Help!!!!

Jwcollins79

TDI
05 Gls TDI
Same problem here! Started about a week ago. After car sat for an hour or two it would start but with bad “misfire” feel. But ran great with good power after warming up. Then two nights after stopping by a friends house it wouldn’t start at all. Just cranks over. Now I need to also add that I too started getting puffs of white clouds accompanied by strong diesel smell. Once even through my ac vents. And car has slight chatter... almost like a lifter tick? Seems to get louder with different types of different fuels I run. (Usually a BP bio blend) I absolutely love this car. Please Help!!! 2005 Passat 2.0 TDI. AT with 149k miles.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
No listing of vehicle. 2005.5 is different than a 2004. BEW or BRM?

In any case, it's a PD motor, which if you think you have to run 'alternative' fuels, you run quite a risk in damaging the injectors. We also recommend changing the oil VERY frequently, 3,000 miles, and running a purge directly to your injectors on a regular basis.

Better yet, stop wrecking your injectors with bio. What is happening is any residue that does not burn gums up the injectors and keeps the injectors from internally seating. After a shutdown period, fuel will drip into the cylinders, causing a plume of white stinky smoke at startup. Also, the delay in startup can be that the injectors leak enough to cause you to lose prime in the fueling.

Altogether, biodiesel has been an issue with any of the VW's. In spite of the people who may rage against me saying so, we have too much evidence to show that these expensive injectors do not do well over the long haul. A rebuilt set will cost $900-1100 to put back together. We have brand-new sets for $1500.

We highly recommend the use of Tier 1 fuels, like you might find at a Petro or Kum and Go.. MFA. I don't know who you might find locally, but if you look up vendors of tier 1 fuels, I bet you can find them.

We also see associated cylinder wear from bio use which causes compression drop in the cylinders. If you broach 390psi on a compression test, you are at the limit. Compression readings on a good engine should be 460psi.

If you cannot start the engine due to loss of prime, the easiest way to get the engine primed is to remove the glow plugs and with a fully charge battery, run the starter in 30 seconds intervals until you see fuel mist ejecting from each glow plug hole. Reinsert the gp's and the engine should start quickly.

Any further issue, feel free to contact us.