www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 10th, 2018, 12:46   #1
RayGatz

Fuel Economy: 46 - 50 depending on if 'sweetie' or my self is driving :-)
Unhappy After 2 weeks w/ Front elevated for clutch Job Runs Badly- No Power

I had Both TDI's down recently and This one sat for about 2 weeks as i did a T-belt job on our other TDI due to someone not RTV sealing the water pump upon installation. It blew the o-ring... Anyway, it was awhile .before i could get to it to replace clutch on this one...

It was running great when clutch failed... I had the front elevated with just less than half a tank of fuel for about 2 weeks... Got the clutch in and upon test drive it is acting "as if" I had just replaced the fuel filter and diddnt completely get all the air out.... White Smoke last time I drove it a 5 mile trip...

VAG is showing NO codes except the Glow Plug issue which has been an ongoing Non issue here in FL... Its sluggish and eventually comes up to speed but something is wrong...

Any suggestions as to what would suddenly change from sitting for several weeks?

Thanks.... Ray

Last edited by RayGatz; September 10th, 2018 at 12:51. Reason: Additional Info....
RayGatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 13:47   #2
WildChild80
Veteran Member

I've never put RTV on any of the water pumps, Honda or VW and never had a problem

Pull fuel out at the filter and see if you have water in your fuel

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
WildChild80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 13:51   #3
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

Obvious thing might be a small air leak to fuel system in which case it would be back to normal next time you drive it.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2018, 13:54   #4
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Or just do a good reprime of the system but I've always had them fix it's self when it started, I'm intrigued on what's causing this one

Old September 10th, 2018, 16:12   #5
RayGatz

Default RTV on water pump O-ring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild80 View Post
I've never put RTV on any of the water pumps, Honda or VW and never had a problem

Pull fuel out at the filter and see if you have water in your fuel

This Water Pump/ Timing Belt Job confirmed my mechanic-neighbor's rant "O-rings will wear, shrink, deteriorate and leak if you don't RTV (Black) them!"

I'm no Pro mechanic but It was only a 60K mile aged water pump and it was clearly blowing past an obviously deteriorated section of the o-ring... It was a mysterious leak at first where after a few months the over flow tank would hit the low mark and signal on the dash...

My wife just did a trip with it from mid Fl. here to Northern Michigan and back a month ago... I recently decided to drive it to band practice 18 miles away on a Wednesday evening and as i pulled into the parking lot the Low water Light came on as it was blowing steam from under the hood... I looked at the route where i drove into the parking lot and saw a trail of water/coolant....

I skipped band practice that night and took a gallon of fresh water to head home... Ended up stopping 4 times adding another gallon+ each time... Fortunately the second stop was a filling station where they had water on tap... It was leaking fast...

There was a dark area on the bottom of the water pump where it was leaking for awhile....... Thanking God my sweetie wasn't stranded on her trip with her sister with that mess... and she could have blown the head gasket if not caught the overheating it time....
Old September 10th, 2018, 16:24   #6
RayGatz

And Yes, Wildchild80... My next thought was to see if there is water in the fuel filter.... In the morning my first order of business will be that... :-)

And BobnOH... I was hoping the next drive would clear it up... Ive put about 20 miles on it (choking and chugging sometimes... and with White smoke then it would eventually gain speed but lacking her original spunk)
Old September 10th, 2018, 16:27   #7
WildChild80
Veteran Member

I guess I should buy stock in black RTV

Old September 10th, 2018, 16:29   #8
WildChild80
Veteran Member

What water pump did you put on it when you did the timing belt?

I only use hepu metal impellar water pumps, I don't have the time or patience for a failure

Last edited by WildChild80; September 10th, 2018 at 16:31.
Old September 10th, 2018, 17:20   #9
RayGatz

Default HEPU /metal impeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildChild80 View Post
What water pump did you put on it when you did the timing belt?

I only use hepu metal impellar water pumps, I don't have the time or patience for a failure

I agree... I got one in a 100K T-Belt kit that included the HEPU/metal impeller Pump.... The Pump that had the o-ring failure was installed at a dealer by previous owner and it had a Plastic impeller... Ovbiously an inferior part...
Old September 10th, 2018, 17:36   #10
WildChild80
Veteran Member

Assuming it was actually changed...I have trust issues with someone else working on my car, I only trust 2 or 3 people and I'm one of them LoL

Old September 11th, 2018, 10:23   #11
RayGatz

Non-eventful Update: Today I checked the fuel from the filter draincock and it came out clear-ish and water free (all the same color) Just to make sure it wasn't all water I added some water to the cup I collected the fuel into and saw a distinct difference proving it is all fuel....

