Why does it quit running?

lrfeusse

TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon
Help!!!! I have a 96 Passat TDI Wagon with 216k miles. It runs great most of the time except when it just quits running for no reason. If I set and wait for a few minutes it will start again. It rolls over, but won't srart. Sometimes it will just missfire for a second, but then keeps on going. Other times it just quits like someone has turned off the key. I thought it might be the key switch, so I changed it, no help. When it quits the tach and speedo go to zero even if still moving. I'm wondering if there is a bad relay or something. I'm sure its electrical, but what? Any ideas? Thanks, Larry.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I'm pretty sure they do have relay 109.

Larry- where are you in MI?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
He's someplace where he can't tell the difference between a B4 platform car (what he has) and a B5 platform (this forum). :p

I vote for the relay 109 going bad.

lrfeusse

TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon
Sorry about the B4 - B5 thing. I really don't know the difference. I work in Mt. Pleasant and live near Midland. I will look in to the relay 109 thing. Thanks for the replies. Larry