New clutch noises

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
OK I've got an interesting one for y'all. Yesterday I helped two friends of mine finish doing clutch jobs on their cars. One is a 2002 golf, the other a 2002 Jetta sedan. Both cars got new solid flywheel conversions and SB2 dailys. Both got new pivot balls and retainer clips, but just the Jetta got a new throw out fork.

Here's where it gets fun. Both cars, you press the clutch, right before it hits the floor, we hear a pinging noise, like maybe the fork is hitting the pressure plate.
Now I get that the golf might do it because we reused the fork, but the jetta too? It got all new hardware! So I'm a bit stumped. Not really wanting to pull the transmissions again, but I can if needed.

Oh, also thoguth you'd get a kick out of this. This was a stock dmf pressure plate after 125k miles on the golf. Dmf is still in excellent shape ironically...

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Replace the fork while it is still easy to do.
I get that, but again, why do both cars do it when one got a new fork? It's literally the same noise under same events.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well, as a followup in case anyone has a similar issue, apparently the factory release fork isn't compatible with the SB stage 2 daily pressure plate, and was striking the rivers. New fork in and problem solved on the golf. Now time to figure out what's up with the jetta.