www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 17th, 2018, 06:20   #16
Franko6

Wild Child,

The reason we started getting involved with the Dayco timing belt is because we found the PTFE teflon lined interior of that belt ran cooler and therefore, longer. We believe our 100k/ 5 year expectation for that belt is appropriate. I do not think the Continental belt can be trusted for that mileage.

Tailor,

Answers to your questions, in order:

1. What does one look for in a worn cam:
When the valve cover is removed, it's really simple. Feel the edges of the exhaust lobe tips. If they are sharp, you have a minimum of .015" wear. .006" is the wear limit. So, that means the cam is worn out. The exhaust cam lobes are the two ends; #1 and #8, then #3 and #6. The opening pressure on the exhaust is very high and those are the cam/ cam followers which wear out.
2. I feel like I'm driving a 'bomb' around...
In truth, our #1 reason for the thousands of cylinder head rebuilds we have done is due to a timing belt failure. It doesn't have to be a snapped belt, as a big roller blowing it's ball bearings out, or a seized water pump will do just as well. The timing belt interval on the BEW with an automatic trans is supposed to be 60k and with a manual, 80k. I'm still not sure why the autos are downgraded, but that's the numbers.
3. As for that non cheap fix, is that part of what you're referring to below about renting out tools and information?
We have people who looked at the belt that comes off and say,"That looks perfectly good!" And I agree. That is how they should look... still good. It beats the ones that are torn to shreds and I'm doing 16hrs of labor and an extra $650+ cylinder head work... There is a built-in safety factor that VW allows in the timing belt change-out, but you are totally abusing it. We invite a phone call and we can get this set up, if you like.
4. If I could get another 100k.... I'd make it my son's problem.
Not only do we think you can get another 100k, but we honestly think that the BEW engine is a most remarkably well designed platform. They stay together well. They do require maintenance. You probably can get 500k out of them, and only do reasonable service at proper intervals, with proper lubrication. We not only believe that, we have done it.
5. I have heard mention of kits that have all parts needed, is that something you sell?
Just about every day, for years and years. We are proud of our reputation for getting it right the first time.

'Do it Once and Do It Right.'
'Build It Like You're Gonna Buy It'

Feel free to call or email me.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta

Last edited by Franko6; September 17th, 2018 at 06:23.
Franko6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 06:41   #17
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Thanks Frank, I'm at 50k on a continental belt, guess the dayco gets the nod soon

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 08:42   #18
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

I'm at 40k on a continental belt, definitely something to think about.
Tdijarhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2018, 06:37   #19
Franko6

We call our timing belt kit 'STANDARD'. Dayco timing belt, Hepu water pump, Conti Serpentine belt. Litens Timing belt tensioner, INA idler rollers, Elring PTFE cam seal (not the cheap spring type), vacuum pump seal, OEM bolt kit, 1.5L G13 antifreeze. NO missing parts, nothing you don't need, everything you do. It's the kit I install on my car...and we also rent timing belt tools.

I created a very cool front crank seal replacement kit we also loan. If you have black oil around the crankshaft sprocket, there is no better time to replace the front seal than a timing belt change interval. Unlike the 'official' crank yank (20 lbs and 3 ft long), we have a very well thought out and compact tool to counterhold the crank. It takes 300+ ft lbs to take it off and reinstall. So it does require a 3/4' breaker bar. I'm no little guy and I use a 4 ft. cheater bar. The seal removal and install tool kit is not needed at every timing belt job, but sure handy when you do need it.

We may not have a website, being a 'Ma and Pop Shop', but we know what we are doing. We have sold thousands of kits with no issues. We are not trying to compete with your 'Big Box' Vendors, who will sell you everything and anything.

Normally, we are selling 'assemblies' and major repairs. Cylinder heads, engine blocks, performance parts, like our Molnar H-beam rods or our performance piston rings.
However, we have a good inventory and provide a lot of 'drop ship' parts with low or no shipping fees. Call, email or PM for emailed estimates.
417-232-4634
FranksTDIs@sbcglobal.net

'02 80k grey leather, 99.5 R.I.P 153k
'85A2 NA 375k, '91 A3 290k Always Silver, Always a Jetta
Franko6 is online now   Reply With Quote