Brake bleeding procedure on a 2013 Jetta

sp55

Veteran Member
I recently installed a brake master cylinder on a 2013 Jetta and ended up getting air into the system. I bled the system the conventional way, but could not get a good pedal---could only get a good pedal after pumping the pedal twice, indicating that there was still air in the system. After some research, I found that I needed to use my Ross Tech to bleed the system. I plugged-in, went into Basic Settings and then into the Bleeding Brakes procedure, but was having trouble following the prompts---I tried several times with a helper, but with no success. I am getting good bleeds, that is; had no air bubbles in the bleeding tube and started with the left front and worked my way to the right rear, but still had air in the system. I did some more research, but could not find anything real clear-cut for instructions on the bleeding the brakes with the scanner.

Wondering if there is a printed info page to guide me with the bleeding procedure?

Thanks

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I recently installed a brake master cylinder on a 2013 Jetta and ended up getting air into the system. I bled the system the conventional way, but could not get a good pedal---could only get a good pedal after pumping the pedal twice, indicating that there was still air in the system. After some research, I found that I needed to use my Ross Tech to bleed the system. I plugged-in, went into Basic Settings and then into the Bleeding Brakes procedure, but was having trouble following the prompts---I tried several times with a helper, but with no success. I am getting good bleeds, that is; had no air bubbles in the bleeding tube and started with the left front and worked my way to the right rear, but still had air in the system. I did some more research, but could not find anything real clear-cut for instructions on the bleeding the brakes with the scanner.

Wondering if there is a printed info page to guide me with the bleeding procedure?

Thanks

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you install it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sp55

Veteran Member
I did, but not very well. On a 2013 Jetta, you need to remove the reservoir to access the inboard mounting nut for the master cylinder, which makes bench bleeding a challenge and a mess. I got it bled, but still got air into the system.

I've installed lots of master cylinders in my day where you bench bleed it, bolt it on, top it off and you're good to go---not the case with this one!

super1

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I did, but not very well. On a 2013 Jetta, you need to remove the reservoir to access the inboard mounting nut for the master cylinder, which makes bench bleeding a challenge and a mess. I got it bled, but still got air into the system.

I've installed lots of master cylinders in my day where you bench bleed it, bolt it on, top it off and you're good to go---not the case with this one!

Remember how to bleed with the VCDS but did you do a Google search on how to do it?
I’ve read that it makes you bleed it for a while before you get the OK on the VCDS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sp55

Veteran Member
I did google it and came up with inconsistent methods using the VCDS, therefore leading to the confusion on how to do it correctly. I found the prompts on the VCDS to be a little vague, that's why I'm looking for a more detailed summary of the procedure.