So I figured it's about time anyway to change out the filter and did so... Including the O-rings on the "Tee" Got it all primed and it started without a hiccup.... I also checked the vacuum line to the turbo and the electric plug that was on the tranny... everything looked okay

Went for a test drive and Got the same Extremely Sluggish acceleration with lots of smoke... I went ahead and put another 20 miles on it to possibly get any possible bubbles out of the fuel system... It was soo sluggish I had to pull over and let a car pass cause it was taking soo long to rev up in the gears... It eventually will run up to the 65 MPH that I drive on our country hiway... gets up to Hi gear and smooths out ... as it maintains speed the smoke minimizes to almost nul...

I was thinking : Maybe Its Turbo failure??? (since I had to push the motor forward to get the tans/gearbox out.. But I double checked the turbo hoses in case one was jarred loose) BUT What else would suddenly cause Turbo failure ??

I Just dont know What else to do......
Old September 11th, 2018, 11:05   #12
BobnOH
not-a-mechanic

Fuel Economy: 50/45/35

See if the turbo actuator is working. First check, can you move it with your finger(s). 2nd test, does it move when you start the car. Then there is an adjustment, double nut on the rod. It wants to just start to move at 3.5 to 5.0 "/hg. The thing is connected to the turbo vanes, which control amount of boost. The actuator can be stuck or rusted through, the vanes can be frozen, sometimes freeing up just by hand operation.
Interweb guessing, there are other possibles.
BobnOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 12:35   #13
KrashDH
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGatz View Post
This Water Pump/ Timing Belt Job confirmed my mechanic-neighbor's rant "O-rings will wear, shrink, deteriorate and leak if you don't RTV (Black) them!"

I'm no Pro mechanic but It was only a 60K mile aged water pump and it was clearly blowing past an obviously deteriorated section of the o-ring... It was a mysterious leak at first where after a few months the over flow tank would hit the low mark and signal on the dash...
I've never RTV'd a water pump o-ring either, but was very frustrated that my last TB job (100k kit) only lasted 60k when the water pump o-ring started failing. This was a waterpump from an IDparts kit so it wasn't a no-name vendor. It led to a premature TB job which is not fun if your 100k kit is fine except that damn o-ring, forcing the job. All the other parts felt fine, and the old WP spun nice in the bearing with no play. I had taken all the right measures to clean the interfacing surfaces as well, including the bore the o-ring seats on.

As far as the lack of power, it's time to start hooking up the mightyvac. I would start at the vac pump, hook directly to it, start the car, and see what your vac reads and how long it takes to get to that value.

If your pump isn't producing enough vac though, you'd be having braking issues as well (ie hard pedal). You can check the line going from the pump to the booster, it's prone to failure, but then again you'd be seeing brake issues.

The vac canister is a supply for your n75. You should pull vac on that and see if it holds. If it leaks, not good (along with checking with what Bob suggested on the turbo actuator.
KrashDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2018, 15:35   #14
RayGatz

Thanks KrashDH and BobnOH ... I was on that track this afternoon and found that the vacuum hose where it connects to the actuator at the Turbo was brittle and leaking vacuum... Things got a bit more complicated from there...

I pulled the hose Which is now a 3/16 heavy 2 layer hose (I replaced it about a year or so ago...) What led me to that was as I lay under the car I had raised up on ramps, looking up with a flashlight, I noticed a heavily chaffed spot on that hose where it was rubbing something...

Anyway I cut off an inch of the hose and pushed the fresh end onto the actuator/diaphragm nipple and carefully Pulled the other end off the N75... Pulled a suction with my mouth and observed the movement... and it appears to hold a vacuum well now...

Anyway I ended up cutting out an inch at the chaffed spot and jerry rigged it with a short piece of metal tubing i had rummaged up... Then on a second thought I decided "Ill just replace the whole tube" so the second time while pulling it from the N75 to measure the whole hose I Created a NEW Problem as I BROKE the nipple off the N75 Valve!
So... Now I gotta replace that too...

I do have 2 Questions though Maybe You guys can Help me with ....

As I pulled the hose it looks like the Actuator nipple is about 1/16 of an inch diameter smaller than the N75 nipple... Which makes for a tight fit on the N75 and a "so so" snug fit on the actuator.... Should I rig a reducer so it fits Tight??

Second Question: I noticed a loose connection on the cam cover vent hose... so as i prepared to put a clamp on it I noticed that the nipple is loose and spins freely while it doesn't come out of the cam cover cap it has a tiny bit of free play... Is that supposed to be Air Tight ??
Old September 11th, 2018, 17:47   #15
WildChild80
Veteran Member

If it makes you feel better you can throw a tiny zip tie on the vacuum line

The only nipple that could be loose in the vicinity of the valve or cam cover is the vacuum pump

Are you talking about the black plastic piece? Or the hose that goes to the brake booster?