Aftermarket axle (09A driver side)

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Brand is GSP

was cheap ($74) and in stock so I decided to give it a go.

Installed at ~185k.

Just starting this thread to share my experience with it.

Still have the oem on hand. The joint seems ok. Started to notice some uneasiness over 40mph so maybe it isn't???

Anyway, I'll rebuild the oem when and if the cheap one fails.

Happy fixin' y'all!

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
You never say how many miles on the replacement axle. Would be a good thing to know how long they last, in general.

Rebuilding the OEM is the way to go.

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon, 2005 New Beetle, 2013 Sportwagen
Or idparts has OEM quality GKN axles for $250 each.

I rebuilt my OEM right axle with GKN CV joints, but the inner CV joint failed when I was cruising down the interstate at 65mph in the leftmost of 5 lanes in Denver. I don't know exactly what failed first; the joint was in pieces and several of the bolts to the transmission flange broke. Fortunately, 1) the axle didn't catch on anything in the road 2) I was able to coast through all 5 lanes and make it to the right, and 3) there happened to be an exit there. So I coasted as far as I could on the exit, then called a tow truck.

I replaced it with a cheap one from O'Reilly, but within a month I started having issues: noise plus pulsing under acceleration. At first I thought it couldn't be the axle since it was so new; but eventually I broke down and bought a GKN axle from idparts. That fixed the issue and I've had no problems since (probably 30K miles on the GKN now).

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
That's really good to know. I think all my oem one needs is a boot kit but I haven't inspected closely yet.

I was mainly curious how far a $74 axle would take me. The fact that it was amazingly in stock (in Hawaii and especially during covid that's pretty great) was the real push.

Or idparts has OEM
quality GKN axles for $250 each.

I rebuilt my OEM right axle with GKN CV joints, but the inner CV joint failed when I was cruising down the interstate at 65mph in the leftmost of 5 lanes in Denver. I don't know exactly what failed first; the joint was in pieces and several of the bolts to the transmission flange broke. Fortunately, 1) the axle didn't catch on anything in the road 2) I was able to coast through all 5 lanes and make it to the right, and 3) there happened to be an exit there. So I coasted as far as I could on the exit, then called a tow truck.

I replaced it with a cheap one from O'Reilly, but within a month I started having issues: noise plus pulsing under acceleration. At first I thought it couldn't be the axle since it was so new; but eventually I broke down and bought a GKN axle from idparts. That fixed the issue and I've had no problems since (probably 30K miles on the GKN now).

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm replacing the clutch on my 2005 Beetle. The project stalled a while back, and I'm just now picking it back up. Before it stalled, I bought 2 new O'Reilly axles for it BEFORE I have the issues I described above on the 2003. However, I'm now going to spring the $500 to get two new GKN axles instead of the O'Reilly ones. That's how much I distrust the cheap axles.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
Problem for me is the cheapest new oem axle I can find is $400. For ONE axle. Rebooting the oem one as a backup. Good thing is I have a solid warranty on the gsp. Though I can't just return it.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
I have a tiptronic transmission.

Problem for me is the cheapest new oem axle I can find is $400. For ONE axle. Rebooting the oem one as a backup. Good thing is I have a solid warranty on the gsp. Though I can't just return it.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have OReilley axles on my BHW for the last 50k and zero problems at about 65ea.
There were 2 versions- Chinese and Mexico remans. Mine are the latter.

Last edited:

shoebear

Veteran Member
TDI
You're right, it doesn't look like idparts carries the GKN axles for Tiptronic -- only for manual. They do carry some low cost Tiptronic axles, but they are from GSP North America, not GKN. I don't know anything about their quality, except that idparts usually does a good job of vetting their suppliers. You might want to call idparts and ask them. If possible, talk with Peter.

Otherwise, their OEM VW axles are $400 for the left and $318 for the right.

I have OReilley axles on my BHW for the last 50k and zero problems at about 65ea.
There were 2 versions- Chinese and Mexico remans. Mine are the latter.
I have heard mixed results from all the auto parts store suppliers -- O'Reilly, Autozone, etc. I have no idea why some of them seem to work fine and others not. I only know that my O'Reilly axle lasted only a 2-3K miles before I started getting pulsing, which got progressively worse, and then noise. I also work on my cars outdoors, so major jobs are tough in the winter; and I am WAY too busy, so my time is pretty valuable. After having both a GKN rebuild and an O'Reilly axle fail, I was willing to shell out $$250 for a pretty much sure bet quality axle. Of course, this is a decision each of us have to make for themselves.

Last edited:

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
http://www.raxles.com has quality axles for BEW autos with tiptronic.

OEM were not even available from the dealer last fall when I was shopping for one.

The R axles unit was top quality OEM unit with new VW joints. The inner tripod joint looked somewhat improved as it was slightly larger. Was about $250 if I recall correctly.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
I'm aware of raxles. So far so good with my Autozone GSP. Rebooted the old one (had to diy a split boot kit since I don't have the tools to separate the inner joint and wasn't gonna take the time to take the outer joint, clips off and reboot both sides and yada yada yada. I used a combo of loctite pro glue and permatex silicone. I honestly think it'll hold up if I use it.

Took the chunk of change I spent and bought a badass makita 1/2 impact. Future jobs like this will be wayyy easier now, including the strut mountain I thinkni need to replace soon.

arcking

TDI
2x '04 Jetta Wagons (BEW/09A), '13 JSW
I think you're best bet is to rebuild the original axles if you can find the joints. Over the last 100k miles I've been through 5 aftermarket axles on the driver's side, including one or two branded GSP. That's just counting the axles I actually took possession of, there's a number that I turned down at the store due to defects or slop. I find that the inner joints get sloppy and start causing vibration. That in turn then reduces the lifespan of other front end components.

Does anyone have suggestions on where to find good quality joints for these axles?

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
I won't rebuild the joint. The inner joint kit is $50 less than an entire axle. Maybe it's different for others, but for a tiptronic, it's either:

1. Reboot if you can (mine is rebooted and ready to go)
2. New OEM axle
3. Cheap aftermarket
4. Junkyard

Not in any particular order.

If my cheapo fails, I'll throw in my rebooted oem and hope it lasts. Or maybe try another cheapo (warranty) for ****s and gigs.

jptbay

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle, 2006 Jetta Wagon
I've posted this here before, but here it is again.

SKF offers an inner tripod joint kit that seems to be only available in the European market.

I've bought them before from Amazon Germany or UK, and eBay. SKF VKJA 8014 is the part number.

Easy to swap the joint on the axle. You don't need any of the special pullers shown in the repair manuals. They pop on and off with a soft faced dead blow hammer with the axle in a vice.

black_slug

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf
That looks like a great find! Any personal experience with it? I need to buy a decent vice to use in my apartment anyway. Biggest thing for me was only finding a $350 joint vs $400 for a new OEM axle.

Supposedly you can buy raxles for $250 bit I think I'd rather go oem.

I've posted this here before, but here it is again.

SKF offers an inner tripod joint kit that seems to be only available in the European market.

I've bought them before from Amazon Germany or UK, and eBay. SKF VKJA 8014 is the part number.

Easy to swap the joint on the axle. You don't need any of the special pullers shown in the repair manuals. They pop on and off with a soft faced dead blow hammer with the axle in a vice.