2012 Camera/Back up sensor Retrofit?

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Has anyone out there done a backup sensor/backup camera retrofit to their 2012 Passat? I've inquired about it at the local dealer (even supplied part numbers) and they tell me those part numbers are SPECIFICALLY for the CC and won't work on the Passat.

If you've done either, how much did it run you and was the programming difficult to achieve full functionality?

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
Has anyone out there done a backup sensor/backup camera retrofit to their 2012 Passat? I've inquired about it at the local dealer (even supplied part numbers) and they tell me those part numbers are SPECIFICALLY for the CC and won't work on the Passat.
If you've done either, how much did it run you and was the programming difficult to achieve full functionality?
Folks over on the Vortex B7 forum have done both. Since I have the SE without nav, I am going to do the Bosch backup sensors. Here is the link for the thread I am using, there are others.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5626869-Bosch-Park-Pilot-(parking-sensors)-DIY
There are folks with SEL's that are installing the backup camera's but I don't have those links handy.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Folks over on the Vortex B7 forum have done both. Since I have the SE without nav, I am going to do the Bosch backup sensors. Here is the link for the thread I am using, there are others.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5626869-Bosch-Park-Pilot-(parking-sensors)-DIY
There are folks with SEL's that are installing the backup camera's but I don't have those links handy.
I see you're in Maine, but are you getting a dealership/shop to do your installation or are you going to do it yourself? And do you know if it's possible to hook that same Bosch kit up to the front of the vehicle as well (similar to the 200-2010 factory models)?

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
I see you're in Maine, but are you getting a dealership/shop to do your installation or are you going to do it yourself? And do you know if it's possible to hook that same Bosch kit up to the front of the vehicle as well (similar to the 200-2010 factory models)?
The site IXLR8 mentioned refers to Loline kit, not Hiline kit (where the direction indicator on the screen will turn while you turn left or right).
The sensor kit I think is called ParkPilot.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
I live in Maine, work in Mass, hence the TDI. :) I am going to use the Bosch Pilot Park kit, it only has 4 rear sensors. Another person posted that they used a different brand kit, with 8 sensors and he had some regrets putting in the front sensors. I don't remember what the issues were with the front sensors. Here is a link to his thread;
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5690238-How-to-Install-front-and-rear-parking-sensors
Yes I am installing them myself, based on my experiences with the local dealers so far.. they won't be changing my air filter, never mind digging into the electronics. Since I don't have nav in my car, I can't install the rear camera, so I have not paid too much attention to the camera installs. There are several different kits out there for that, some have the guidance lines on the display, some don't. For the cameras, your best bet is to do a search for them in the B7 thread on Vortex.

CNNPress

TDI
12 Passat TDi
I live in Maine, work in Mass, hence the TDI. :) I am going to use the Bosch Pilot Park kit, it only has 4 rear sensors. Another person posted that they used a different brand kit, with 8 sensors and he had some regrets putting in the front sensors. I don't remember what the issues were with the front sensors. Here is a link to his thread;
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5690238-How-to-Install-front-and-rear-parking-sensors
Yes I am installing them myself, based on my experiences with the local dealers so far.. they won't be changing my air filter, never mind digging into the electronics. Since I don't have nav in my car, I can't install the rear camera, so I have not paid too much attention to the camera installs. There are several different kits out there for that, some have the guidance lines on the display, some don't. For the cameras, your best bet is to do a search for them in the B7 thread on Vortex.
Agree. I am, too, looking for the RVC retrofit. So far, I came down to these two possible part combinations: 5N0907441 with 5N0827566 or 7N0907441 with 5N0827566. I am still researching, though.

MaynardLD50

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I want to put a RVC in bad. I had a 2006 300C SRT-8 before this that had the rear beeping sensors that I didn't think I would miss, but BOY does the rear visibility suck in this car. Small window and small mirrors make for a scared Maynard during backing up. The funny thing is I'm sure you guys are just like me, you freak out when backing up to a wall or spot and when you get out to check your like "God I have like 10 more feet of space." That rear window being small along with a lack of trunk visibility is tough.

jaredaggie

TDI
2000 ALH, Black, 5M; 2013 Passat TDI 2.0 6MT
I also want to add this to mine, undecided on just camera or beepers too. If you look at videos of RNS510 w/ highline cam and beepers its pretty sweet. That and some better head/tail lights and I'll be done.

