in from pump
lower left one is to drain to the sump for when the filter is removed
so far i've made 2 plates and bolted them in place

then holding the filter in the new position tacked some sprags to hold it - welding is poor as it was difficult to get into it while it was bolted in situ

then i will remove it and weld the connecting pipes in once its on the bench i'll get a good weld on so it'll be solid

evguy1

Vendor
TDI
2000 Jeep Cherokee TDI, 2008 Jeep JKU TDI
I would have made the plate thicker, then threaded the holes so you could run hose to a place that made the filter change easy.
With the added spacing between the two plates you will have to reinforce between the two or the vibrations will crack the welds.

CarlosVanDango

TDI
1.9 ATJ & 1.9ASZ
i don't think the welds will crack the pipe i used is quite thick walled
not the best pics but its fitted in place now and nothing catches