Won't start...no power to locks, trunk, windows, interior lights and sunroof.

psychadila

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Left work today, car stays in valet lot all day, and car wouldn't start. Dash lights come on, hear click, no crank. Of course, valet knows nothing. Tried to jump to no avail. Noticed key fob won't work locks, or set off alarm, windows won't come down via switch but will with key in drivers door lock, sunroof won't open and interior lights don't work. Trunk won't open with switch or key. Any sugestions? Relay 109? It's been a while since i've had to replace it but I don't remember it having an effect on so many functions. I thought maybe anti theft had been triggered so disconnected & reconnected battery (this had worked in the past when anti theft was triggered) to no avail. Car got new starter this winter and starter hasn't shown any symptoms of failing. Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks! Katie :confused:

Last edited:

copatdir6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi
Katie, can you give us some details on your car....Jetta? Beetle? Golf? What year? Any mods? Any previous symptoms? Anything newly installed?

psychadila

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Sorry...thought that was in my signature. It's a 99.5 Jetta TDI. Nothing newly installed. No mods. In the last year it's gotten a new clutch and a new starter. Has been running like a dream. Driver's side door pannel has been loose. Wiring inside drivers side door looks ok other than door panel light bulb. Thanks.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Did you check your battery for voltage? Sounds like a very very drained battery.

psychadila

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Was going to do this morning, but meter is shot. Picking up new one at lunch and will give it a shot. Will let you know. Thanks

psychadila

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
If it does turn out to be very drained battery, what could have caused it to drain so much so quickly? Valet probably moved my car around noon and it was dead at 6. Was thinkging maybe the alternator has gone, but wouldn't there have been symptoms?

wildkitty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
GAH! When the alternator goes... there are no symptoms. I had my pulley snap and drove 200 kms at 5AM to the dealer (long story) without any power steering or lights :( That was lovely. Didn't know what was wrong when it happened either. I had to open my door with the key as well.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
And you're right about it not being the relay 109.

Battery/ battery cables are the immediate problem. Could have been caused by a bad alternator, or the valet leaving the radio on while you were gone.

Can you charge the battery where it sets?

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
Jump starting requires heavy duty cables. when they are connected, you should let them sit for a bit before trying to start the car. And you should turn everything off and remove key while waiting. Basically give the battery a chance to recharge some.

psychadila

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Battery is sitting pretty at 12v so I guess that rules that out. I left the cables on for about 15 min last night before trying to start it with everything off and there was no change...no crank, just click. Am begining to lean towards the alternator...any way I can check to be sure before sending it off to the VW doctor? It's just strange...valet claims he moved it at 10am, so assuming he's telling the truth, it just crapped out while sitting?? Seems strange.

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Sedan (Lemons racer), 2010 Touareg
I don't think the alternator has a lot to do with it. Unless you have heard strange noises from the engine compartment, I am gonna have to agree with the "replace of battery" crowd. Shout if you need a hand.

psychadila

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Hey Allan...I guess there's no harm in letting the battery sit on a charger tonight and trying it again tomorrow. I tested the voltage on the battery and it's reading 12v...so I thought that meant it was ok....Let me know if anyone has any other ideas. Thanks so much, Katie

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
How old is this battery?

If it discharged a bunch, enough that it could not start the car, and then sat doing nothing for a few hours, the voltage could float back up to normal. If the battery is not that old...

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the battery is reading 12 even, it's low. It should be at least 12.5 with no load. If you turn on the key and it drops below 11, it's gone.

Also - charging over night won't hurt. Might focus your attention on what the problem really is.

Last edited:

psychadila

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
I would be so happy if it's just a dead battery. Not quite sure what "might want to focus your attention on what the problem really is" means...am guessing you feel strongly it's the battery. If that wasn't what you meant, please let me know. If it is just the battery, sorry for having wasted your time. Just seemed odd to have drained so completely. In all my years with this car I have never had the battery drained completely so as to have no crank and none of the other features mentioned. Battery is 12.5 with no load, 12 when turning the key...sorry should have been more specific in my last post. Anyhoo...will update the thread tomorrow with results of charging the battery over night. Thanks again everyone for the help, Katie

MCR

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
psychadila said:
Just seemed odd to have drained so completely. In all my years with this car I have never had the battery drained completely so as to have no crank and none of the other features mentioned. Battery is 12.5 with no load, 12 when turning the key...sorry should have been more specific in my last post.
It sounds just like my battery last summer except that my battery dropped to about 1V during cranking. Are you getting the 12V number you mention when the key is in the start position?

