Malone Tunes, CEL?

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Hello all,
TDI shopping lately. I drove a 2011 JSW TDI that is said to have had the Malone Stage 2 engine/DSG tune performed. It was a decent vehicle, but it's showing a CEL. The one-owner says that's from having the tune done. Is that correct? Do Malone Tunes cause a check engine code to be tripped?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hi, no it should not. I had old 2011 JSW with nearly 300k miles. Had malone stage 2 and dsg tune. Ran flawlessly for over 100k miles.

Do she still have DPF in her? It could be that or something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Loads of reasons for a CEL. Some relatively minor, some not.

This is correct. There are many possible reasons for a CEL, but a Malone tune is NOT one of them. Do not buy this car without scanning for fault codes first, preferably with a VW specific scan tool (like VCDS). You want to know why the CEL is on. Then you can decide whether or not it is worth buying.

Have Fun!

Don

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, she was a blast to drive. Drives a gasser car without feeling sluggy acceleration at first to 2nd gear like a stock vw diesel car. She goes like a brand new car like if she is in constantly sport mode but nope she isn’t. Plus the MPG gain was nice. Around 5-7 mpg more and the DPF/EGR delete.... she bellows black smoke from time to time to get tail gaters away from my rear end. That was a bonus part ha ha.

What differences did you notice with the DSG tune and did you think it was worth the money?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

crustodd

TDI
Buying an '09-'12 JSW
Thanks for the replies. That was what I was thinking. With 123K on it, a clogged DPF is a good possibility

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm that is most possible reason. If you have VCDS that will be answered quickly. I have VCDS myself. Love it.