Cel?

Dasilzar

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
So I bought my first tdi a couple days back, its an 05 Passat, after a day or 2 of driving (about 150 miles) the CEL came on, i had it checked by Autozone and it gave the codes p2102 and p2108. I borrowed a scanner from a friend and tried to clear the codes to make sure the codes weren't thrown due to some hiccup. I drove about 15 miles and the CEL popped back on, same codes as before. I drove it about 100 miles with the CEL on and then this afternoon when driving home from work I noticed that the CEL had turned itself off.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me? I still have an appointment to take it in on Thursday.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Those are from a generic OBD2 scan tool, so may not be the whole story, but I suspect the intake regulating flap (throttle body) is bad.

Somewhat common, not a huge deal to replace.

Dasilzar

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Any idea why the CEL would just disappear like it did? Seems kinda odd considering I tried clearing it.

oilhammer

TDI
Because the ECU told the Cluster the MIL request was no longer needed because you have an intermittent problem.

Dasilzar

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Ahh okay, should I still take it into the shop and have it check out or is it a something easy enough to do myself?

oilhammer

TDI
I have no idea what your skill set is. I work on cars every day, and I think everything on that car is easy.

The throttle valve is not that hard, just three XZN screws and a plug. Have to get the charge air tube assembly out of the way first.

Dasilzar

TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Okay, well thank you for your help, ill take a look at it myself and make the decision. I really appreciate it, I just bought this car and was alarmed when it gave me those codes.