2007 V10 in Truck Pull?

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon 144,000 2003 Eurovan VR6 2007 Touareg V10 TDI 158,000
I am hoping and planning to pull in our local truck pull with my 2007 Touareg V10 TDI.

I have installed new camshafts from Frank Irving, a Stage 1 tune from Malone Tuning, and straight pipes.

I know I don't have a ton of power (360hp), but it will be fun, and nobody is going to expect a small suv to compete against big diesel trucks.

So, my question, I have no experience pulling, and I do not know how to set my suspension and drivetrain?

Should I put it in low range, or high range?
Traction control, or no?
Just floor it, or not?
Should I have the air suspension low, or high?
I should be able to put 1000-2000 lbs in it to get me to the weight limit, is that a good idea?
I don't know how the transmission will shift, so I am wondering about using tiptronic to shift it manually, or should it just be in drive or sport?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The proper way to sled pull: don't do it.

I have a feeling you're not going to listen and care about the amount of wear and tear(more than just your powertrain) and likely things you'll break. Run in 4 low. Run normal to high air pressure on the rear and low air pressure on the front. Then pray you don't break anything. Keep the RPM high and pray you don't break anything.

You also want as much weight up front and should have the rear higher than the front if possible.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The proper way to sled pull: don't do it.

I have a feeling you're not going to listen and care about the amount of wear and tear(more than just your powertrain) and likely things you'll break. Run in 4 low. Run normal to high air pressure on the rear and low air pressure on the front. Then pray you don't break anything. Keep the RPM high and pray you don't break anything.

You also want as much weight up front and should have the rear higher than the front if possible.
Sound advice!

Oh please PLEASE get a video. Not even gonna try and talk you out of it. :D
+1 :D

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'd suggest driving such that the transmission has to shift as little as possible, and also pre-lock the differentials (well, that happens when you shift into low range anyway, right?)

From a stop, in 4L, you can shift into 2nd gear. I'd suggest doing that instead of 1st.

-J

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you all very much for the information. I will definitely pray that I don't break anything. Even if it is not the best idea that I have ever had.

So, I will plan on four low, with as much weight up front as possible. I will experiment with what gears at what speeds, if I start in 2nd, maybe that will be all that I need.

The pull is in Evart, MI (Osceola County Fair) on August 2nd, and anyone if welcome to come. I will definitely get a video.

My concern at the moment is that the hitch may not be strong enough, but I am hoping it is.

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
I did quite a bit of testing with low and high range yesterday. If I use low range, the transmission will be shifting alot, and I know that will cost me speed every time that happens. I am planning to just turn ESP off and use high range in 1st and 2nd gear.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
For the auto, use 4 low. It's alright if it shifts. Get the tension out of the chain before hitting it. Then slowly ease into the throttle when you go and work your way to full throttle by the time it moves 5 or 10 feet. Don't ever let up until you're at a complete stop! Even when the sled is bringing you to a stop, you need to stay at full throttle until you're at a complete stop and the wheels are still spinning. Otherwise, the sled will slam into your trailer hitch and mess up the chassis even more(along with your neck).

Also, FSU alum here.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Do you pull? Got any videos you'd like to share? :)

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Do you pull? Got any videos you'd like to share? :)
Hi Lawson! :)
Even though the engine setup I have would be perfect for a 2.5 puller, I'd rather not break it. Though I was talking about this with my buddy who used to compete in the 2.6 and his prediction is that this will happen:

https://youtu.be/TvhNwU0VaS8

He was saying that you want a stiff and taller rear end, the shorter and softer rear end is a good recipe to get some serious oscillation. The sled will keep adding tongue weight as it moves forward. Needless to say, we're very interested in seeing the results and the wear.

While we're at it, here's his DD 6.4 (destroked 6.7) Cummins towing a 10k trailer. And yes, he's nuts.

https://youtu.be/zbVwx4qmV14

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Hi Lawson! :)
Even though the engine setup I have would be perfect for a 2.5 puller, I'd rather not break it. Though I was talking about this with my buddy who used to compete in the 2.6 and his prediction is that this will happen:
https://youtu.be/TvhNwU0VaS8
He was saying that you want a stiff and taller rear end, the shorter and softer rear end is a good recipe to get some serious oscillation. The sled will keep adding tongue weight as it moves forward. Needless to say, we're very interested in seeing the results and the wear.
While we're at it, here's his DD 6.4 (destroked 6.7) Cummins towing a 10k trailer. And yes, he's nuts.
https://youtu.be/zbVwx4qmV14
Haha! I love that second video. I used to do stuff like that in my 6.0... great fun. :D

Jesus Is Lord

Veteran Member
TDI
God may have saved me from breaking my car. The track was all muddy, so they called off the pull. I will keep you updated if anything changes.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Good Ol Boys around here like to do that. It's entertaining to grab a beer and an ear of corn and watch their engines explode. :D