Sept. VA/MD/DC GTG in Winchester VA

JKnowledge

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS Silver with Leather
I would like to host a GTG in Winchester, VA in the last half of September that includes an afternoon drive thru the mountain roads into WV. Since I have never hosted a GTG, any suggestions are welcome. We can discuss a date and figure a day based on what is good for the majority of people that want to attend. I will figure out a meeting place and a driving route.

JKnowledge

Veteran Member
TDI
There is an Italian restaurant in a strip mall with a sizable parking lot. I would grill at my house, but parking is TIGHT. Maybe I'll talk to some of my neighboring business owners about using a lot within walking distance of my house. I'll pin it down over the next couple of weeks once I get a feel for how many people are interested.

turbopwr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 04-PD, Blk/Blk
Count me in. Sounds like a mini-rally through Frederick Co. into WVA and back. (I live here, too.) Just enough fun to get ready for a good meal. Maybe a visit to Belgrove and stop off at Wayside Inn for dinner, or Castiglia's is good, too.

Fred

99.5 Jetta TDI Classic Black

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Green, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI Blue
I was going to try to host a non-work picnic GTG in Harford County MD this fall (north of B-more) but I don't think I will be able to get it done.

I think we should try to find a public park, get everyone involved to chip in $5 when they come and pay back the host the rental charge for the day.

We could do a cookout, some games, NO WORK, and socializing. I know from my experience, I spend so much time under cars at GTGs that folks recognize me only when they see me from the waist down now!!!!

Mikey

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hmmm. It would be cool to host something like this at
my new place in Vienna. I'm right next to an industrial
park, across the street from a church, and 1 block away
from the W&OD trail. Unfortunately, the house doesn't
have parking for more than three cars, so I'd have to
go around to the businesses/park service and ask.

Anybody know what the deal is there? Is there insurance
problems? Do you need a permit or a waiver of some sort?

Jud.

JKnowledge

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, guys, looks like I have 2 attendees so far. Anyone else interested in this GTG? I like the idea of driving out towards Belgrove and stopping at the Wayside Inn on the way back. Let's make that the tentative plan. I guess that means eat lunch on your way over. Maybe we will set the meeting time up for 1 or 2 in the afternoon. I'm excited about this!

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
Probably will be easier to get more people if you set a date. I'm interested, but it depends on when you want to do it.

Jason

JKnowledge

Veteran Member
TDI
Let's go ahead and set it for Sept 20th. This can be changed to the 21st of anyone would rather do it on Sunday.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Hi,

Count me in! I'll come up with my daughter. Saturday is definitely better for me. Any recommendations for hotels and such just in case I decide I don't want to drive both ways in one day?

Thanks,

Scott

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd
I'll plan on attending, although I won't know for sure if I'm available until later (I usually don't know about Saturdays until the day before). Sounds good though, I'll do my best to make it.
Sunday would be better for me, but lets see what everyone else has to say.

-Nick

PS, if the date is for some reason changed to the next weekend, count me out... I'll be in Indianapolis for the F1 race.

NewJettaGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Passat Sedan
Headcount for Saturday, Sept 20th:

Yes
JKnowledge
NewJettaGuy + Co-pilot
turbopwr
POWERSTROKE
StealthTDI
Jump62 + Co-pilot

Maybe
Birdman
Mikeyworks
Judson
TheLongShot
Snoopis

Did I miss anyone???

Jump62

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GlS,2006 NB (Crew Chief),2009 JSW
Sounds like fun, count me in. A GTG with no jack stands just doesn't seem right but my co-driver will love it, she likes cleaner fun.
Paul Rieger
aka Jump62

JKnowledge

Veteran Member
TDI
Awsome!! Glad to see this coming together. For any of you guys driving significant distances, there are quite a few hotels in Winchester, and they are rarely booked solid except for when graduation time rolls around at the university. Is noon a good time to meet? We could have lunch at Pargo's (It's close to the interstate, and right on route 50), or if you already ate, just meet there, hang out for a bit, and then go for a drive. I'm getting excited already.

volksviggen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS ,blue
Question for you:

Any good windy dirt/gravel roads out that way that upon which someone could play in an old Audi Quattro?

JKnowledge

Veteran Member
TDI
My roomate and I do it all the time in his Quantum Syncro. Come out sometime, and he can show you the best roads. I'm still kinda new to the area. E-mail me and I will give you more info, or just come to the GTG.

JKnowledge

Veteran Member
TDI
Definately going to happen. I think we may actually do a cookout at my house afterward. Parking shouldn't be too much of an issue.

vavet5308

Veteran Member
TDI
Guinevere 00 Golf GLS Silver
dangit...I'll be doing my annual training for my reserve unit. Otherwise I'd love to do it.

How many TDIers do have in central VA, near Charlottesville?

TheLongshot

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon '03 Reflex Silver
I know there is at least one Green Jetta Wagon owned by a young lady, since I saw her at the Charlottesville Marathon...

Jason

turbopwr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 04-PD, Blk/Blk
NewJettaGuy said:
Headcount for Saturday, Sept 20th:

Yes
JKnowledge

NewJettaGuy + Co-pilot
turbopwr
POWERSTROKE
StealthTDI
Jump62 + Co-pilot

Did I miss anyone???
Definitely count me in for Sept. 20th. Looking forward to a nice drive in 'the country'. The cookout is definitely more socialble and 'cost effective' than a restaurant. Let me know closer to time how I can assist. Email me.

Fred (turbopwr)
99.5 Jetta TDI, Classic Black

JKnowledge

Veteran Member
TDI
New Head Count

Yes

JKnowledge
NewJettaGuy
turbopwr
Powerstroke
StealthTDI + daughter
Jump62 + CoDriver
IRV
mikeyworks

Maybe
Birdman
TDI-NEVER-DIE
Hoffer

Let me know if I missed anyone....

This will be alot of fun. I'm really looking forward to it.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I would like to be counted in, plus Girl Friend. on the Sept. 20th GTG. If ya don't mind a TDI comin' a herr above the Mason-Dixon line. HeeHee

Beowulf

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta, 1998, Green
Put me down as a maybe. It would probably be me, my wife, and 2 sons. However, I'll just be back in town from a business trip. I'll give you a definite answer closer to the date.

mikeyworks

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Green, 2000 Jetta GLS TDI Blue
I think I'm gonna have to bail, unfortunately...

That's the same day as the Busch race in Dover, De. and since I skipped the spring race, my social obligation to my family binds me to this one!!!

Mikey