Anyone privately sell their fixed Gen 1?

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
I'm curious if the restitution that, in part, is supposed to cover lost vehicle value due dieselgate is being realized. Or maybe it's too early to tell. If I get my JSW fixed and some time later sell it for $14k, it's equivalent to the buyback value. The longer I keep her and can still sell for $14k, all the better. I suppose a parallel question is what folks might get from their insurance company if they total a fixed vehicle. Currently I'm not planning on making any decisions until next summer.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
I've seen many for sale, and wonder *** the owners are thinking. Way overpriced. The only reason that used TDIs had such a commanding used price, was because they weren't fixed yet and they were worth full value + restitution from VW at that point. After being fixed, they are worth much less and the market is finding this out as used, fixed, older TDIs sit for long times with no buyers.

Your JSW is a 2011. For $17k you can find many low mileage 2015 GSWs with a huge warranty. Why would someone only save $3k for a much older model?

If you want the most value out of your JSW - sell it back to VW. If you get $19k, you can buy a 2015 TDI for less than that!

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
EXACTLY what surfstar said. Bidding at auctions start at 3-4K for these cars and then go to 10K+ by people who buy them for buyback flip.

Also if you take buyback value and deduct the fix payment, you will still not sell it for $9K

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I'm curious if the restitution that, in part, is supposed to cover lost vehicle value due dieselgate is being realized. Or maybe it's too early to tell. If I get my JSW fixed and some time later sell it for $14k, it's equivalent to the buyback value. The longer I keep her and can still sell for $14k, all the better. I suppose a parallel question is what folks might get from their insurance company if they total a fixed vehicle. Currently I'm not planning on making any decisions until next summer.
... IMHO:p

.... there may-might-can-will be exceptions to the rule that the BB is a max.

.... PRIME condition, low miles, base model(s) might find one (1) willing buyer ... in time.

.... We all see some willing buyers flying-driving hunderds of miles to see,
look, test drive, a TDi cars

.... like land --- VW ain't making more TDIs --- for USA

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
I guess I'm thinking about it since:
-my car has relatively low miles for 2011, 50k
-my car is a manual, no sunroof car

I've thought about getting a 2015 off and on, but finding a manual, let alone one with fewer miles than mine at a decent price, isn't easy. But yeah, the math may not add up in most cases. But geez I wish they built a 2015 manual GSW with heated seats and no hole in the roof (u.s. market) like my 2011.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You have some time on your side., and your car DOES have low miles.

I too have similar feelings.

In my case I think there is a way to get more the BB. VW never did consider condition nor untra low miles in the BB.

BUT real markets do.

I'm intrigued with the NADA-KBB on similar cars one year older than my car

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
No need to consider the condition when VW is already paying an extremely over inflated price compared to actual market value. Things may change though years from now when dieselgate dies down and the flood of cars on the market exhausts itself.

Last edited:

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
No need to consider the condition when you are already paying an extremely over inflated price compared to actual market value. Things may change though years from now when dieselgate dies down and the flood of cars on the market exhausts itself.
There are plenty of fixed cars at auctions right now. Any model year you want... no one is buying them

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Mine sold right away. Actually had a list of people waiting, first call sold it, sight unseen.

Of course, I "fixed" it myself. :D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Anyone who thinks they can get more than buyback value for their tdi is living in fantasyland. The only possible exception might be a car with less than 100 miles on the odometer stored in a climate controlled warehouse- and that car probably doesn't exist.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyone who thinks they can get more than buyback value for their tdi is living in fantasyland. The only possible exception might be a car with less than 100 miles on the odometer stored in a climate controlled warehouse- and that car probably doesn't exist.

...... Mine is a 2015 Golf (S) TDi Tungsten Silver with 6,135 on the clock

..... 'bout 35,000 miles less than AVE

...... you do allow the fix money to be subtracted from the BB amount?

...... I will get the "fix" money before I sell it.

...... my BB = $25,625.

..... at the fix I get $6,701 plus BOSCH + $350 = $7,051 (2/3 + 1/3)

..... well KBB is showing $18,948 on 2014 Golf TDi DSG CPO
..... and NADA is showing $19,050 on 2014 TDi DSG CPO

.... I used CPO because as my car has the 11 year, 162,000 warranty is in affect

..... even if I do not make a buck or two, might be a fun challenge

..... and I get to ride my DSG TDI a few more miles.

