Need help with 2016 Sturgeon Bay, WI TDIFest

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The Stoneharbor Resort looks nice, as well, and could potentially be a better location than the lodge.

I'd recommend comparing both hotels for space, price, and amenities.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
QUOTE=jonferns;4886018]Not too far from Road America either[/QUOTE]

You got that right. I've been goin' there since Mark Donahue tore that track up with an AMC Javelin, and then a Porsche 917/30. History in the making. They also ran the TDI Cup series there.

Last edited:

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Not too far from Road America either
Road America is about 2.5 hours away from Sturgeon Bay, so you could stop by and check it out on the way up or on your way home.

The Stoneharbor Resort looks nice, as well, and could potentially be a better location than the lodge.

I'd recommend comparing both hotels for space, price, and amenities.
The limiting factor with Stone Harbor is the parking. Granted there is a parking ramp closeby, but it's a public parking ramp.

With The Lodge, we'd have access to the entire 12 acres The Lodge sits on, so that would plenty of room for parking.

For anyone that went fishing, they could bring it to the chef at The Lodge and have it prepared for them.

For anyone that would want to camp my parents have offered up the open lots that are behind our house, since unfortunately The Lodge isn't permitted to have any camping on their site. Our house is about a mile from The Lodge.

QUOTE=jonferns;4886018]Not too far from Road America either
You got that right. I've been goin' there since Mark Donahue tore that track up with an AMC Javelin, and then a Porsche 917/30. History in the making. They also ran the TDI Cup series there.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw-HyrvPXeo[[/QUOTE]

I'm excited that next summer the Indy series is going to be coming to Road America June 23-25th,2016.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
For anyone that would want to camp my parents have offered up the open lots that are behind our house, since unfortunately The Lodge isn't permitted to have any camping on their site. Our house is about a mile from The Lodge.
If the exchange rate doesn't improve, this could be a great option for me.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Camping is definitely getting more popular with TDIClubbers, so having a spot a mile from a venue would be a great option for some people.

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
You've got to start your cigarette and booze smuggling ring now to offset ;)

It's 18 hrs for us thru Montreal and onto SSM. Not bad

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just shy of 15 hours for us, although we'd probably do one way through the UP and across the Mackinaw bridge, which increases it to about 17 hours. One stop somewhere in the middle each way (Lancaster, OH on the way out, Adrian, MI on the way back), and we're good to go!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Camping is definitely getting more popular with TDIClubbers, so having a spot a mile from a venue would be a great option for some people.
I kind of figured some people would want to be able to camp. :)

Heck for $5 to cover utilities, I'll open up my apartment that got added to the back of my parents garage after my accident to anyone that would wanna shower.

The only thing they would have to bring with them is their own soap, shampoo, and towel.;)

Would having tech sessions at our shop, where there is a 2 post lift to utilize be a good option? Like showing how to change transmission fluid, replace suspension bushings, etc where getting the car off the ground would be advantages?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
Would having tech sessions at our shop, where there is a 2 post lift to utilize be a good option? Like showing how to change transmission fluid, replace suspension bushings, etc where getting the car off the ground would be advantages?
I think that would be ideal, myself. I'd be willing to do a session or 2 - i've done a couple of these jobs over the years....

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I think that would be ideal, myself. I'd be willing to do a session or 2 - i've done a couple of these jobs over the years....
I'll inquire with my Dad if he'd be willing open up his shop for a few tech sessions to be held there. He didn't mind me having a few gtgs there, so I don't think it'll be an issue.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds better all the time. It's not just a mile away but this is where I just came from
http://pennygeitner.vpweb.com/
Yeah, Bailey's Harbor is a little more than a mile away.;)

For those that want to stay at an actual camp ground in the Sturgeon Bay area, here are your options.

Potawatomi State Park (Locals call it Pot Park) lol
http://wisconsinstateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/potawatomi-state-park/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=WI&parkId=60036

Tranquil Timbers
http://www.tranquiltimbers.com/

A little further away is Jellystone Park
http://www.doorcountyjellystone.com/

15 minutes north of Sturgeon Bay is Harbour Village and they have a small water park for those with kids.
http://www.harbourvillageresort.net/

Here are all the options.
http://www.doorcounty.com/stay/campground/

Reviews of the RV Parks.
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/wisconsin/sturgeon-bay

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta
Renting out an entire property where I can camp (in my RV) AND spend money with them in other ways would be ideal. It worked out flawlessly in Maine, camping in the parking lot was a dream!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I was just trying to say there are other options to staying in the Lodge that many might find enjoyable.;)
Don't worry, I know. I was just stating that Baileys Harbor is more like 30 minutes away. People can stay where ever they want ;)

Renting out an entire property where I can camp (in my RV) AND spend money with them in other ways would be ideal. It worked out flawlessly in Maine, camping in the parking lot was a dream!

When I asked about camping on site, they said they could sneak one by, but no more. That's why I mentioned people could camp in our 2 open lots behind our house. Our house is a little over a mile from The Lodge. For reference, I can drive there in my wheelchair. :D

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
It's a two day trip for me. That's four days driving and three days at the Fest. I could do that.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Some of you guys are hardcore!!

I'm in WI almost every weekend and was in the Dells this past Labor Day weekend, to our surprise it was very empty. Most schools start either right before or right after the holiday weekend, parents are too busy buying clothes and supplies for their kids.

What sort of activities happen at these TDI Fests?

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Ive always wanted to go to a TDI fest but I don't want to drive 20 hours or more, granted it would be fun but it's just to much. A fest in Green Bay would be great. I will help anyway I can don't know what that would be but I am game.

