Alternative Turbo oil return line for ALH and newer turbo

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
Recently purchased a GTD1756VRK from a EU distributor that is welded directly on to the OEM ALH exhaust manifold. It included an adaption that I don't trust in which the flexible braided oil line between the 2- hole gasket flange bolted on the turbo and the engine connection is replaced with a multi-layer silicone hose of the appropriate size, clamped on to the OEM connectors. From what I am reading silicone is not oil rated.

Does anyone know of appropriate adaptations using say AN connectors and braided s.s. oil line? Or, would the somewhat longer oil return line from a BHW engine work in this situation, i.e. it seems to have the same gasketed 2-hole flange and captured nut set up...
Apparently the OEM ALH oil return line is too short for this set up.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
silicone works fine, just sweats oil, same as charge air couplers
I used it for a few years before getting tired of the drips, been using parker push lock since, works fine with no sweating.

Pretty sure I'll be tapping the M18x1.5 out to 3/4" NPT on all my blocks as they're apart, only really get a 1/2" oil drain through that m18 thread. Tiny little drain hose means you get compressor and turbine seal ring blowby a little bit quicker. Guys been running into it on holsets for years, to the point of running restricted oil feed lines which is hugely stupid for turbo longevity.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
Hmmm I noticed as soon as I put my holset on that I had a big ole blue smoke puff after any time spent idling...

I just assumed the seals on my used turbo were junk and I would need to rebuild it eventually. I guess I’ll look at the oil return for restrictions first. Maybe it’s linked or something

Sorry for the highjack, silicone isn’t meant for oil but it will be ok until you get around to making something better.

I tried, unsuccessfully, to use those braided lines and AN fittings. After a couple wires stuck in my fingers I just grabbed some random (definitely not oil rated) hose and fittings and made it fit. I check on it every oil change though.

If you are better at those AN fittings and braided lines, that’s what I would do. That’s what will go on mine when I get around to trying it again... I’ll need better gloves. Hahaha

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Just an FYI, as the AN fittings always seem to leak at the 37-degree sealing cones...there are soft AL or CU bits made that allow the joint to seal up quite well.
cheers,
Douglas

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
I ended up getting a longer oil return line from a BHW engine and I think that will do the trick. Just have to get into the change over and see.

FRtdilover

TDI
2001 4motion ARL 150
Im gonna use the one of tdi 1.4, 1.9 AGR AHU 1Z. They have a small fixed geometry turbo that should require extra lengh to the oil drain line I guess. (028145736AE)
It seems that BHW has longer one too

I thought that it depends on which manifold you have, I can't stand using a cast welded manifold so someone made a 304 tubular manifold for this GTD turbo, so it is really high in position to compare to the stock turbo.
But you ended up with BHW oil return so it shouldn't be really different

Last edited:

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
There you go! The turbo I am installing is welded to a stock OEM ALH manifold so enough length to make the transition to the block.