97 AHU TDI swap in 86 Jetta

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
98 A3 TDI 5spd, 86 w/TDI 02A in prog.
My built AAZ headed 1.6 IDI blew up so i'm going TDI. Found a 97 for a good price so i'm gonna swap everything from the 97 in to mine.

My car is the early MKII so it has CE1. Sounds like CE2 would have been easier. I plan to swap all the wiring from the mkIII to my car. Including the interior. Might go as far as the dash and steering colum.

I'm going to run my T3 with a 50 trim compressor and AAZ intake till i build my compound twin setup.

Going to run it stock with the exception of the turbo and intake for now.

Couple early questions are:

Will the N75 valve control the T3 wastegate?

What will be needed for wiring of CE1 to 97 AHU?

I plan to get a custom tune and got a vag-com too. No EGR and would like to eliminate the MAF.

I have a FMIC on the car now, gauges, overkill 3" exhaust. Plan to run 20-25psi and Bosio PowerPlus 764 Injector Nozzles, 11mm pump, water inj.

But for now need to figure out what to do as far as wiring and dash swap.

The car already has jetta 3 plus suspension under it. So 02A and AHU it will be a mkIII cept for the body.

Most of the threads i found were all CE2 and didn't explain the wiring much.

Heres my IDI build then kill thread:

http://www.vwdiesel.net/forum/index.php?topic=24143.0

Spulen81

Veteran Member
The easiest way to do it is swap to CE2. I pondered doing a CE1 swap since my coupe is an '86, I wired an AHU into my old truck and it was pretty easy. After thinking about it I went CE2. Its totally worth the hassle of swapping over IMO. You loose the plug and play part and the flexibility to swap whatever components you want. With the CE2 swap everything literally plugs in and works like magic. :D The harnesses are all modular so you just pick the one for whatever you are using. If you are using a MK3 dash, use MK3 harnesses. MK2 dash, MK2 harnesses. You can use MK2 fan, charging and starting harnesses to keep things simple or use all the MK3 stuff. In my car I swapped the rear CE2 Jetta harness, both front MK2 GTI harness and dash harness. I used a Passat (I think) engine harness and MK3 cluster. The rear Jetta harness I used was from a gasser and I used the stock fuel pump wiring to run my in tank lift pump.

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
Well i may have access to a CE2 MKII car to use the harness. But how hard would it be to swap all the MKIII stuff over to my early MKII car? Engine harness, dash harness, rear harness. Maybe if the new car has pwr window i'd swap to that?

I've messed with swapping suspension and transmissions but haven't got in to electronics and wiring harnesses yet.

I was planning to do a mTDI but after thinking about it and finding the MKIII it would cost about the same. Or at least not be cheap enough to want mTDI. I may have some more hrs in the swap but in the long run i'll be able to plug a VAG-COM right in and diag and data log where as the mTDI would be more work to fine tune.

Thanks for the insight. It helps me realize how nice it will be with the MKIII setup.

Spulen81

Veteran Member
The wiring portion won't be too bad IMO especially if you swap everything over. There is no reason you couldn't do the power windows using MK3 wiring and MK2 regs although I haven't done this myself.

The dash swap requires some cutting and welding to get it to bolt up. You have to remove the sheet metal hump on the firewall near the windshield and weld up brackets for the MK3 kneebar/dash mounts. There are a couple diys on vwvortex that will help in this area.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
I would use MK2 CE2 wiring for the most part with the CE2 engine part from the TDI. The MK3 dash is not a good fit into a MK2 IMO. I'd just current dash to use the MK3 cluster.

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
Do the MK3 clusters look ok in the MK2 dash? I guess i should look vortex over good.

foxracer1

Veteran Member
TDI
Well guess i'll weigh my options. Gotta get the car runnin as its my primary driver. The v8 s-10 is not made for snow travel plus i hate to bathe it in salt.(not that i like to with the jetta either hence a reason i'm moving to cali)