What problems to expect from A4 Jetta TDIs?

duandcc

As you all know, I have a 1998 Passat 1.8T and am considering getting a 1999.5 or 2000 (A4) Jetta TDI. Everyone has problems with their cars, no car is perfect. So, can we all put aside the "My car is perfect" attitude and be honest here.... What kinds of problems should I expect? What problems have you had? I just want to make an informed decision... :confused:

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
Duandcc,

Here's my story w/ VW's. I had a '90 gasser w/ 155k miles & no serious problems. Now I have a '00 auto Jetta TDI & a '01 manual Jetta TDI. There are 13k miles on the auto & 16k miles on the manual--so basically they are still new. I don't have an attitude but my cars are perfect
! I believe that what's made them that way is that I NEVER take them into the dealer. Thank goodness I haven't had to yet but I really don't expect to. I have the Bentley manual and plan to do ALL maintenance myself.

Just read this awesome website for all the maintenance your car needs. The problem people have with cars not lasting long is due to poor up-keep. Use Amsoil or Delvac 1, a good by-pass filter system and OF GREATEST IMPORTANCE IS TO KEEP YOUR TIMING BELT CHANGED (look at your owners manual for time interval).

I sincerely believe this. I bought my '90 VW jetta gasser used w/ 102k miles and everyone told me I would have nothing but headaches. I never did! I only did normal maintenance and the normal wear items like CV joints etc. My wife's Honda was 'sick' until I met her and again I just performed typical maint. and it was fine (until some 16 year old 'girl' totalled it
).

The moral: maintain your car religiously and it will last a lifetime! Change your oil frequently-even the good, expensive oil. If people say you're wasting money, so be it--atleast you'll have a car while they are walking!

'Spend a little now or a lot later'.

The TDIs are great, dependable, and cheap in the long run. If you have a question about TDIs, this is THE PLACE to ask.

blugg

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 99.5, black
duandcc: I have a 99.5 Jetta TDI. I've been on Fred's since I bought it, and it seems to me, from what I've read over the last two years is that the engine itself is bulletproof.

Problems seem to occur with externals: The EGR valve, relay 109 (easily replaceable), the Garret VNT-15 turbo, which has variable vanes instead of a wastegate, and which can get crudded up and stick; the hose coming out of the valve cover (EPA mandated) and into the intake, which exudes a slight oil mist that coats the intake manifold and allows soot input from the EGR valve to progessively coat the walls of the intake manifold and eventually clog it - sort of like cholesterol clogged arteries - etc.

There are fixes for most of these problems. The Epsilonian Federation has some thoughts about the EGR valve. There is a fix for the hose from the valve cover, etc.

As you can see, most problems are caused by external EPA mandated crap. The engine itself is a jewel.

Properly maintained with synthetic oil and air filter and oil filter changes at sensible intervals, the damn thing might last forever.

gamaf

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 TDI GLS Bright Green
00 Jetta GLS TDI
Bought in Aug99, have 93k kilometers on it. Had a broken glovebox hinge, and there are some cracks in the lower engine cover, and a small part of a rear window frame is showing some rust. Dealer will replace that part gratis during my next visit. Other than that have had zero problems. I drive a lot on rough paved roads and some dirt roads. Do not have a single rattle. Last year there was an intermittent buzzing from the sunroof occasionally, but even that has disappeared. It is really fun to drive. Just ahd the timing belt changed, and I dont know if its my imagination or not, but it feels even faster. It is stock but goes like the devil.
Far and away the best car I ever had.

green+blue

Veteran Member
To JettaJim my best imitation of a back bench MP - HERE, HERE. The biggest problem I have had is WATCHING the dealer's service department (I would have gone ANYWHERE else except for fear of a warranty fight later). Look at EVERYTHING those people touch.My experience has included an engine cover not secured, numerous greasy fingerprints, caps not replaced or not secured, too much oil in the crankcase. "You need to drive it so the filter and galleys can fill" I was told...