..... heavens, I love that car:D:D:D:D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...... Mine is a 2015 Golf (S) TDi Tungsten Silver with 6,135 on the clock

..... 'bout 35,000 miles less than AVE

...... you do allow the fix money to be subtracted from the BB amount?

...... I will get the "fix" money before I sell it.

...... my BB = $25,625.

..... at the fix I get $6,701 plus BOSCH + $350 = $7,051 (2/3 + 1/3)

..... well KBB is showing $18,948 on 2014 Golf TDi DSG CPO
..... and NADA is showing $19,050 on 2014 TDi DSG CPO

.... I used CPO because as my car has the 11 year, 162,000 warranty is in affect

..... even if I do not make a buck or two, might be a fun challenge

..... and I get to ride my DSG TDI a few more miles.

..... heavens, I love that car:D:D:D:D
Well, if you're including the fix money in your calculus, it might be possible, though unlikely, to beat the buyback amount. The longer you keep the car, the less likely that becomes.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, if you're including the fix money in your calculus, it might be possible, though unlikely, to beat the buyback amount. The longer you keep the car, the less likely that becomes.

The $7,051 fix money IS there, and does not evap before I will sell it.

NADA and KBB both are giving great values for 2014 models (currantyly)

Mine is a 2015

The longer have the car (IMO) The fewer TDIs will be out there. Attrition

Normal owners drive 'bout 12,000 -15,000 more miles per year, than I do.

If I try this method, and pull it of ~~ all I need is to find one (1) willing buyer.

IMO --- the 162,000 miles, 11 year warranty is the kicker

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In today's market, your fixed golf s would probably bring $13-15k. I only see that number going down over time.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In today's market, your fixed golf s would probably bring $13-15k. I only see that number going down over time.

NADA and KBB says different.

I have until Summer to do a fix or take the $25,625 BB

If I do the $7,051 fix (and temp save the $1,000 TT&L) I will be looking at the new techs on 2018 and 2019 Golf (S). Who knows, maybe the DSG will be back.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Take a look at cargurus.com. NADA means nada when people can get the same car for far less. Unless you can find someone who doesn't price shop a new car.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
NADA and KBB probably don't have any way to distinguish between fixed and unfixed cars. It's entirely possible that those numbers are being distorted by cars changing hands prior to either being fixed or bought back.

I don't believe VW has approval to resell bought back and fixed Gen 1 cars yet. If and when that happens, and if VW tries to resell these cars in significant numbers, look for the bottom to fall out due to oversupply on the used market.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
NADA and KBB values will drop to normal when the dieselgate inflated prices drop. There are many of left over 2015's and bought back cars. There is no shortage of these cars at the moment. But everyone has an opinion and mine differs from yours. Being that mine is a new 2015 Beetle with only 4500 miles on it and they only made maybe 4k tdis or so of the Beetles that year mine ought to be worth double KBB value. Probably not. I plan on keeping mine until the warranty runs out at least any way. By then it won't matter.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NADA and KBB values will drop to normal when the dieselgate inflated prices drop.

There are many of left over 2015's and bought back cars. There is no shortage of these cars at the moment.

But everyone has an opinion and mine differs from yours. Being that mine is a new 2015 Beetle with only 4500 miles on it and they only made maybe 4k tdis or so of the Beetles that year mine ought to be worth double KBB value.

Probably not. I plan on keeping mine until the warranty runs out at least any way. By then it won't matter.
A man after my own heart:D

My 2015 Golf has 6,135 ~~ wish there was a way to find out how many were minted:rolleyes:

Yeah yeah, the $25,625 BB is tempting. But the new car $1,000 TT&L + hassle of getting a replacement (at a great price).

On top of that giving up the DSG and TDi is a bummer:mad:

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
^you seem to highly appreciate the value of your car.

Sell it to VW, pocket $25k, go out and buy a used Nissan Leaf for $6k. With as few miles as you put on, that will be the best value play. You have a Rav4 for longer trips, right?
Perfect combo. Electric motors have even more instant torque off the line than TDIs.

my $.02

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^you seem to highly appreciate the value of your car.

Sell it to VW, pocket $25k, go out and buy a used Nissan Leaf for $6k. With as few miles as you put on, that will be the best value play. You have a Rav4 for longer trips, right?

