Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DogTrainingTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
DCELL said:
HAL- Make sure Vegbug adds you to the email list. If there's one thing he's good at, it's emailing people!
Well then, I am really feeling left out:(

He still hasn't emailed me from the GTG. <sniff> <sniff>

crazyjo

TDI
2003 Golf TDI - Candy White
I didn't get it either! I think something went wrong.... Anyway, I had a great time Sunday and I think making a regular thing of it is a great idea.

Also, a newbie pm'd me today looking for a guru in the area. Anyone? And I meant to ask on Saturday, have any of you ever done a timing belt? I'm balking at the $200+ price tag for the tools and would love to borrow/rent a set if anyone is willing and able.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Crap! I only got one bounce back from one person! Ok, will retry again tonight to send list of those in attendance.

VegBug

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
Jo-
I have a vag-com if your newbie needs diagnostics, but I'm certianly no "guru" (ask VegBug!). There are a few of us that are going to need to do belts soon- I'll bet we could come up with some kind of shared buy on the tools. I would be willing to pitch in, but we need some knowlege to go along with the tools. I just wish there was someone among us who had attempted this before. Maybe Greg L would come out of retirement to teach us...

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
I have tools and have done many timing belts - 4 on the TDI engines. The PDF written by DBW is excellent. If we have several people who need TBs done and want to do them, we could have a GTG possibly. I'm thinking about charging a nominal fee for use of my tools - say $20. The money could go into a pot to buy more tools. Just an idea...

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
I think it's time we do a quick poll of those of us that are in need of TB change. Then based on that split cost of renting or buying needed tools then help each other out replacing TB. Just a thought what do you guys think?

VegBug

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
Dasher- You may just be the guy we've been looking for! I'll volunteer my car for a TB change at a GTG! I'll supervise! Actually, if you are willing to teach/ rent out tools, I think there are several folks that are willing to learn/ rent your tools. We need to talk it over at our next GTG.
VEG- for your poll: DCELL has his hand raised!

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
EXCELLENT!!

Ok sending out another email to the group. If this doesn't work I may have to have each of you PM with your emails.

VegBug

guiffster

TDI
05 Passat TDI
Been reading the posts from the past few days. I wanted to come down for the GTG on Sunday, but could not get my schedule cleared in time.:(
Anyway, I have two tdi's and both are overdue for TB changes. I have the belt for my Passat, but have not ordered one for the Jetta yet. Count me in on getting greasy :D and working on the vehicles at a GTG, as long as I can work it into my schedule!

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
I should have mentioned that I only work on the 1999 - 2003 engines. I just don't have any experience on the 2004 and later PD engines.

crazyjo

TDI
Well, obviously my hand is raised as well. We have an oversized four car garage (like we could fit 5 Golfs/New Beetles in it if we were careful) and a big driveway...I'd be willing to host a TB bonanza as long as it's pretty soon...like maybe next weekend, the 26th? I also need a new alternator pulley and the car is out of commission until the work gets done. There's only so much carpooling David and I can stand. :D That being said, I don't actually have parts yet...so I guess we can stand it ok. Also, I'm totally willing to pay rent on tools. Mad_Dasher, I am at your mercy. :)

Oh and PS Neil ~ still no email...I blame my handwriting...I'll pm you and see if that helps.

DogTrainingTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
TB is at 80k right?

I think I'm still a little ways off, but I still would like to see one done.

Jerry I got your email from the GTG.

crazyjo

TDI
As I understand it, pre-2003 manuals are 80k. 2003 and later manuals can go 100k. I'm not sure about automatics...

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Since CrazyJo appears to be in dire need of the TB change maybe when she's ready those that could make it over help and watch. I would love to get the whole thing on video for future group members needing the TB service.

I just sent an email out to Micro_Racer about checking out his BioD setup. Once he replies I'll send everyone an email to vote on, if necessary, on what the next GTG topic should be.

Thanks

VegBug

PS-anyone have Brothersnag's & X_Railroader email? Theirs keep getting kicked back.

crazyjo

TDI
So on that note, Mad_Dasher, could I borrow you and/or your tools next weekend to do the change?

