2012 Jetta shifting problem.

Jetta12

TDI
2012 Jetta
I have a 2012 Jetta 6 speed manual I just picked up ... runs and drives great. I noticed going down the road in 6th gear going 70 is 2800 RPM. Then realized on the dash it says I was in 4th. the 1st is 1st gear. Second is second. 3third is 4th. And 4th is 6th according to the indicator. But when I go through all 6 gears it seems to be going through all of them.... so what should the RPMs be going down the road on a Tdi 6spd going 70mph. What causes the shifting to be all out of whack. Also the shifter seems pretty sloppy. Thanks in advance.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
If you're hitting 4th when trying to shift from 5th to 6th, there would be a noticeable increase in rpm's, especially if you're accelerating hard. I'm guessing when this happens you're cruising at an easy pace while shifting through the gears?

I'm not a mechanic, but with 2800 rpm @ 70 mph I'm pretty confident in saying there's no chance it was ever in 6th gear. Sloppy linkage probably not allowing 6th to line up and you're hitting 4th, instead.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
What is the status of your car? Has it be rebuilt or anything? An improper trans swap would also account for this. Putting a gasser trans in a tdi for example.