Perfect combo. Electric motors have even more instant torque off the line than TDIs. my $.02

We do have a 2015 RAV4 LIMITED.

Prefer to stay with my Golf TDi, DSG or maybe future 2018 - 2019 Golf. NO EVs for me. Thanks, no thanks

I have until Summer to to get the $25,625

If I do the fix, I will have studied the "trending" full bore dealer resale figures. (i. e. NADA + KBB) If my unit is still doing well at that time ~~ the fix might be good to go.

Every dollar counts. BUT, I will give 'bout $1,000-$1,500 "edge" to my 2015 DSG and TDi -- come time to make a final decision.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Everyone here already knows you can't make up your mind. Do you have to rehash it over and over again? Just let us know when you do make a decision. Not trying to be rude, but what is the point?

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
Every dollar counts. BUT, I will give 'bout $1,000-$1,500 "edge" to my 2015 DSG and TDi -- come time to make a final decision.
If every dollar counts, why not go my proposed route, which puts $15k+ back into your pocket? That is 10x your $1500 "edge". Propose it to the wife:
"What if we had $15k and a Leaf instead of that VW that rarely gets driven?"
Take a vacation. Put it in the bank. If money is that big an issue (which all your posts allude to), do something about it.

Dieselgate is the best thing financially for anyone who owned an affected TDI. Take advantage of it.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If every dollar counts, why not go my proposed route, which puts $15k+ back into your pocket?

That is 10x your $1500 "edge". Propose it to the wife:

"What if we had $15k and a Leaf instead of that VW that rarely gets driven?"

Take a vacation. Put it in the bank. If money is that big an issue (which all your posts allude to), do something about it.

Dieselgate is the best thing financially for anyone who owned an affected TDI. Take advantage of it.

surfstar --- sir:

in another post I was warned by a MOD for saying what I really think of EVs. So MUMs the word on that issue.

Regarding the great financial situation, I do intend to take full advantage of it.

.... we all see great TDICLUB members taking advantage of horrible condition cars. Right? Mine is prime condition, with 6K miles.

NOTE: I do NOT buy my TDi to gain from dieselgate It was to be my last vehicle. Goes with the territory.

.... another issue with the BB is you are not being paid for the ultra low mileage cars. Not 100 % sure but believe I would get the same $25,625 if I had driven another 30,000 miles.

.... at this minuet the combination of NADA - KBB (average) plus $7,051 fix money plus NO new car $1,000 TT&L is superior to the BB $25,625.

Last edited:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
surfstar --- sir:

in another post I was warned by a MOD for saying what I really think of EVs. So MUMs the word on that issue.

Regarding the great financial situation, I do intend to take full advantage of it.

.... we all see great TDICLUB members taking advantage of horrible condition cars. Right? Mine is prime condition, with 6K miles.

NOTE: I do NOT buy my TDi to gain from dieselgate It was to be my last vehicle. Goes with the territory.

.... another issue with the BB is you are not being paid for the ultra low mileage cars. Not 100 % sure but believe I would get the same $25,625 if I had driven another 30,000 miles.

.... at this minuet the combination of NADA - KBB (average) plus $7,051 fix money plus NO new car $1,000 TT&L is superior to the BB $25,625.

Why do you have a diesel when you only drive it 3000 or less miles per year?

Are you saving it as a collectable? :confused:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Why do you have a diesel when you only drive it 3000 or less miles per year?
.... the ultra low miles I drive ~~ is only what I drive. (8 miles a day?)

--- compared to the ave of 35-ish? Retired ~~ have 2 cars

... to your point of why. I bought my TDi from Joe Machen VW. (in MO.) He had maybe 40 Golf (S) in inventory, and for some odd reason he offered me a TDi for 'bout the same as a TSi :rolleyes:

.... Mom had no first born idiot sons. I had them deliver the TDi to my house.

.... When I was selling my 2003 Golf GSL gasser, 5M ~~ I noticed the 2003 diesel was much higher in resale value.

Are you saving it as a collectable?
.... I did not buy it as a collectable. -- See above info.

... $25,625 BB is a sure thing (unless wrecked or stolen before) ~~ risk of fix is rapid falling full bore dealer prices.

... even in a rapid falling resale situation, I have confidence I can find one (1) willing buyer in the USA (with the help of Ebay, C. L., CARS.COM, AUTOTRADER,) to do OK.

Or just keep on trucking:D