Thoughts on Trusted Mechanics, "Other VW shops", Suspension refresh, and Trust

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Thoughts on Trusted Mechanics, "Other VW shops", Suspension refresh, and Trust

After a good deal of thought, I've sort of decided to let somebody else do my suspension refresh. *sigh*

I don't have many of the tools, and I'd be a 1st-timer at it. Plus I just want it done (time constraints etc).

Thinking I don't necessarily need a Trusted Mechanic for suspension (or do I?), I thought I'd interview a couple shops and find some things out.
At a "Audi, Porsche , VW" indy shop I spoke with the service manager. Found out they don't allow customer-sourced parts. I do understand, but was disappointed as hell because I can get a sweet deal on VW-branded struts/shocks....
Another thing he said that struck me wrong was they don't replace LCA bearings. They just swap in a new LCA. That seems really weak to me and in a way is kind of screwing the customer. He said a Lemforder LCA would be ~$150.

So I'm thinking now, I need to take this to my Trusted Mechanic, even though he has his own silly ideas about everything (he's kind of a ricer, frankly, and will probably give me that "you don't know S*** look when I tell him I want OEM Sachs shocks...).

Kinda at loose ends on this, I know I could pull it off myself and save a lot of money, but would I do it right? Would I F up my back? Could I even run a press? I know I can't do an alignment so...
Any thoughts appreciated.
And now for a story from the "Audi, Porsche , VW" shop I was at today.
In behind me came a sturdy, attractive gal who was there to pick up her car. A black MK4 TDI Jetta turned out.
The service manager mentioned to her how yeah, they finally got the part from a junkyard. I was surprised they were willing to back a pull-it part, but not my VW struts. But what really bothered me was when he went out to show her under the hood and explain the rattling. I caught the word "bracket", and he said the noise isn't normal, but it's also "not hurting anything"....Maybe she's been going there for years, who knows. She obviously has taken care of the car this long but...damn. The rattling.
I guess I should just feel lucky I actually have a real TDI guy in my town. Even if he does want to "1-inch euroshock" my car. I can't even find that on the internet!

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
You have a couple of very good and knowledgeable TDI mechanics in Portland. I'd probably call them. That way, you can start to establish a relationship that will become valuable when you do need TDI-specific work.

No, you don't need a TDI mechanic to do competent suspension work but you should at least have it done by someone who knows Jettas...

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
Oldpoopie is booked 6 weeks out, and I'd rather not let my GF ride around like this for that long. I forgot to say the 230k mile 2001 is the one needing the work. The ride is really crap compared to my 118k mile '03.
I know if I take it to Rich, my best strategy will be to just tell him "go nuts - you decide everything, just don't lower it!"
I know it'll come back amazing...hmmm...maybe I just think I want OEM dampers....

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I did a suspension refress about a year and a half ago and went with the Koni FSDs and lifted a bit using VR6 front springs and Jetta Wagon rears. It's up higher now and I can get around where I couldn't before. The FSDs are very nice. I'm not a racer but drive a little spirited now and then. I think I did the TT LCA bushings and used higher density strut rubber...

Six weeks isn't terrible...Justin does great work.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
lifted a bit using VR6 front springs and Jetta Wagon rears. It's up higher now and I can get around where I couldn't before. .
A lifted Golf would be very fun up in the hills!

So I got a date with Fix 'Um Haus early next week! Psyched!

Rich probably won't let me choose my dampers, but at least he'll replace the LCA bushings instead of throwing away the whole LCA (FFS). And he acknowledges we want "comfort" vs sport. I think he's allergic to the word "stock", so I've learned not to use it around him lol Also, he said something about "oil-filled".... I just hope it's 100k mi. before I have to think about it again!
Anyway, I do feel really lucky having both Justin and Rich so close. By this time next year, I should have this baby lookin real close to showroom:)