Custom Sunshades

DieselDuberrr

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta
I have kids, and with summer coming they always suffer with the sun when theyre in the back seat of my car. I dont want tinted windows, and i already have the rear GLX roller blind installed.

I am looking for some info on some custom shades that will actually fit my side rear windows. So far I found blindsforcars.com but holy!! they arent cheap.

I will likely just pick up a set as they appear to be well made at least. Anyone on here have a lead for something cheaper? of anyone made their own and like to share some ideas??

Other than that, I just found out that some BMW cars come with a roller blind in the side rear doors. I think this is amazing, and super trick. looks like they sit in the door card, and similar to the rear glx blind.

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
You know what I've decided to do; may be stupid to some.... but I went to Walmart. Bought 5% cling on tint. Somewhat decently installed it on the 2012 passat rear and corner rear side windows. Because my main concern was covered. Functional operation for my 4 yr old not being blasted by sun light... when my daughter tells me she likes that car best because she's not getting sun blasted; it means I did pretty good. For 13 bucks or so and some patience it seemed like a fair trade.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

DieselDuberrr

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta
You know what I've decided to do; may be stupid to some.... but I went to Walmart. Bought 5% cling on tint. Somewhat decently installed it on the 2012 passat rear and corner rear side windows. Because my main concern was covered. Functional operation for my 4 yr old not being blasted by sun light... when my daughter tells me she likes that car best because she's not getting sun blasted; it means I did pretty good. For 13 bucks or so and some patience it seemed like a fair trade.

I was actually just looking at tint myself. but then im thinking, and should have mentioned, they love having the windows open lol. the shades might be my only option.

shame the mk4 is so old now, not a lot of people making things like this for them

hitman1985

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI ALH
I was actually just looking at tint myself. but then im thinking, and should have mentioned, they love having the windows open lol. the shades might be my only option.

shame the mk4 is so old now, not a lot of people making things like this for them
I'd honestly just stick to permanent tint; just do a lighter shade. Anything else may walk into the window regulator or damage the function of it. In my mk4 I went with the perforated style that is mentioned above this post; but I did a roll up thing like a couple bucks at some sort of bulk rebuy place here I think bargain hunt or whatever it's called. My daughter loves the pandas on it lol. But on a permanent side I'll be tinting the rest of my cars soon. Just working on other projects. I'll be going light tint films in front sides and legal limits on rear windshields and rear sides. I need my 2 fronts lighter to be safe at night since no one here can drive I have to drive with their errors in mind ;p

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Cheapest option will likely be the tint from walmart that you can peel and re-stick again or those shade socks. It's easy enough but doing it over and over is going to drive you nuts. The best option is likely good quality ceramic tint that's not too dark, but it might be a problem with local gov't. I'm in NY and it's part of our inspection now, so having it can be a problem.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
What about making your own shade with suction cup hooky things and mesh sun shade material from an outdoor living store? Cheap, removable and you could cut it to your window shape

Last edited:

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I bought the OEM sunshades for my Mk7 GSW (and wife's Audi A3) from European ebay (either UK or German), and yes - not cheap, but totally worth the cost. I know they'll last as long as the car, they're quick and easy to remove if I want, and still allow the windows to open/close to let air through if/when we want - even driving (up to 100km/h, I think is the stated limit).