www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW B5 Passat TDIs

VW B5 Passat TDIs This is a general discussion about B5 Passat(>98 (2004-2005 in North America)). Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 12th, 2019, 11:54   #31
whizznbyu
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 Variant
Fuel Economy: 44 mpg @ 70 MPH. 46 mpg @ 55 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
Customer upgraded to a bigger one
What does a bigger turbo do for a B5 if that is all you do? Improve boost? Any change in turbo lag? Better economy? Some threads have shown owners putting in bigger injectors with chipping and bigger turbos, bigger intercooler. Slippery slope here.
whizznbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 12:24   #32
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

It isn't all you do. Software changes get made to make use of it.
Old June 12th, 2019, 12:41   #33
imo000
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Good enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB129 View Post
I think you misunderstood/I wasn't clear, when I say pinched, what i mean is that the pinch caused two 1" gashes in the charge pipe, IM a motocross guy and tubes "pinch" often enough...... not that it was "kinked" and yeah I only put a tiny bit of air through it, like 40 psi through an air nozzle at 12" away, I also pre oiled it before installing, as I didn't want a dry start of course.
I imagine it was the two large holes in my charge pipe that eventually cost me the turbo no? I don't think i've ran her low on oil...one time near the end of an oil change interval it was pretty low on the dipstick tho, need to watch that for sure.....tubro is in but after two weeks she did NOT want to start, looks like ill be doing that fuel prime whatever its called gasket soon...no leaks to the ground from it yet..THANKS AGAIN GUYS!
Charge pipe = pipe after the turbo and before the engine. If you had a leak here, how would this cause the turbo to fail?
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 13:30   #34
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imo000 View Post
Charge pipe = pipe after the turbo and before the engine. If you had a leak here, how would this cause the turbo to fail?
In theory over spool. The idea is a full charged charge pipe creates enough drag there it keeps the turbo from spinning too fast.

Back in my honda tuner car days guys would slap on their turbo and run them to the tuner without a charge pipe. I've heard more than one tuner insist this not be done for fear of ruining a turbo

Last edited by PickleRick; June 12th, 2019 at 13:32.
PickleRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 13:35   #35
oilhammer

Except the TDI is smarter... as soon as it detects a loss of boost, it stops trying, and goes into limp mode.
Old June 12th, 2019, 13:37   #36
BBB129
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 45 mpg, often pull a light trailer best tank 52 worst tank low 30's Towing

Ahhhh, I see, I simply do not know what im talking about haha, I assumed it was sucking in through the turbo but that wouldn't make sense, it'd be pushing, so starving for oil must have done the work. should I be worried about my cam, My first oil change on the car was the one I didn't pay attention to as far as oil consumption.....thanks for edumicating me
BBB129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 13:40   #37
BBB129
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Average 45 mpg, often pull a light trailer best tank 52 worst tank low 30's Towing

Quote:
Except the TDI is smarter... as soon as it detects a loss of boost, it stops trying, and goes into limp mode.
but only if its completely detached and not with a couple holes in the pipe i suppose? I know so little haha
BBB129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2019, 19:41   #38
QuickTD
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB129 View Post
but only if its completely detached and not with a couple holes in the pipe i suppose? I know so little haha
"Limp mode" will protect the turbo but running the compressor into free air will protect it even more. The more air a centrifugal compressor moves, the more power it requires. Running into an open pipe or a severe leak will slow the compressor much more than running into the engine.

A good practical example of this is a vacuum cleaner. Choke the inlet and it revs out, you are reducing airflow which reduces the load on the motor.
QuickTD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2019, 05:19   #39
whizznbyu
Veteran Member

Quote:
Customer upgraded to a bigger one, this one had about 120k miles on it and was working OK when I took it off.
What does a bigger turbo do for overall performance/fuel economy. Is it a plug and play deal or do the injectors, intercooler, etc, and chip need to be modified?
Old June 13th, 2019, 05:27   #40
oilhammer

Quote:
It isn't all you do. Software changes get made to make use of it.

^^^this^^^

I personally would not bother with it, because the BHW with a simple modest software change makes plenty more power for me, even stock is actually pretty good. And, like the ALH, the BHW got a Garrett turbocharger from the factory already, so they are pretty durable to begin with.

But if you want more than that, and some people do, then a larger turbo will allow more airflow. The stock injectors already have a reasonable amount of surplus fueling capabilities.

I am not really sure I understand the nature of your repeated question. Certainly someone who has been a member of the TDI club since 2006 has gained some knowledge of power mods and turbochargers? Pretty common knowledge here. The stock turbochargers on ALL the TDIs are pretty tiny.

Last edited by oilhammer; June 13th, 2019 at 05:32.
oilhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 10:16   #41
whizznbyu
Veteran Member

Quote:
^^^this^^^

I am not really sure I understand the nature of your repeated question.
I do not recall asking this question, and if I did I do not remember what the answer was. Sorry.
Old June 17th, 2019, 13:45   #42
oilhammer

Post #31 and post #39 is what I was referring to. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse anything.
Old June 19th, 2019, 16:00   #43
whizznbyu
Veteran Member

sorry about that. I was trying to get an answer along the lines of what things are done to make use of a bigger turbo. Intercoolers, what remapping needs to be done, what size injectors etc. And, if any of the modifications can allow the driver to maintain great fuel economy but have available power on demand.
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:39   #44
zzdiesel
Veteran Member

My FNH conversion and stage two tune gives me all the power I need or want and does 42 MPG on highway regularly.
zzdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 14:06   #45
PickleRick
Veteran Member

Even on my stage 2 tuned BHW mated to a DVZ i get approximately 41 to 43 mph. I set cruise on 3000 rpms which is approx 75 mph.