No dash lights and no start!!! Help!!!

jdevink

TDI
Golf, 2000, red
I tried to start my 2000 Golf TDI this morning and none of the dash lights came on. As well, the running lights were on even with the parking brake engaged. Worse still, the car didn't start, it would crank over, but no sputter or nothing. I've had the EGR plug up before and I got a little sputter when trying to crank it over. There is nothing in this case. Like if you disconnected the plugs in a gas engine. Based on the additional symptoms I think it is probably an electical problem, but why would a diesel crank over and not start if the EGR is not the problem?

Any suggestions would be of great help. I called the VW shop and the only mechanic there until Tuesday is an apprentice who was clueless.

Thanks,
JM

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
2 word... Relay 109
Note to self: Add to knowledge base that the Relay 109 doens't just fail when car is running.

I think I'm running out of memory here folks, would you please stop learning me things?

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
2 word... Relay 109
Note to self: Add to knowledge base that the Relay 109 doens't just fail when car is running.

I think I'm running out of memory here folks, would you please stop learning me things?
Yes it does. It happened to me twice while driving on the highway.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Right, I knew it failed when running, I just didn't know that it would fail when not running.

jdevink

TDI
Golf, 2000, red
Well, turns out it might not fail when the car is off. I replaced the relay switch and that is not the problem........

Any other suggestions? See original post for symptoms...

Thanks for the help

JM

jdevink

TDI
Golf, 2000, red
Nope, everything is fine in that department. I am pretty certain it is an electrical problem because of the lack of dash lights. I just checked the grounds under the battery and played with them a little, but no change.

any other thoughts?

jdevink

TDI
Golf, 2000, red
Thanks for the suggestion, but we're fine there too. There might be a bad ground somewhere else in the electrical system, but I think this one is beyond me and without a VagCom I can't ask the CPU what the heck is wrong. So, to the dealer she goes...

Thanks all for the suggestions.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
So, to the dealer she goes...
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Well, if you must.

jdevink

TDI
Golf, 2000, red
Trust me, I share your sentiments...
The first time I had EGR trouble, they were about to rip the head apart thinking it was a head gasket. Then, luckily, one senior mechanic came by and pointed out the obvious. 150$ later my EGR was clean. I avoid that place as much as possible, but this time I can't afford any more time trying to figure it out. I tried what I could (relay 109, coolant migration, bad grounds, egr) and nothing improved.

jdevink

TDI
Golf, 2000, red
I just returned home this evening with the car and here's the situation...
Turns out the morning after I had it towed to the VW shop they tried starting it and sure enough it started first try. They went through and essentially checked everything I already had and found nothing. There were no codes in the CPU, other than one for the glow plugs (another issue), but nothing related to electrical problems. I asked them when they checked the grounds if there was any water under the battery, because it was wet when I had it in my garage. Of course, it was all dry under the battery when they checked. So, I think that in the end, given all the signs and symptoms and that it was not the relay 109, it was a bad ground.

Lesson learned: periodically check the grounds and ensure you have them well protected with dielectric grease.

Dick_Larimore

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 GL Passat & '05 GLS Passat & '05 Beetle TDI
I seem to remember that others have had this problem due to an intermittent ignition switch. The contact surfaces inside the switch gradually degrade. Apparently the problem can not only be highly intermittent, but also sensitive to temperature. If it's the ignition switch, the problem will become more frequent.