Snow Tires 17" Goal Wheels 2010 JSW?

wwrivers

TDI
None Yet
I live in Montana, and think I will put snow tires on my JSW I've owned for 6 days. Our JSW came with 17" Goal wheels. Should we put snow tires on these wheels, or would we be better off getting steel 16" wheels and tires from tirerack.com? It doesn't look like it would cost much more to get wheels and tires from tirerack than it would cost to just get the tires here. Any advantage to either setup? I've heard smaller wheels are better in snow? Also, what damage can occur to the Goal wheels in snow conditions? We don't use much salt here in Montana, but sand is common, and we will probably drive to Wisconsin this winter. Salt I think is common on the roads there. Any suggestions?

Finally, any suggestions on which tires?

speedy123

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI Highline Manual (On Order!)
You can't beat tirerack for great customer service. I just bought a package from them last week for 16" steelies, wheel covers, and michelin x-ice Xi2 tires 205/55/16, all for about $800 shipped to Maine (I'm in Canada). The 16" will work well and future tire replacements are cheaper than 17's. I thought I'd try this newer tire, but have always run blizzaks in the past.

Tiger04

TDI
2010 JSW TDI
I lived in Minnesota most of my life and Wisconsin for several years as well. Both states used salt and sand when I lived there. I never used a dedicated snow tire in the years I lived in either state and never had problems. If you want to go with a dedicated snow tire though I would recommend getting steel wheels and tires. That way you won't have to mess around with replacing the tire on your goal wheels twice a year. Keep in mind with the steel wheels you will need to get TPMS sensors for them or go without and remember the light will be on throughout the winter months. They say a narrower tire is better in the snow because you have less resistance not necessarily a smaller wheel. That being said though I always thought that pertained more for deep snow driving, like offroad.

Hamman

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDI's, but an '84 Rabbit diesel
Definitely go the the dedicated tire/steel wheel in 16". I've used them for my 99.5 Jetta and they work quite well. I already have purchased wheels and Firestone Winterforce tires for my wagon and it's not here yet!

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I've lived in WI and MI, and didn't get snow tires/wheels until 5 years ago when a friend with a WRX extolled the virtues of snow tires. I got a set of Dunlop Wintersports. I'm hooked now. :) Really makes your car more sure-footed, especially in fresh powder.

It used to be that a set of wheels would pay for themselves over having to do tire swaps at the local shop, but with the TPMS systems, it may be more cost-effective to have the tires mounted on your stock rims each season. That saves the cost of the rims AND the TPMS sensors. However, it's nice having a whole stack of wheels ready to go at the first snow -- you don't have to quick try to get to the tire shop, you can swap them yourself.

Steel wheels are cheap, but can be a nuisance when snow gets packed in them. Usually it's the rear wheels, and then they get very out of balance. I keep a pointed dowel in the hatch to poke out the snow. I think aluminum rims with bigger holes would be better in this regard -- it's a nuisance trying to poke out the snow through the little holes or slots on steel rims.

meowguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW, 2012 Passat TDI SE
I would go with the 16" wheels. You get a much higher sidewall with a 16" tire. That provides a lot of cushion in pot holes.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
The main advantage of the 16" wheels is that you will fit narrower 205/55-16 tires that will better dig through the snow, rather than ride on top.

When I got my car, I studied the options on Edmunds, and saw that the wheel I bought was installed at the Port of Entry, and the original takeoff alloy 16" wheels with tires were stored into the trunk of the car and sent up to the dealer with the car. So I requested that I get those 16 inchers in my deal, as I paid for them with the option. They honored my request. When I got the car with the second set of wheels (which had Bridgestone all season tires on them) I went to a Bridgestone dealer for Blizzaks. He gave me the wholesale value of the take off zero mile tires as a credit against the Blizzaks.

wwrivers

TDI
None Yet
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I'm leaning towards getting the 16" steelies with Michelin X-Ice Xi2 tires. Reviews on those look pretty good. Thoughts on TPMS? Is it worth $188?

speedy123

TDI
Canadian wagons don't have tpms, so I didn't need it. I wouldn't pay $188 for the sensors, especially for winter tires, when my $6 tire pressure gauge seems to work just fine. you'll just have to put up with the dash light on through the winter, although I think there is some way of making that disappear...probably can find out through a search here on the forum.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
VAG-COM can make it disappear

macbarr

TDI
None (yet...)
studded?

Does anyone have a recommendation on using studded snow tires versus studless snow tires? (particularly in the pacific northwest?)

Also, do people ever use chains on top of snow tires or this part of the redundant department of redundant?

thierryr

TDI
Jetta sportwaggen 2010 TDI
macbarr said:
Does anyone have a recommendation on using studded snow tires versus studless snow tires? (particularly in the pacific northwest?)
Also, do people ever use chains on top of snow tires or this part of the redundant department of redundant?
I'm also looking for studded tires, but they do not come cheap, most quote I got are around $1000.00 for 4 tires with wheels.
Any suggestion will be appreciated (specifically a cheap and good store)
Thanks
Thierry

speedy123

TDI
we have extreme winters here, and for icy conditions, you can't beat a studded tire. I use studless, only because the road noise from the studded tires on dry pavement is really loud and I find it too annoying, and some say the studs actually reduce your grip on wet pavement. Personal preference. Chains are illegal here so can't comment.

importjunk

TDI
2000 Beetle 2010 Jetta
Studded Tires

Studded winter tires are a great safety item if you encounter black ice, especially if you are not expeting it. Expect lots of tire noise and strange looks from folks in parking lots. Fuel mileage will be adversely affected. Spent 35 yrs. in a job that required me to be on the clock on time (early) no matter what the weather was.

Western NC mtn. climate more like New England than the South. Always carried a set of cable chains just in case. Used then only four or five times, but it sure beats walking.

Extra wheels are the only way to go. Had good luck checking wrecking yards.

Be safe.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
studs also add 10-20 a tire depending on what brand and how many. Isn't the new top of the Nokians studless?

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
dedicated rims, no question. Check out discounttires too, they usually have free shipping. I have also had great success on craigslist.

Aquaticdoc

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Studded tires versus winter traction tires

We have had both studs and the newer winter traction tires. The studs actually provided less grip in most conditions, were noisier by far and destructive to road surfaces. I have been absolutely amazed at the traction from the high-grip compounded tires, with siping. They are also actually quieter than our summer high speed-rated tires. We will never go back to studs.

wwrivers

TDI
None Yet
I got 16" wheels and Michelin x ice xi2 tires installed over the weekend, but only have about 10 miles on them so far on dry pavement. I'll report back on the traction when winter comes back.

One interesting note -- I didn't get TPMS on the new wheels and noticed today there is no warning light on the console. That's a bit troubling. . .

kenargo

TDI
2012 Jetta SportWagen w/Nav, Sunroof, DSG

I can report with certainty that there are times when snow-tires alone cannot get you there and chains can save your butt. I don't run studs but I have over the years had to pull the chains out to get me through a bad area; especially going up a steep slope in the mountains.