TD Einspritzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
I want to put a RVC in bad. Small window and small mirrors make for a scared Maynard during backing up. The funny thing is I'm sure you guys are just like me, you freak out when backing up to a wall or spot and when you get out to check your like "God I have like 10 more feet of space." That rear window being small along with a lack of trunk visibility is tough.
I couldn't agree more. It even takes me a while to get uses to the front as well. Would love to have a back up camera in mine. Not sure, but is it possible to put it in the SE with the 510 (no navi)?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
I couldn't agree more. It even takes me a while to get uses to the front as well. Would love to have a back up camera in mine. Not sure, but is it possible to put it in the SE with the 510 (no navi)?
I was under the impression that no nav meant no input so no camera. The link that 740GLE provided to Bold-Sport, indicates that if you have the RCD-510, with 26 pin input, then it should work. How you find out if your RCD-510 has this 26 pin input, I don't know, short of pulling the dash appart. This option I would like to find out more about.
EDIT:
I did some more research, it seems there are two versions of the RCD510, one with the 26pin connector for video input, one without. In general, if you car came with a rear camera, it has the connector for video. If you car didn't come with the camera, it does not have the connector. The only way to know for sure is to pull the radio and look. Here is a link to an image of the rear of the unit. Apparently connector "6" is the video connector.
http://www.my-gti.com/1313/volkswagen-rcd-510-pin-assignments

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Wait for 2013s to start getting wrecked and get the RCD-510 out of those in a junk yard (or buy from the dealer for $$$$$). The 2012 RCD-510 does not have the camera input.

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
bold-sport.com has a RVC kit listed for $250, cable and harness. I'm thinking of doing this as the first addtion.

http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=43_67&product_id=165

the non nav screens don't have the input connKector for the camera so it's pretty much impossible with stock parts. People are selling RNS-315's pretty cheap thou.
Just to be clear. I have rns-510 and by using product on this link I do not have to look for power fuse or deal with CECM. ? How about does it know when I backing up then?

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Both the low-line and the high-line rear view camera installations are discussed in detail here:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5500210-HOW-TO-Passat-B7-Rear-View-Camera-Install
I also started a thread on VW Navi on my high-line installation. I have so far been unable to successfully complete the calibration procedure, but just haven't had the time to get back to it. The camera does work fine, calibrated or not!

usarmy132 - you will need to connect to 12V in the fuse panel with a buddy fuse (easy) or install a repair wire and put in a new fused circuit (not so easy) in the fuse panel using already existing spares (one side is already wired), ground and the reverse circuit. The reverse can be picked up from the wiring in the trunk. To determine which are wired spares in the fuse panel, just look for the empty slots with a metal contact in the upper position. You can check with a voltmeter to see if 12V hot always or switched on with the key. Need to use the one that is always hot.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The reverse light wiring can be used as a trigger wire so no CCEM is needed. But you'll still need a fuse like Norm said.

BTW why do you need to use one thats always hot? becuase the navi unit is always hot?

You're running the video cable from the trunk to cabin anyways so you're just running the power line as well.

The only thing that originally scared me from this was the CCEM stuff. I ordered the camera from the guy on vortex offering it up for $125, i'll order the cable from boldsport once/if the camera shows up. Probably two weeks before its done.

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Thank you for make it clear for me. I will order set from boldsport really soon (as soon my wife approves 300$ ) and in addition I will order all the recommend tools for trim and dash removal. So for the reverse wire in the trunk do you know which one that is? And next I just strip it and connect wire from a camera to it and cover with electrical tape? if that's a case I think I can do it.:confused:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
The reverse light wiring can be used as a trigger wire so no CCEM is needed. But you'll still need a fuse like Norm said.

BTW why do you need to use one thats always hot? becuase the navi unit is always hot?

You're running the video cable from the trunk to cabin anyways so you're just running the power line as well.

The only thing that originally scared me from this was the CCEM stuff. I ordered the camera from the guy on vortex offering it up for $125, i'll order the cable from boldsport once/if the camera shows up. Probably two weeks before its done.
I'll say that you need a always hot 12 volt to the camera because when I had my high-line RVC hooked to a switched 12V source, I kept getting error codes from the RNS. Not sure if it is also applicable to the low-line, but as long as fused, should be fine. It doesn't turn on until you pop it into reverse. With a constant 12V sorce, no more errors.

