Grinding when shifting into 1st gear.

Sublime69

TDI
98 Beetle
98 Beetle, 96K miles. It is grinding when shifting into 1st gear. If i put it in gear slowly it wont grind. Grinds worse the faster you but it into gear. From what i have searched on here it could be synchros, clutch adjustment, clutch bleeding or trans fluid change.

What do you guys think? I wouldnt think the synchros would be bad after 96K miles but i did just buy it and who knows how it was driven.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Do a fluid change first..... Then adjust the cable ends.... If that does not work its the synchros..... They are brass..... and its a 15 year old car too.. do the easy stuff first..

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Do you get the same in reverse?

Misadjusted cable ends might leave the gear partially engaged, but not likely to cause a grind.

A clutch not fully releasing would make it hard to put into gear, and can wear the synchro cone prematurely. Make sure that the clutch is fully releasing, and if so, your 1st gear synchro is worn to the point of needing replacement.

As a stop-gap, shift the car into 2nd and then first to stop the input shaft from rotating which causes the grind. Or just wait three seconds with the clutch depressed before shifting into first.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Probably not linkage adjustment, fluid or worn syncros.

With the clutch out, the engine running, the car not moving and the tranny in neutral, push in the clutch and select first it should go in gear without grinding. If it grinds, your clutch is not releasing.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
This also occurs when people continuously jam them into first gear while still moving.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
On the '98, I'd be checking for tooefed linkage bits. Those have awful gearshifters. Upgrading to the 2000+ setup is a wise investment.

Specifically check the lever where it attaches to the splined shaft coming up out the top of the gearbox. They can get loose and wobbly.

nvhguy

TDI
2001 Golf TDI
I had the same problem sometimes on my 01 Golf TDI. Car was completely stop and still sometimes it grind when shifting into 1st gear. I changed the trans fluid to Redline MT90 and there's no more grind ever since.