How much does wheel weight affect MPG?

s.pavel6

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
I've got a dilemma.. I have 3 sets of wheels and tires, and really can't choose what to run for the summer..

Choice 1: 15" Avus with BFGoodrich Advantage T/A 195/65R15 Tires
Weight: 16.5lbs (wheel) + 20lbs (tire) TOTAL: 36.5lbs

Choice 2: 16" Buggati with Goodyear LRS-A 205/55R16 Tires
Weight: 19lbs (wheel) + 20lbs (tire) TOTAL: 39lbs

Choice 3: 17" Long Beach with Continental ContiProContact 225/45R17 Tires
Weight: 23lbs (wheel) + 21lbs (tire) TOTAL: 44lbs

I would love to run the 17" wheel, for look and handling, but how much extra fuel will they cost me, with an extra 7.5lbs per wheel?

I mostly drive highway miles.

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I noticed 1-2 MPG loss going from 15" Avus to 17" Ariettas. IMO, you're affected less on the highway with heavier wheels. The start and stopping is where it affects you most

Last edited:

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
The wider tires, causing greater rolling resistance, are going to hit your fuel economy the hardest. It shouldn't be much more than 1-2 mpg though. :)

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Narrow tires, light wheels, harder rubber, and above recommended tire pressure...but below max = best mileage

Wider tires, heavier wheels, softer rubber, and low tire pressures all equal poorer mileage.

Where tires and wheels are concerned, performance and good mileage are usually mutually exclusive. It's usually one or the other. :)

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I noticed 1-2 MPG loss going from 15" Avus to 17" Ariettas. IMO, you're affected less on the highway with heavier wheels. The start and stopping is where it affects you most

I see almost the exact same change with the same wheels. It will be more niticable whith a greater amount of city driving due to the amount of "energy" required to start and stop the wheels with the greater "unsprung wheight", and "rolling resistance".

MrVermin

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I wonder how much the difference can be attributed to each factor:

Rubber content, weight of the tyres, stiffness of the tyres, temperature etc etc….

To address the original question, I believe it would be dependent greatly on your driving conditions and style.

In any case I would tend to believe the difference would be minor.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Ya, it seems that there are a lot of variables. Makes it hard to determine how much MPG anyone will gain or loose. :)

But there is a difference....so as long as the tires and wheels aren't super expensive I lean towards the fuel efficient side of things.

Personally my next 2 sets of tires for my TDI will be Nokian eNTYRE (summer), and Nokian Hakkapeliitta R (winter). I'm sticking with the 195/65R15

The wheels are 15" stock (Avus?) 16lb for winters, and 15" Centerline Neutrons 14lb for summers.

I fill them with Nitrogen....I've been using this for a few years and yes I'm sold on it.:)

And I fill them almost to the max pressure. (I haven't had any problems or odd tire wear from this.)

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
And I fill them almost to the max pressure. (I haven't had any problems or odd tire wear from this.)

It is not just possible tyre wear, but more important, is possible handling problems. I would not say anyone WILL have a problem, but it is possible. Sorry to say, but usually no one notices a problem until the damage is done.

Abaddon2501

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI Auto
I went from 15' Steelies to Long beaches and had no reduction in FE average 42mpg

Jack Frost

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Clean Diesel
I've got a dilemma.. I have 3 sets of wheels and tires, and really can't choose what to run for the summer..

I would love to run the 17" wheel, for look and handling, but how much extra fuel will they cost me, with an extra 7.5lbs per wheel?
I know this is not part of your question, but you should also consider that the heavier wheel will be more likely to bounce and hop when driven over rought or uneven roads or even hitting a pothole. During these conditions, you can forget about steering or braking or fuel mileage. It can also put a lot of stress on your transmission.

That might be even more important any theoetical fuel savings that a lighter wheel choice would give you.