The right backup lamp uses a blue/black wire and the left backup lamp uses a blue/violet wire. Grounds are brown. I did some reviewing of the trunk electrical wiring - I believe that the red/blue wire that feeds to the trunk lamp is hot at all times. This comes from the CECM, powers all the interior roof lamps, glove box lamp, and comes from either fuse F12, F29 or F30. When you open the trunk, the switch in the latch tells the CECM to connect the ground from the trunk lamp (brown/blue wire) to ground. The lamp lights since it already has 12V on one side of the bulb that is always on. This wire loom is on the right side behind the carpet. If that is the case, all of the connections needed for the low-line RVC power, reverse and ground are available on the right side of the trunk in the wiring harness that is there, including a factory ground stud on the back side of the wheel well. You just need to unwrap the loom and look for the right color wires. All the more reason to buy that right side hinge cover to run the wires in. Then you can run the video cable up the right side of the car. the left side is quite crowded, and I suspect the right side would be easier.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
did you happen to take any pics of the install and associated trunk wiring?

Also whats the part number for the right side trunk hinge cover?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Electrical tape on anything is not recommended. There are preferred methods and tools for properly adding and splicing wiring to the vehicle.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
did you happen to take any pics of the install and associated trunk wiring?

Also whats the part number for the right side trunk hinge cover?
Sorry - no pics of the wiring, but the color codes above should be good, once you unwrap the cloth tape to get access. I actually installed the highline camera, and took everything up front. You should only need to take the camera cable to the front to plug into the back of the NAV unit. Everything else is there in the trunk. There are a lot of pics of my RVC install here: http://s1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj550/vw_norm/

The cover for the right side trunk hinge is 561-971-821-82V. It's called a "holder", as in loom holder?

Last edited:

jaredaggie

TDI
Hey VW_Norm, thanks for the guidance for those considering. Have you got the hi line calibration sorted out yet? I know you said you hadn't had time to mess with it yet, last I heard. Also, if you had it to do again, would you recommend lo line or hi line version?

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
Just got mine working, took about 5 hours from beginning to the end (including putting tools away). Thank you guys for your help, and vw norm for providing information about wiring in the trunk. :)

jaredaggie

TDI
usarmy132, glad to hear your wife let you pull the trigger! To clarify, did you run your power from the trunk? or did you add a fuse? Mine will arrive any day now and I want to get this stuff installed asap.

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I had to run the wire from the fuse box slot 14. Also I ran ground wire from the fuse box screw, however you can use the back of the trunk handle bracket for ground since cable for ground is really short. For my reverse light I used a wire from a trunk for reverse light as suggested by VW norm. I did not use electrical tape as was mention above by veedubtdi. I have used heat shrink connectors from pep boys to connect all the wires. Just ran my auto-scan and had error on navigation, radio, air bag and some minor things that I had to clear. I did not unplugged battery at the beginning so that is what caused all the issues I hope. Since clearing all the errors camera works great. Good luck to you, and let us know if you have any questions in process.

Turtherlips

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/ Nav
Just got mine working, took about 5 hours from beginning to the end (including putting tools away). Thank you guys for your help, and vw norm for providing information about wiring in the trunk. :)
For those who have installed the bold-sport camera, are you still able to open the trunk with the handle? The new handle with the camera doesn't appear to have the release button built in the way that the current one does.

usarmy132

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I got my camera from jettsy at vortex, part# 5N0-827-566-J. That camera has release button build in on one side and camera on the other.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
same here, but I haven't installed it yet. The camera has the handle (just a bit smaller) and micro switch it looks like the same connector for the micro switch just the added wires for the back up camera.

Turtherlips

TDI
same here, but I haven't installed it yet. The camera has the handle (just a bit smaller) and micro switch it looks like the same connector for the micro switch just the added wires for the back up camera.
Someone from vortex confirmed that it comes with the switch on it. Good thing, since I already ordered it! You haven't installed yours yet? Drive down to my neck of the woods and we'll do them both at the same time.

TDIMikeMN

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Black on Black with spoiler
so.. which one is the correct one to order that includes the swtich/handle so you can access the trunk from the outside w/o the remote.. The one from bold sport or the one from Vortex? Thks

Turtherlips

TDI
so.. which one is the correct one to order that includes the swtich/handle so you can access the trunk from the outside w/o the remote.. The one from bold sport or the one from Vortex? Thks
It sounds like both have the feature.