SMF clutch noise under partial/heavy load

hajes

TDI
Skoda "Hilda" Octavia HR I
Hi, guys I recently upgraded my OEM DMF clutch on Octavia 2 (2006).
I went for Sachs SRE with Darkside Development flywheel.
I'm aware of slighter noisier idle with SMF flywheel (I used to have Subaru and TDi is nice and quite in comparison :)
What scares me most that after about 100km my car started to make scary noises under partial/heavy load...standard acceleration from 5 to 6th gear. Or pushing it hard in mountains at any gear.
It sounds like barking noise similar to leaks in intake manifold. It is not happening in gear 1-4 under normal/partial load but it is standard at 5-6th gear even at highway cruise speed. I get same power as before but I'm not sure whether this is normal noise with SMF.
The flywheel seems to be dodgy from beginning and I suspect there is something wrong with it - poorly machined and balanced.
Any suggestions, please?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
did you replace the throw out bearing? did you beef up the fork or replace it with stronger one?
did you break in the clutch properly?

this sounds to me like a gear issue
Octavia? you mean October?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
reads like compressor surge, are the vanes free?

if it sounds like the turbo, then it likely is, as a clutch noise will be at engine speed, can be load dependant, but turbo sounds are very distinct in that you can generally get them to happen independent of RPM
Octavia? you mean October?
no
skoda

Last edited:

hajes

TDI
whole clutch kit is Sachs SRE, except the flywheel. So throw out bearing, pressure plate, clutch disk.

I have been driving for 200km slow and steady

Car was ok before the clutch and DPF replacement. Turbo is new max. 30k km. So either turbo or DPF is faulty.

I know how sounds turbo surge, I already damaged one turbo while learning engine calibration :-D It sounds similar but you cannot find it at high revs, only at low revs with poor remap.

hajes

TDI
Turbo surge is phenomenon caused by low air flow at low revs. It is romantic barking inside intake manifold with possible thrust bearing damage in long term.

My car sounds similar across broad range of revs up to 3000revs under partial to heavy load. I doubt turbo suddenly died just by sitting in garage.

As I said, all sounded normal with little idle noise until 50-th km of test drive. I wonder why.

All bolts were tighten according Skoda's torque moments and all has been secured by screw lock glue similar to Locktite.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Did you install a lighter flywheel???

hajes

TDI
they say, flywheel is about 10kg and OEM DMF is 12kg...it means more vibrations?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
they say, flywheel is about 10kg and OEM DMF is 12kg...it means more vibrations?
Lighter flywheels on TDI's causes issues. That could be your problem.

hajes

TDI
so far I hear only noise. Issues mean, my engine will be damaged in long term?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No long term damage.

hajes

TDI
UPDATE: one airbox screw with damaged thread...that's what made barking noise.

Sadly, excessive "ringing" vibrations remained.