How to remove turbo

Scott61985

TDI
Golf mk5 tdi
Can anybody help how the fook you remove the turbo. I've removed all the pipes the driveshaft iam stuck with v clamp on the turbo also the stupid nuts I can't get to on the manifold. Car is mk5 golf TDI 2006

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Remove the v clamp bolt all the way out and crack the clamp open. You'll have to remove somehow the nuts, I assume that you are talking about the nuts on the top side of the manifold. Those are a pain to remove. Am I seeing right towards the left mid-bottom of the picture: there is a big bolt holding the turbo connected to the engine block?

06Jetta-Lane

TDI
'14 Passat TDI
Getting the band clamp off where the turbo outlet connects to the downpipe isn't too bad. I found the long allen bolt much easier to loosen from under the car. You'll need the correct allen bit socket, a ratchet, around 2 feet of extensions, and patience. Once you get the long allen head bolt loosened up a bit, I sprayed a penetrant oil around the flange and pried and pulled in different directions to get the clamp to break loose. Hope this helps

Scott61985

TDI
Golf mk5 tdi
Sorted that out took some getting off now the best bit trying to get the 8 nuts of the manifold how the hell you went to get a spanner in that gap. Also trying to take the egr pipe off from under neath one Allen bolt is easy but the other the turbo manifold is in way thought Volkswagens was easy to work on.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
The EGR valve is easy to remove and makes it easier to access the exhaust manifold nuts.

Scott61985

TDI
Golf mk5 tdi
You can't remove one Allen bolt from underneath becuse the manifold is in way IL show you a picture later

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
there exists allen wrenches with rounded ends that allow you to access the bolts from an angle. Assume it can be done, then figure out how it can be done, as it can be done. The exhaust pipe needs to be dropped out of the way to access manifold bolts correctly. Dropping it out of the way is relatively simple.

Last edited:

Scott61985

TDI
Golf mk5 tdi
Right it's all turbo is off to be fixed. What will I need to replace when I get my new one.

Last edited:

relumalutan

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Definitely the exhaust manifold gasket, the nuts, the oil return gasket and the turbo clamp.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
Contact Franko6 for expert assistance and appropriate parts. I have found his advice and assistance to be invaluable.

Scott61985

TDI
Golf mk5 tdi
Got the new turbo on but next headache is the metal oil feed pipe trying to connect it from under the car is a night mare eaither can't find the hole or it just wont bend enough to get in. Also I've snapped a sensor and I don't know what it is any help. It's near the oil filter housing

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
I think you have to remove the tandem pump to be able to get the oil line to the turbo installed correctly.

Scott61985

TDI
Golf mk5 tdi
Corteco Sump Gasket*(White Silicone Sealing Paste) will this seal the sump back up

Scott61985

TDI
Golf mk5 tdi
Got it all done finally but for some reason it's not sounding like it use to do it use to make the coo coo noise even in low revs now it's nearly top end revs. There's no boost leaks checked it all. That was one of the things I liked.