What I found was that jump starting was useless. The last test I did before I bought a new battery was to actually install a battery out of another car. It started right up.

If the voltages are as you say they are, I'd start checking if the starter is seeing the battery voltage when the key is turned to start.

I actually doubt your 12V number. I don't think the locks and other stuff would freak out unless the voltage drops way below 12V. I think your battery is broke. Mine appeared to have lost a cell (1/6 of the battery). When you check the voltage during cranking, have the person turning the key hold it in the start position until the meter stabilizes. Some cheap meters are very slow to respond.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
psychadila said:
Not quite sure what "might want to focus your attention on what the problem really is" means...am guessing you feel strongly it's the battery.
I feel strongly that the battery and cables should be eliminated as the problems first before other efforts are expended. Get the VOM on the battery when the key is trying to start the car. Also check the cables to make sure that they are good, clean, and attached well. This may not be the problem, but you should be able to test it easily and then start troubleshooting other possibilities.

WrEkkED

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 TDI Sport
Batteries can have good voltage, but still have lost capacity and not be putting out much amperage. I'd grab another battery, if it doesn't fix the problem, take it back and say you got the wrong one. If it isn't the battery, then I really have no clue. Would have been nice to have tested the voltage before putting it on the charger. Does everything else work with the battery charged up except the starter not kick in now? If so, def the battery.

psychadila

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Tested voltage again before taking the battery off tonight. Was 12.9 with no load, 12.6 with key turned. Still not much is working...doors, alarm, interior lights, sunroof, trunk don't work. Radio, horn, brake lights, brights, heater all work. Got home, hooked it up to the charger, was on charger for 15 min and charger says it's at full charge. Checked cables last night for tight fit, checked for coorosion, etc. Will try this battery again tomorrow, if not will try buying another battery. Also, this battery was purchased Feb. of 07...so it's really only a year old. Thanks again

MCR

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
psychadila said:
Tested voltage again before taking the battery off tonight. Was 12.9 with no load, 12.6 with key turned. Still not much is working...doors, alarm, interior lights, sunroof, trunk don't work. Radio, horn, brake lights, brights, heater all work. Got home, hooked it up to the charger, was on charger for 15 min and charger says it's at full charge. Checked cables last night for tight fit, checked for coorosion, etc. Will try this battery again tomorrow, if not will try buying another battery. Also, this battery was purchased Feb. of 07...so it's really only a year old. Thanks again
I just want to be certain I understand what you've done: Let's think of the key as having 4 positions: Off, Acc (where the radio works), On (where the dash lights all come on and where the key is when you're driving), and Start (which is a momentary position that returns to On when you let go).

Are you getting 12.6V in the On position or in the Start Position?

If it's in the On position, you need to test the start position. This usually requires another person, unless you've got test leads with alligator clips.

If you're seeing 12.6V in the Start Position, then something is wrong between the key and the starter.

What you're seeing sounds like the exact opposite of this:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=133767&highlight=load+reduction+relay

I'm not knowledgeable to help much at this point (if it's not a battery). My short list is Relay 109, Load Reduction Relay, A loose ground wire, bad ignition switch. My 2003 has a little braided strap on the starter that looks corroded and nasty. I've been keeping an eye on it. I'm not sure what it is, but I suspect it's a ground wire.

The click you hear when attempting to start sounds like an indication that your ignition switch is okay. Perhaps someone else can find the thread about diagnosing a no start. I am being summoned to do housework.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Relay 109 would not stop the starter from turning over. Other items brought up certainly make sense.

clean the grounds.

tdi_allan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Sedan (Lemons racer), 2010 Touareg
Switching my opinion

MCR said:
rdkern's link (above) is what I was thinking of:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199398
Didn't think of the clutch or ignition switches. Doh! Seems like trying the hot wire method can rule out the clutch switch and point the blame in the direction of the ignition switch from what I read in that post. Its worth noting that a valet (in Chicago) drove the car last, who knows what really happened? :)

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
I had a similar issue 2 weeks ago. The wire from the battery to the starter was loose. The retaining nut on the starter was backed off over an inch making the connection not always there.