VeeDubTDI

TDI

I'm in WI almost every weekend and was in the Dells this past Labor Day weekend, to our surprise it was very empty. Most schools start either right before or right after the holiday weekend, parents are too busy buying clothes and supplies for their kids.

check out http://wiki.tdifest.com/doku.php?id=tdifest2015:start&redirect=1 for more information on what happened this year in Maine.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
The last fest in Wisconsin (lake mills)was fun. At the end of the days it was a little quiet, but the daily activities were a blast.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Labor day is a suoer busy weekend for Door County FWIW. Just mentioning. But, it's also good for the spouses that want nothing to do with the fest. Stuergon Bay is an hour drive to Gils Rock depending on traffic. LOTS to do and see all over the area and you have Washington Island. Just don't speed there....Doug Huffman lives there and won't tolerate it!

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
It's a two day trip for me. That's four days driving and three days at the Fest. I could do that.
IMO it's worth the trip.;)

You're actually accurate on how things slow down as we get closer to Labor day.

The normal activities are Tech Sessions, locate were certain pictures were taken, vendors have booths/tents setup to show case their items and most of the time they have TDIFest discounted prices because they don't wanna bring the items home if they can help it.

If it does come to Sturgeon Bay I'm working on getting a mobile dyno, segway tours, charter fishing for those interested, kayaking, winery tours, local sites to see, and I'm sure there are more things I'm forgetting. :cool:

Ive always wanted to go to a TDI fest but I don't want to drive 20 hours or more, granted it would be fun but it's just to much. A fest in Green Bay would be great. I will help anyway I can don't know what that would be but I am game.
There will be a quite a bit going on leading up to the event that will need to be assembled or put up, like tents, banners, tables, etc. and that's where I'll need help.;)

check out http://wiki.tdifest.com/doku.php?id=tdifest2015:start&redirect=1 for more information on what happened this year in Maine.
Thanks for the link.:D

The last fest in Wisconsin (lake mills)was fun. At the end of the days it was a little quiet, but the daily activities were a blast.
There's a pretty active night life in downtown Sturgeon Bay, plus The Lodge has a bar onsite. The bars downtown are right around a mile from The Lodge/Snug Harbor Inn, but if people end up staying Stone Harbor they are 2 blocks away from the other bars on 3rd Ave and there"s a bar at Stone Harbor too.

Labor day is a super busy weekend for Door County FWIW. Just mentioning. But, it's also good for the spouses that want nothing to do with the fest. Sturgeon Bay is an hour drive to Gills Rock depending on traffic. LOTS to do and see all over the area and you have Washington Island. Just don't speed there....Doug Huffman lives there and won't tolerate it!
When I talked with the owners wife, she mentioned that things actually start slowing down a week or 2 before Labor day with school starting both college and K-12. They aren't usually fully booked for Labor day.

Another good point on the amount of shops that have everything you can think of for the wife/girlfriends to purchase. There are trolleys that can be used to shuttle people to and from The Lodge to downtown Sturgeon Bay or if they wanna walk along Memorial Drive it's only a mile or so to get there and they can admire the amazing scenery and homes along the way.:cool:
http://www.doorcountytrolley.com/

Very true on a trip to Washington Island making a great destination to visit if you have the time. On the drive up you'll see all of northern door county and you'll have an amazing ferry ride over to the island, which has a slew of ship wrecks, since Lake Michigan meets the bay of Green Bay there and causes treacherous waters. Along with the sea floor changing abruptly doesn't help matters either.

ech0sh4y

TDI
'06 Golf TDi
I'd love to go to a Door Co. fest! My parents live in Elison Bay and i grew up in Fish creek (boaters). I'm all for the idea!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
If it's in Wisconsin, I would even go. I have a sister-in-law living in Tomahawk and can make a side trip there. Plus, we have some friends and family in other nearby stops in Illinois and St. Louis. :)

Doug Huffman

Veteran Member
Washington Island, on the other side of Death's Do
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2K3 Silver gone to new home
Is Tim K. family? Ask him about Washington Island, he's been up many times.

LOL Speeding on the Island? Why bother, it's five miles from one side to the other, and less as the Lake is rising.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/98/85/3b/98853b4b32993ce8cddee29aa7aea44f.jpg Road to Northport ferry dock

From Blowing Rock, NC, where it's still raining after three days, with more forecast.

Last edited:

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Is it possible that the Packers would be playing at home that weekend? I'm not a big fan, but it would certainly tip the scales for me. I would love to go to a game, even if it''s preseason.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Is it possible that the Packers would be playing at home that weekend? I'm not a big fan, but it would certainly tip the scales for me. I would love to go to a game, even if it''s preseason.
There's no way of knowing this far out what the 2016 Packer schedule will be, but there's a 50/50 shot that there will be a game that weekend.

I agree, that if there was a game that weekend it would be an added perk to coming to a Sturgeon Bay, WI TDIFest.:D

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
There's no way of knowing this far out what the 2016 Packer schedule will be, but there's a 50/50 shot that there will be a game that weekend.

I agree, that if there was a game that weekend it would be an added perk to coming to a Sturgeon Bay, WI TDIFest.:D
Even if they're not playing, you can still take a tour of Lambeau Field and hit the Pro Shop.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Even if they're not playing, you can still take a tour of Lambeau Field and hit the Pro Shop.
Very true about getting a tour of Lambeau, but there is nothing like tailgating and going to a Packer game.

I took some photos The Lodge and the surrounding area.

Here are some of the photos, there rest can be found can be found in this folder.
http://s21.photobucket.com/user/3L3M3NT36/library/Sturgeon%20Bay

Some of the better photos.

The walk to get downtown from The Lodge

The grounds for overflow parking and area to set up tents.

The parking lot

This is how close Snug Harbor Inn is from the entrance/exit of The Lodge

Here is the view looking out of the entrance/exit of The Lodge