Oh the CAR, it's been a gem... One relay required replacement under warranty (I think the dealer played switch the parts till the CEL went out because they couldn't tell me which relay tho'.)

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
00 JEDI TDI 68,000 miles to date.

-new ECU when i had Wett
-bunch of injector pump codes cleared and fine, again when i was Wett.
-badyears replaced with alot of fuss from VWoA
-replaced relay 109 under my own free will so no problems there. (01 have the new 109
)
-DBW thottle position sensor just went south, Pete helped me and we cleaned it and all is well.

other then that the car has been GREAT [garrett knocks on wood] and i could not be happier. oh, hte clutch is still as strong as day one, even with chip and Tuning Box.

g

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
oh, the problems you could expect are;

-relay 109 if it does not have the new one. car just dies.
-injector pump failures have been noted but VWoA won't admit it
-Bad year tires suk @ss
-MAF sensors have seemed to taken a turn for the worse.
-some clutches seem to be inferior

remember that this is on a very small % of the cars out there. would i not buy a TDI for this, nope, if i could i would tell everyone to get one. they are well worth it.

g-the salesman

cocca

Veteran Member
The things that I have had "not go right" with my car.
1) Fuel Door latch replaced @ 15k miles (warranty);
2) Center Console/Armrest latch broke (was I too rough???)(warranty);
3) A/C pressure switch ($160.00);
4) My blinkers do not work well when the temperature goes below 40 degrees Farenheit (no action taken).
That's it.

paschalini

Veteran Member
We have a 2000 Jetta TDI. We had the drivers seat rail replaced, as the seat would creak/pop on acceleration. This was done under warranty. Aside from that and a few little buzzes, which were quieted quickly by the dealer at our "free" maintenances, the car has been perfect.

Bona

2000 Jetta TDI, Due for it's 20K service today.
Problems: 5K Drivers seat squeek, fixed under warranty.
Rear ashtray doors don't close, supposed to be fixed today.
Velcro came off the left rear floor mat so the mat slides forward. I will glue this back on myself.

I will have the dealer do this service but generally plan on doing most of the other service myself. The bentley manual is great. It is one of the many reasons I like VW's.

tam4

Veteran Member
99.5 Jetta with 98,000 miles, 58,000 of which are modified.

Main (only) problem so far… the inexplicable urge to get in the car and drive, drive…..and keep driving!!!!

green+blue

Veteran Member
Bora, I have found doors on ashtray have very close tolerance and easily become stuck from sand or dirt I bring in to back seat. My master simply disassembles and vacumes.
REX (the dog - helpful note to Prius Owners)

CoolWhiteDude

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 1999, Cool White
I've had only one problem and that is with the intake manifold clogging up with soot. I've had this car for almost 2 years and just turned 27K. I get a lot of little rattles when the interior of the car is real cold or real hot. I just noticed rust on the rear window track and also on the front door speaker grilles. Overall I'm very satisfied with this car. Performance is fantastic and fuel mileage averages around 46MPG. I was thinking of trading up to a GLS model but dealers are asking top dollar now that fuel prices are so high. On the upside,the value of my car is listed in the NADA yellow book is almost what I paid for it(17,452)!!!

think diesel

Veteran Member
I've got 26k miles on my 1999.5 Jetta GL TDI and I can honestly say I have not had a single problem or warranty claim to date. My car has been perfect.

[ May 26, 2001: Message edited by: think diesel ]

Jtwizard

Veteran Member
TDI
j7wizard
I have a '00 Jetta GLS TDI with 27k miles on it. I have had exactly ZERO problems with the car. It is very well built , and that says alot(I am an automobile test engineer
). Garrettp just Upsouted me (yehaw) and Goodyear 'adjusted' a set of Michelin Pilots on my ride.

Life is good!!

Jeff

[ May 26, 2001: Message edited by: Jtwizard ]