P0299 Low Boost limp mode no turbo

jbleu101

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDi, GLS
I've searched on here and read several threads about this issue. I want to preface saying I've had this happen before where when you got to pretty high RPM's like passing on a two lane road and it would go in to LIMP mode pretty much every time, and you could feel it. For older TDI owners, it felt a little like pulling a muscle when doing a pretty normal or easy task....where you get that TWANG feeling and immediate use is hindered, but it still works. I could turn off the key and turn it back on to fix, then keep the RPM's below that 3K threshold, maybe.
PRESENTLY - Car has almost no boost most of the time. It maxes at maybe 1.7 to 2 according to scan gauge. It is almost unnoticeable when it loses its boost now until you try to accelerate again. I can hear the turbo spool up, but it just won't do anything, so I feel like that is a good sign. If the actuator for the turbo is near the top of the motor and a little bar similar to a carb throttle lever, then it seems to move freely. I read the N75 should be tested....I have the other one that is to the left of the N75 from a parts car, I was thinking about plugging in....are they the same (the grey top one vs the black top one). I replaced a few small vacuum lines, and also noticed there is a bend in one larger black rubber hose, just smaller than a garden hose, and clearly it is been replaced, as it has worm clamps on it....it seems to have a restriction at the bend, like mildly kinked. Thought I might replace that. I cleaned the snow screen of a LOT of debris, and also did the air filter. I checked the line that connects under the air filter and it seemed to be fine. I replaced a few short vacuum lines with McMaster Carr stuff I had from my previous vac line swap. Still have not found the problem. Maybe need to try a MAF test, but wanted to run the symptoms by this group to see if there is any insight based on my particular case. By the way, when I say I hear the turbo spool up, I mean, even if there is no boost, I can hear it, so that seems like a good thing. It's a VNT17 with Rocketchip RC3, and also has one EGR mod....I can't remember what it's called, the one that makes it so the intake wont get clogged. Other than that I cannot remember what is done to the car that could affect this...it has T4 nozzles that have probably 150K on them without cleaning or pop test.

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
You said nothing about checking the but hoses, I would start there. Especially the small sections at the intercooler. Hearing it spool without boost is why I say look at that.
If the actuator moves freely, maybe that's the issue. It should only move freely with the vacuum applied.
And absolutely read the link

Sent from my Armor_2 using Tapatalk

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
If the actuator for the turbo is near the top of the motor and a little bar similar to a carb throttle lever, then it seems to move freely.
The actuator is on the turbo, under the manifolds.
It sounds to me like you are describing the ASV where the boost air goes into the EGR valve & intake manifold.

The arm you see on the top should have spring pressure returning it to open.

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
every so often my 99 does the same thing. ill be driving along and punch it to pass and it bogs for a second then no power. hit the key and its fine again. dont knwo what causes it but no CEL and i usually dont have my VAGCOM with me. im in for info.

jbleu101

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDi, GLS
Wonneber, you’re correct t. It was the spring activated thing. I’m going to read the link posted above and see where I end up.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Check to see if the actuator holds a vacuum using a mitivac.