ALH injection timing question

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
So the way I understand it, high cetane fuels like GTL and HVO will advance injection timing compared to standard diesel #2 because combustion begins earlier during compression.

If you are using a high cetane fuel with 60-70 CN do you need to compensate for this to get an ideal spot when setting the injection timing in an ALH?

If so, how much does it need to be retarded? Is there a formula or standard for this?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Idunno either.

Maybe the new engines with all the electrickery can adjust timing to suit the fuel.

I don't fink the controlers on VE engines are that smart. I thought timing curves are programmed.

How much difference does cetane rating really make?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Idunno either.

Maybe the new engines with all the electrickery can adjust timing to suit the fuel.

I don't fink the controlers on VE engines are that smart. I thought timing curves are programmed.

How much difference does cetane rating really make?
It would depend on high it is. I think 100 is maximum value. Higher cetane number = shorter delay and earlier peak cylinder pressure.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Interesting, I had no idea there was such a thing. Is it more expensive than a regular diesel? Also, I would assume it can't be used in newer diesel engines that recommend no more than 5% biodiesel, right?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting, I had no idea there was such a thing. Is it more expensive than a regular diesel? Also, I would assume it can't be used in newer diesel engines that recommend no more than 5% biodiesel, right?

HVO is AKA Renewable Diesel. It’s sold by a number of stations. It’s marketed as Propel HPR and is mostly known under that name.

It’s > 98% renewable diesel and completely different than Biodiesel. It’s meets all ASTM minimum specs for Diesel #2. It’s cheaper than D #2 because it’s subsidized by the state of CA as an alternative fuel.

mjez

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Where I live I have to drive an hour just to get B20.
Here in suburbs of Chicago everything is biodiesel except for Meijer and Sam's Club stores. It really sucks if you have a newer diesel since you're not suppose to put biodiesel in those.