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
As I said in a previous message, I've done several timing belts, have the tools, etc. But I'm wondering how deeply I really want to get into all of this work. I'm 51 and while I still like working on cars, but I hurt more than I use to the next day. I would like to propose the following possibility:

Fyrsail came and helped me change the clutch on my car this week. He has a very good mechanical aptitude. In addition, he is strong as a horse and would like to work on TDIs. Furthermore he is only 31. His work schedule allows for free time each month. I spoke with him today, and I would like to nominate him as a local guru. True, he doesn't know everything yet, but with only a little patience we could have somebody here to work on our cars. I would be more than happy to help him with the first TB and others can watch if they want. After that I have no doubt he could work on his own. Again, he is very mechanical.

If others want to save money and do their own TB, I would be happy to rent tools for $20 and offer any advice. The writeup done by DBW is very good and leaves little room for needing any real help if you are mechanical. A person just needs to be very careful and take their time on the 1st job.

The above is really just a proposal. Let me know what you think.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Is there anyone in the group that has access to some welding equipment or someone that can do some welding?

I ask as I need to have a funnel welded to the bottom of a 55 gallon drum to create my cone bottom biodiesel processor. I can purchase the funnel but if I could I would rather fashion a piece of metal into a cone and have that welded on with the appropriate NTP fitting.

Thanks

VegBug

crazyjo

TDI
Hey guys, one more mooching question: does anyone have the metalnerd tools required to replace the alternator pulley? They're only $30 so no biggie if I have to buy them but if someone would be willing to loan/rent, that would be great.

As for the timing belt change, I just ordered parts so I'm hoping they'll be here by the end of the week. Anyone who wants to observe and/or help is welcome. I will plan to do it Sunday afternoon so I have the extra day for parts to get here, just in case. Let me know if you're interested.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Hey CrazyJo,

What time are you going to start on Sunday? I would love to come and video tape and help for a little while. I can't stay for the whole time as I have a family cookout I have to be at.

Thanks

VegBug

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
crazyjo said:
As for the timing belt change, I just ordered parts so I'm hoping they'll be here by the end of the week. Anyone who wants to observe and/or help is welcome. I will plan to do it Sunday afternoon so I have the extra day for parts to get here, just in case.
You're going to start a TB job on a Sunday afternoon?! :eek: If you've never done one before figure on taking longer than 3-4 hours to do it. Experienced TB gurus can do it that fast but not the rest of us. Just hope you can get it back together including the timing check via Vag-com (you have that on hand, right?) before it's time to head to work on Monday. If it were me I'd start Saturday morning so I have the entire weekend but if you feel you can get it done that fast correctly more power to you!

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
CoolWht is probably correct. I'm embarrased to say my 1st job took 12 hours, but all I cared about is getting everything done correctly. If I were to do a job now, it would probably still take 5-6 hrs.

guiffster

TDI
05 Passat TDI
So... Is it safe to assume we are not doing this on Sunday? Dasher isn't available. It was my understanding we were leaning on his expertise/experience while we venture into the mechanical newbie unknown. Jo, have you done a TB change before?

I would love to partake in this educational event as I have 2 TDIs needing TB changes and I don't have a VagCom or any of the other required tools to do it. I do have one of the belts, if that counts for something. I also talked to a diesel repair shop in Marion and they informed me it was just as important, if not more important to replace the tensioner pulley for the TB at the time of doing the TB. He told me the reason the TBs fail is that the pulley locks up and breaks the belt. I don't know if this is correct info or if he was just trying to pry green from my ever tightly clinched fingers but it at least might warrant some thought.

I am brave enough to venture into the unknown of doing my own repairs enough so that I get to the point of being dangerous. It is mostly driven by being a cheapskate though. Changed struts this past weekend myself on the Jetta. Not a real difficult job, I found out, but it was time consuming. End of weekend, I saved myself $250 as quoted by the cheapest shop in the Marion area. Might tackle the shocks later in the week or next weekend (depending on if the TB change is still on for Sunday). I also need to install my Co-Pilot on the Greasecar system in the Jetta this week (ASAP). I overflowed the trunk tank a few times on purge - OOPS!!!

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
Guiffster,

Your shop is absolutely correct about replacing the tensioner. The water pump can also fail and rip the TB to shreds. I find it best to replace the tensioner, rollers, and water pump. Even replacing the serpentine belt is a good idea since it can break and wrap around the crank leading to TB failures. Online kits such as: http://www.dieselgeek.com/servlet/Categories?category=%22Deluxe%22+TDI+Timing+Belt+Kits have all of these parts included. FWIW, when I replace a TB for someone, I insist on one of these kits.