www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 14th, 2018, 10:10   #16
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHOTOGUY1000 View Post
....................... She says the car has become hard to shift has to use a lot of strength to push it in gear.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not thinkin fluid. Some of these cars are roadable with practically empty units. Different fluids do make shifting different, but not read of "lot of strength" for just one gear.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:25   #17
WildChild80
Veteran Member

I'd put money on needing a first gear getter

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:53   #18
rallywagon
Veteran Member

Synchromesh is good stuff at a good price, but I think it is quite a bit thinner than the spec for that transmission. This is what I would use:
MOTORCRAFT XTM5QS Rock Auto usually has a great price on this good stuff.
rallywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 16:29   #19
KrashDH
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild80 View Post
There have been mixed reviews on syncromesh but good luck

Have there been?

After my OEM fluid was broken down (when I drained it came out the consistency of water) I started getting hard shifting from 1st to 2nd, and a bit from second to 3rd. I really had to slow down my shifting and ensure I found the sweet spot of the gear to get it in without grinding.

When I refilled with Pennzoil synchromesh, completely solved the shifting issue. Must have been 3 years ago now, it's probably due for another swap but haven't had any signs of it breaking down.

The GM/ACDelco synchromesh is supposed to be even better, I may try that the next go around.
KrashDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 17:27   #20
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Maybe I'll try the GM stuff in the modified car that feels like the trans is barely hanging on...

I know most Honda guys love it

WildChild80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 17:16   #21
PHOTOGUY1000
Veteran Member

Changed the fluid & put the super slider on. Shift with ease while not running but as so as you get going its harder to get in gear. Seems to shift better easier at 2K than 3K. I will put a clutch in it but I don't want to do it if its not going to fix the problem?
PHOTOGUY1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 17:24   #22
GCBUG00
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Beetle

Engine running, select 1st gear.

Slowly bring clutch pedal up.

How far does the clutch pedal come up before the engine starts to move the car?

Pedal reserve travel, maybe 1 1/2" before engine starts to move car, good. Right off of the floor? Not good. 1st suspect air in hydro's.

Any history on clutch age?

If old, years old, or not correctly detailed at replacement they can build up rust dust crud on splines that does not allow free sliding of disc on input shaft messes up shifting big time.

Gary
GCBUG00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 18:01   #23
PHOTOGUY1000
Veteran Member

Gary...

I just had the system bled new fluid put in so Cant believe any air is in there at this point. The age of the clutch not sure... I picked up the car for my daughter at 198K now has 220K on it. Bought it off a little dealer so not much background info. All the gears have there moments shifts perfect when the car is not running... seems to shift better at lower rpms 2k verses my normal shift point at 3k. Truthfully my jetta is pretty darn notchy not much different than this car is now but my daughter wants it back to the way it was... I hardly noticed it until she really pointed it out to me because I am so use to driving my jetta anyway.
Old September 17th, 2018, 19:40   #24
Dro.Pru

I haven't dealt with this in a diesel yet, but on my brother's mk5 golf (gas). I had borrowed it on a roadtrip to NC to visit a friend and on the way back all of a sudden I couldn't get it into any gear. I called AAA and the tow truck driver and I bled the clutch together. That was a bandaid fix that held me together till i got home and for about another month. Then finally it really went. Turns out the clutch was worn through to almost threads AND the SLAVE cylinder was in shambles. (I can post pictures if you want me to)
Quote:
Gary...
I just had the system bled new fluid put in so Cant believe any air is in there at this point. The age of the clutch not sure... I picked up the car for my daughter at 198K now has 220K on it. Bought it off a little dealer so not much background info.
If what you did so far doesn't do the trick, I would take the slave cylinder out and inspect it. It should be external, and if it's like the jetta tdi or golf's layout, you might need to take out the battery housing or air filter housing for better access.
Then think about a new clutch. I try to work cheapest/easiest to most expensive/time consuming when diagnosing problems.
In my case the new clutch/flywheel and slave cylinder did the trick.
Quote:
All the gears have there moments shifts perfect when the car is not running... seems to shift better at lower rpms 2k verses my normal shift point at 3k. Truthfully my jetta is pretty darn notchy not much different than this car is now but my daughter wants it back to the way it was... I hardly noticed it until she really pointed it out to me because I am so use to driving my jetta anyway.
I can understand that too. We get used to how things are/were. Again in my case, the old clutch was grabbing very late on the clutch pedal. (as in higher up on the swing). I was accustomed to this because every manual VW i've driven was like this (all used and roughly 10 years old). After the clutch slave was bled however, it was engaging really close to the floor. So much so that I stalled several times at first because my left foot was rushing to just about where it used to engage (muscle memory). Once the clutch was replaced it remained down low... Took a about 100 miles to get used to.
Dro.Pru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2018, 23:20   #25
PHOTOGUY1000
Veteran Member

Took the beetle out tonight about 70 miles round trip. On the way down shifting was fighting me but few hours later on way back it was quite a bit better. When I left it was about 95 out coming back more like 78 so I wonder if temp had any affect or if new fluid is starting to help a bit?