www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:03   #31
AndyH

Default Who has mega miles on a TDI

'97 Passat variant with 313,000 miles.
Throwout bearing's a little noisy, as is the alternator. It's had sensors and relays, brakes, struts, and axles, but the original engine and transmission are doing just fine.

My dad, retired from GM, just shook his head when I sold my '96 Passat TDI sedan with 150,000 miles on it to buy the Variant with nearly 300,000.
AndyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 20:15   #32
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48
Default Re: Who has mega miles on a TDI

Wow.. I guess my TDI is just broken in@ 143,000 miles!..

I have to defend some of the American cars a little bit here... I have an F150(I6 Gasser) with 430k miles.. I retired my old cavalier with 460k (TDI replaced this one), lost a 96 Silverado in a flood back in april with 274k(truck was mint).. Mom's 95 Tahoe has around 180k.. So far, EVERY vehicle I've owned so far has made it well past 250k without too many major problems other than stuff that's my own fault.. Regular maintenance makes a BIG difference.

Also, our vehicles usually get recycled from one family member to another, so they usually have an ungodly amout of miles when they're finally ready for the scrap yard.

My TDI still has a lot of miles to go to catch up to the rest of them... I have faith in my TDI though.. From what I've read here, I should be able to get at least 400k.. Looks like I'll have this car for a while
TDIJetta99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 04:51   #33
diesel_smoke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 42mpg, auto

My Jetta TDI has 158,000 miles and feel its just in the teen years-
diesel_smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 12:39   #34
Pevey
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46

Jetta99, I agree with you, some US cars like trucks and high end cars can rack up the miles. I really depends on how you value them and take care of them. We tend to look at US cars as disposable after 100-150k and treat them as such. A friend has 150k on a Focas and commutes daily 120 miles.
The thing that blows my mind is how good my 5 year old 150k jetta feels, how strong it pulls, how smooth the engine is even at idle, how straight it tracks on the road, how well the interior look and has held up, scratches but no rattles, how nice the paint is and how fun it is to own and drive it.

We didnt have computers back then but if we had, I don't think I would have spent this much time on a Vega or Omni forum.
Pevey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 18:31   #35
Leseid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50

I'd love to buy from Detroit if they made what I want/need. They don't so I go to Auburn Hills

I'm thrilled that we have two Golf TDI's (both '03s) and have a new one on order.
Leseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 19:48   #36
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:

We didnt have computers back then but if we had, I don't think I would have spent this much time on a Vega or Omni forum.
Ha! When I was a kid my Dad's electronic's repair business had a pair of Vega "nomad" wagons. Both of which had holes in their blocks inside of 18 months....GM's warranty then was 12 months .. I remember using them as a jungle-gym behind his shop! All the while him and his partner continued their mobile TV repair service in their trusty Volkswagens; a '65 Beetle and a '68 Squareback. Some hoosier ended up buying them and doing what hoosiers do best....put a Chevy small-block in it!
oilhammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 20:27   #37
tdisedanman
Veteran Member

Great pic of you and your daughter washing her "car", loved it. It was so cute and, she will remember that you have to take care of your car.
tdisedanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 00:49   #38
WEBDZL
Veteran Member

Location: Just off the N.W.Ramp of the allmost finished 101 Phx.AZ.Autobond
Fuel Economy: 50.85/46/38

This is alittle off the subject but real close,I was told that if you had a VW with 500,000 miles on it VW would send you a wall plaque or something? mith or fact?
WEBDZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 22:14   #39
elitdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50.4/46/43

04 Jetta with 42,430 miles so far. I'm hoping that this will become the first car I actually pay off and keep. I've had a car payment continuously since March of 1988. Always trading them with more miles than average, and always up-side-down in the financing. I'll post in 2009 if the Jetta makes it! I figure I'll have around 160,000 miles on it by then. Should be a piece of cake after reading this thread.
elitdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 05:49   #40
catmandoo
Veteran Member

my 2000 jetta just turned 262,000 last week,gets roughly 1000 a week.uses about a quart of oil every 7000,still has original clutch.
catmandoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 06:47   #41
Wook660
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48 mpg

1986 Ford Crown Victoria completely original with no rebuilds -> 230,000 miles, still running strong. Can't kill the 302 v8, which is gonna be a good doner for my 1994 Ford Ranger, 180,000 all original, still running strong. My 2002 Jetta TDI has only 70,000 miles, hope it proves as reliable, I'm a Ford guy, but these VW's are starting to grow on me.
Wook660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 07:10   #42
Cosmic Green
Veteran Member

99.5 Jetta, 462,000km (286,000mi.)
Original clutch, turbo, front end (except for struts and wheel bearings); chip installed at 280,000km., driven with "enthusiasm" every day, uses no oil between changes, starts in -30C temps., best car I've owned, period. Also my first VW, so I had no previous bias.
Had to change manual tranny recently (worn bearings), which was my fault as I never once changed the fluid in it.
The most commendable thing about the car isn't the longevity so far (I've driven many cars to high mileage), but the fact that after 6 1/2 years and all those miles the car stills feels solid and is rattle-free. That's what's different about this car!

CG
Cosmic Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 15:45   #43
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 33mpg

Quote:
my 2000 jetta just turned 262,000 last week,gets roughly 1000 a week.uses about a quart of oil every 7000,still has original clutch.
Off topic -- I lose about 1 quart of oil between 10,000 mile oil changes. Just about 2000 miles ago I installed a ProVent CCV filter, and it's catching more oil than I expected. That's a really good thing, because I now know the oil isn't bypassing the piston rings, I'm just losing it through the CCV and into the intake. My plan is to siphon the oil out of the CCV filter and put it back in the engine, then check how much the oil drops over the current 10k mile oil change. Any drop would then be oil lost due to bypassing rings and leaking elsewhere.
frugality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 17:11   #44
catmandoo
Veteran Member

when i bought mine the guy said it used about a quart every 2-3000 miles,after i got it and changed the t-belt i noticed a pool of oil inside the fitting on the intake that the ccv hose hooks to,and the j hose had a nice film of oil in it.so i made a ccv filter,and i have some oil in the bottom of it too and was thinking along the same lines,but i don't think i will be putting it back in the engine come oil change time i'll just measure it and see how much is there.since then my j hose has been dry as a bone so there is a lot of oil that works its way thru the system thru time.
catmandoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2005, 20:13   #45
CADTDi
Veteran Member

My 2001 Jetta has 169,000 miles and running strong!

DBW did my 1st TB, Oilhammer did my last...keeping it all in the 'family'!

So far, not much more than normal maintenance.

Man, I love this car!
CADTDi is offline   Reply With Quote