parts recyclers in New England / NY / NJ?

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Have any northeastern USA members had much experience with parts yards in this area? I'm searching for a yard with VW's (obviously) to scavenge for interior parts and other random non-dealership items. I've done some searching and found several that seem to have lots of VW's:

Greenleaf / ABC used auto parts in Leominster, MA
Jerry Brown's Auto parts in Queensbury, NY
Aaron Auto Supply in Medford, NY
Hunt's Point Auto Parts in Bronx, NY
Tom's foreign auto parts in Waterbury, CT
VW Parts in Fleischmanns, NY
(Probably many I've missed)

Does anybody have experience with any of these yards? Have I missed any obvious ones within a couple hours' drive of SW CT? Does any yard allow the customer to pick off his own parts anymore? Could I stop asking dumb questions already?

The forums seem like a good place to swap advice on this sort of topic - it's hard to get this kind of information except by word of mouth.

Thanks in advance! Now, if I could just find time to clean my intake...

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Double Z Motors in Fishkill/Cold Spring NY, 845-896-7930. Pete is a great guy but does not have a lot of newer cars. Still, a great source for pre-99 parts.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Actually, danix, those two sites are exactly where I found all these yard listings!

It seems like when I email about parts listed on car-part.com, nobody gets back to me. When I call, the parts are not there. I have had similar experiences with copartfinder.com, although not as bad.

When I was younger my dad got to know some people who ran a yard that was chock full of Audi and VW's. We got to the point where they would just wave us into the yard to get our parts ourselves. Although the character of this yard has changed through time and ownership changes, I'd like to try to find this sort of situation again.

Thanks for the tip on double z.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
jck, there are tons of bone yards in my immediate area. I can't say that I know there are lots of derelict VWs within.

There is a small VW repair shop in Bellingham MA (on Rte 140) that seems to have lots of old cars. They may know where local VWs are sent to. I will try to find their name and send it to you.

I know ABC in Leominster is a major player when it comes to foreign cars.